Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Sahara Unlimited sarge green
Occupation
Software Engineer
hi everyone,
I am a newbie posting for the first time in these Discussions. I have been following this forum for a couple of months. I recently bought my 2021 Jeep JL Unlimited Sahara sarge green SOT. I know it's late to post about prices once we buy. But still, I want to know whether I paid correctly considering the living state.
Okay, let's do some math.
I had a 2018 JK 2 door Sport S which I bought for 35K (otd). I traded it for 24K (I had a loan of 19K still with the bank) and bought a new JL.
the MSRP of JL was around 48K (otd price ~53K) although the Dealership had a discount selling and listed price of 43K (otd 48K).
So eventually I got the JL for around 41.5k (otd) where the Dealership paid off my old loan, took my 5k equity and took old JK.
Note : trade in value for JK was around 22k online. But dealership gave me for 24k.

I am trying to learn whether I overpaid? or made a profit? or paid correctly?
Sponsored

Last edited:

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
hi everyone,
I am a newbie posting for the first time in these Discussions. I have been following this forum for a couple of months. I recently bought my 2021 Jeep JL Unlimited Sahara sarge green SOT. I know it's late to post about prices once we buy. But still, I want to know whether I paid correctly considering the living state.
I had a 2018 JK 2 door Sport S which I bought for 35K (on-road). I traded it for 24K (I had a loan of 19K still with the bank) and bought a new JL.
the MSRP of JL was around 48K (on-road price ~53K) although the Dealership had a discount selling and listed price of 43K (on-road 48K).
So eventually I got the JL for around 41.5k (on road) where the Dealership paid off my old loan and took old JK.
The best thing you can do now is just enjoy your Jeep.

There isn't anything you can do about the price you paid. As long as the payments are something that you are comfortable with don't put to much thought into the other as it could tarnish your outlook on the purchase. If you want an accurate assessment you should post a picture of the bill of sale, blank out you don't want people to see. That would list actual prices and where they add items in the sale where they get over on customers.

*BTW Your Jeep looks AWESOME!!!

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I see a lot of these posts... As mentioned above, just enjoy it. Nothing you can do about overpaying after you leave the lot.

OP
OP
Rakesh_jeep

Rakesh_jeep

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I am indeed I enjoying my Jeep with at most satisfaction.
I see a lot of these posts... As mentioned above, just enjoy it. Nothing you can do about overpaying after you leave the lot.

Sponsored

Thegrants82

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
hi everyone,
I had a 2018 JK 2 door Sport S which I bought for 35K (on-road). I traded it for 24K (I had a loan of 19K still with the bank) and bought a new JL.
the MSRP of JL was around 48K (on-road price ~53K) although the Dealership had a discount selling and listed price of 43K (on-road 48K).
So eventually I got the JL for around 41.5k (on road) where the Dealership paid off my old loan and took old JK.
Overpaid considerably

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

the Dealership paid off my old loan and took old JK.
I highly doubt the dealer shelled out 19K for the remainder of your loan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what probably happened is that they took 19K out of the 24K they valued your JK at to pay off the loan on the JK. What did you do, or the dealer, do with the 5K that was left?

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
welcome to the forum. Just enjoy the ride!!

OP
OP
Rakesh_jeep

Rakesh_jeep

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I highly doubt the dealer shelled out 19K for the remainder of your loan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what probably happened is that they took 19K out of the 24K they valued your JK at to pay off the loan on the JK. What did you do, or the dealer, do with the 5K that was left?
remaining 5K they decreased from my JL where I eventually got for 41k.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP, it really hard to answer that question. I use these yardsticks for the two transactions that you describe assuming that you are paying CASH:

1) MSRP less about 10% is “fair” to me For the purchase of a new JL.... with a small doc fee/all other fees of about $200-ish..... ignore taxes....
2) Kelly Bluebook average trade-in value for the make/model/mileage/condition is a “fair” deal again.

where things get complicated is when the purchase of the new jeep gets conflated with the trade-in of the existing Jeep. then, complicating things further are the financing terms that a dealer will lay on you.... those can get tricky and it’s likely where an otherwise good deal may turn rotten.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
No that sounds amazing. If it makes you feel better i paid 75k for mine. Price was 58k msrp plus 6-7k in lift accessories, 8k negative equity and 5k for overpriced extended warranty. There was a discount i cant remember how much.

but you know what? Its worth every dime to me. If youre worried ablut how much it costs then you bought the wrong vehicle imo.

Deleted member 53226

hi everyone,
I got lost somewhere in the middle with all the numbers and such, but if you bought a Jeep, you can pretty much be sure you paid too much! Just forget about it and move on. Better yet when any Jeep people ask how much you paid, just tell them you expertly negotiated an out the door price of 15% under invoice (just to watch their heads explode).

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
hi everyone,
To see whether you overpaid or not, show us a build sheet or your Window sticker please. Based on your options it might be easier for us to tell. Nice to see a fellow desi in this forum. I thought I was the only one here.

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
If you're happy, then you didn't overpay... And if you're not happy, it's too late, so just enjoy it.
Sponsored