Sponsored

Have I missed a fix for wandering steering issue?

motor12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
retired
I have a 2018 JL Sahara that has a wandering steering issue. I have been following this forum for up dates and possible fixes but have not kept up with everything concerning this issue. Just today I discovered there is a TSB that has been out for a while. Am I SOL at this point.
Sponsored

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
I also have a 2018 with the extended warranty that I'm taking in tomorrow. Are you in/out of warranty? I don't think there is a limitation to the fix, but the question would be if it's cover by Jeep or out of pocket.

OP
OP
motor12

motor12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
retired
I don't have the extended warranty, so I may have to take the hit. I only have 11500 miles on the odometer because I hate driving it with the steering issue. I hope this is the fix to remedy it once and for all.

knick33

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (Ordered)
Assuming they approve my repairs, gave them video evidence and TSB number I'll report back and let you know how it goes. For comparison, they gave me a 4xE as a loaner and it's night and day difference with the steering.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have the extended warranty, so I may have to take the hit. I only have 11500 miles on the odometer because I hate driving it with the steering issue. I hope this is the fix to remedy it once and for all.
There are multiple TSBs related to the steering issues. Have you had any of them applied?

Some involving beefed up track bar, new steering stabilizer, software updates and most importantly replacing the aluminum steering gear with an updated steel version.

I've had them all done and most updates helped a little (except updated stabilizer did absolutely nothing) with the greatest improvement being the steel steering gear.

Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
besides for the sloppy steering box there's a few other things that are prone to give it that dead play. i'd find a "good" dealer in your area and pursue the TSB, get @JeepCares involved if you need to. i don't think the actual cost of the new steering box is all that awful, maybe have it independently installed if you can't find a dealer that will do the TSB on your '18. a dealer will need to update the software tho, don't leave that part out and don't let them bullshit you on it.

OP
OP
motor12

motor12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
retired
I had the stabilizer done when it first came out, it did nothing. I'm sure they will try to sell me a 2023 before this is all over. I've had many new jeeps but I would not buy another one if the problem is still an issue.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I had the stabilizer done when it first came out, it did nothing. I'm sure they will try to sell me a 2023 before this is all over. I've had many new jeeps but I would not buy another one if the problem is still an issue.
Not sure if you read my previous post about the multiple steering TSBs. However, the steel steering gear TSB by far made the greatest improvement for my 2018 JLU.

I also added a product call "Exact Center" in addition to a Fox TS stabilizer in the factory location. My steering is rock solid now even in high winds/on bad roads.

jc1003

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara, 2019 Pacifica, 2016 CX-9, 2023 Hornet
Occupation
IT
Not sure if you read my previous post about the multiple steering TSBs. However, the steel steering gear TSB by far made the greatest improvement for my 2018 JLU.

I also added a product call "Exact Center" in addition to a Fox TS stabilizer in the factory location. My steering is rock solid now even in high winds/on bad roads.
How did you install both at the same time?

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Nice setup...thanks for the pic
Glad to help. EC is one of the forum sponsors. There are a number of existing threads about the product in different jeep applications.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
besides for the sloppy steering box there's a few other things that are prone to give it that dead play. i'd find a "good" dealer in your area and pursue the TSB, get @JeepCares involved if you need to. i don't think the actual cost of the new steering box is all that awful, maybe have it independently installed if you can't find a dealer that will do the TSB on your '18. a dealer will need to update the software tho, don't leave that part out and don't let them bullshit you on it.
I bought a 2020 JT that "wandered", if I corrected it to the right, then it decided to wander right, I'd correct to the left, it would wander left.
My wife drove it back from Ft. Wayne and as she was leaving town she said "I hope there's no cops back there, they'll think I'm drunk". That was it - to the dealer with TSB in hand.
No argument "the parts will be here in two days, it needs a new steering gear".
They replaced it and it was fine for a few months but the next spring I could feel it getting looser again. I took it back, left it with them and asked them to drive it. We were just a few minutes away when I got a call "we need to keep it, we need to replace the steering gear".
Second time a charm - night and day difference.
My 2022 is really tight, No wander, no looseness at all.
Note that the TSB for the steering gear has gone through at least 4 revisions because dealers were putting the wrong steering gear on the wrong Jeep. Gladiators ended up with JL gear, JL's ended up with JT gear. So they color coded things.
First TSB also left out "alignment" after the gear change so people got their Jeeps back with the steering wheel off-center. (can't really align other than toe or centering the steering wheel)
Another revision added the pitman nut as dealers were using it over again - and people found the pitman arm to be loose on the shaft. The nuts have a factory thread locker in them and are single use nuts.
The final revision hopefully has it all correct. Replace steering gear - making sure to use the CORRECT part number, use new pitman nut, update software, align.
Original is a cast aluminum housing - dull gray or silver, the replacement is a cast steel housing and painted black.
Sponsored

Last edited: