Sponsored

Did Infotainment 7.0 to 8.4 Upgrade, worth it!

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I did the upgrade. It was about as easy as it gets. A few comments:
1) Carplay on the bigger screen is really nice. Waze is functionally better on the bigger screen.
2) I have a 2018 JLU Sport S, Off Road Pages does not work on my unit. I have heard mixed reports on this, mine does not have it. Infotainment made no promises that it would.
3) My XM ID is different. The unit is subscribed, but it does not have the same ID as the 7" that I replaced. Answers that question for me on if the tag is in the radio or in the antenna.
4) My USB2 port is not working with carplay. This may not be the unit, as I have read that this connection can be flakey for carplay unless everything is perfect. Will give it a shot with android auto and just media.

Overall, it is expensive, and seems to be well worth it.
Sponsored

Ricapar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport, 2009 BMW 328i Convertible
What aspects really make it worth it, other than the additional screen real-estate?

Is the interface more snappy/responsive, or is it about the same?

I'm tempted to do the same, but I haven't quite convinced myself to do it. I hardly use Android Auto/Car Play.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I did it as well I like the bigger screen but expect no support on software updates as jeep will not let you add it to your build if you didn't get it to begin with

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I did it as well I like the bigger screen but expect no support on software updates as jeep will not let you add it to your build if you didn't get it to begin with
Jeep is already blaming a current issue that I reported a few weeks ago on the 8.4" screen I added last weekend. Jeep Cares scans these forums. They added the fact that I upgraded my screen to my case.

Not impressed with FCA here. They are making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be. Completely unnecessary.

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Completely agree with willcasp... They have a db that they cant figure out how to update. If someone changes their radio, it should be able to be fitted to their jeep. I still can start the jeep, open the door locks, and locate the jeep of the person I bought the radio from... Can you say BROKEN! I want to be able to do this on mine not his!

Sponsored

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

jeep needs to get with it on the customer service aspect of this. There is no reason they should take this stance. They are missing out on a great sales opportunity here. This is definitely a customer DSAT issue, and another reason their customer service ratings are in the tank.

This doesn't have to be complicated. They are making it complicated.

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

What aspects really make it worth it, other than the additional screen real-estate?

Is the interface more snappy/responsive, or is it about the same?

I'm tempted to do the same, but I haven't quite convinced myself to do it. I hardly use Android Auto/Car Play.
A few notes:
1) My XM Radio ID changed. It is attached to the radio and not the antenna. Seems that I have free access with this one. Maybe a year? don't know
2) I use Apple Carplay. Waze is a lot more usable on the 8.4" screen than on the 7" screen. I think this is the real game changing faature. Bigger screen for carplay apps makes them more usable to me.
3) The 8.4" comes with HD Radio. It is a nice to have.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I’m glad I did the upgrade for me it’s just a matter of can I get this updated via USB when there is an update I have like 20 vins to check when a update comes out for the 2019 model radio

ENadeau

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
A few notes:
1) My XM Radio ID changed. It is attached to the radio and not the antenna. Seems that I have free access with this one. Maybe a year? don't know
2) I use Apple Carplay. Waze is a lot more usable on the 8.4" screen than on the 7" screen. I think this is the real game changing faature. Bigger screen for carplay apps makes them more usable to me.
3) The 8.4" comes with HD Radio. It is a nice to have.

Sorry to revive a year old thread but wanted to check in to see how things are for you a year later? I just made the same swap and all your points are accurate. Not sure how long Sirius will be activated for as my Radio ID is different as well. Besides USB2 not working, I lost my gridlines on the backup camera. Pulling the corresponding fuses wasn't able to fix the issue. Going to see if I can get my dealer to update the 8.4".

OP
OP
willcasp

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Sorry to revive a year old thread but wanted to check in to see how things are for you a year later? I just made the same swap and all your points are accurate. Not sure how long Sirius will be activated for as my Radio ID is different as well. Besides USB2 not working, I lost my gridlines on the backup camera. Pulling the corresponding fuses wasn't able to fix the issue. Going to see if I can get my dealer to update the 8.4".
My dealer refused to do any updates to the unit.

I installed the Alpine X409. Works great.

This whole experience has soured me on FCA. I like my Jeep. I dread interactions with the dealer or FCA.

This should be a really easy thing for Jeep to support. The install is brain dead simple. The problems that I am seeing are all related to the software driver stack for USB. The proof of that is that the USB ports work fine with the 7", fail with the 8.4". Points to the hardware is fine.
Sponsored