Sponsored

Did I make a mistake getting a JLU instead of a JLUR?

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Every situation is different.
It doesn't take long to narrow the gap once you start doing upgrades.
Also, when it comes to resale time, you're not going to recover the $ you spent on the upgrades whereas the Rubi will have a higher starting point when looking at trade/resale value.
You also get some other goodies with the Rubi that you don't get with the sport:
115V outlet
Power Windows (comes on Sport S, but, not Sport)
Nicer cloth seats
Better base radio
Rock rails
Better brakes
Bigger alternator
Better base suspension
AC standard (comes on Sport S, optional on Sport)
Garage door opener
LED interior lighting and console bin task light
This is why I got a Sport S (tech, convenience, and cold weather package) over a Rubi or Sahara. Mine came with the small touch screen (but still AA and ACP), AC, power windows, garage door opener, and a few other things. Most of the other stuff can be replaced or upgraded after the fact.
Sponsored

Mike630

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Unlikely that you will ever be in a position where you'll NEED Rubicon capabilities when the Sport won't cut it. Enjoy your sweet ride. No regrets.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
A Sport will actually scare the shit out of you! It's very capable:like: Remember, there were no Rubicons in WWII :captain: and it wasn't introduced until 2002. Jeeps have been doing Jeep stuff long before the Rubicon:punch: Love your Jeep. Make it yours. Enjoy it:handsinair:

RastaPasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Like the others said, it's your Jeep, so only you can answer that. As long as your happy, then that's what matters.

That said, I've had 2 JKU's in the past (Altitude and X) and I've always had a bit of Rubicon envy. I'm on the brink of ordering a 2020 and it definitely will be a Rubi.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I personally don't have the liquid play cash or tools/garage to feel good about dropping $10k on axles, lockers, labor, etc. and the will to rip a $40k+ vehicle apart in the first years of its life. I envy those who do, and sometime in the future I hope to build a rig up like that, but for now a lease/finance of a Rubicon will get me a fun rig to conquer the many trails out here in SoCal and make small upgrades to here and there (a small lift, 35s, etc) without becoming an out of control hobby before I'm ready to afford a proper build. I can lease or finance a Rubicon, get the OEM fit and finish of a pretty capable rig with locking D44s, and pay about the same as I've always paid for my street-going vehicles. I'm in the process now of selling my Audi S5 for my first Wrangler after being recently hooked and introduced to the absolutely bonkers number of breathtaking trails within an hour's drive of here.

My good buddy who introduced me to this is trailing in a JLU Sahara w/ LSD, plans to get Rubi takeoff wheels, and is perfectly happy. We've gotten that thing through some absurd situations (Miller Jeep Trail/Lockwood) that surely looked like a bust with a stock JLU. It's all about what you want to do with the Jeep, what route makes more sense to you, and how far you're trying to go with upgrades.

Sponsored

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Did I make a mistake on getting a JLU instead of a JLUR?

Rubicons cost about 10 to 15k more, it does come with some nice upgrades, but I’ve always been a believer that if I buy a Sport and make it my own then it’s just a good without the higher monthly payments. You are going to replace wheels and tire, bumpers, add quick releases, skid plates, etc... to upgrade either Jeep. I agree if you don’t plan on doing those upgrades and want to off road, buy the Rubicon. Now, that I am in the stages of updating my sport, I keep being told you should have gotten a Rubicon and I keep asking myself why? Did I make a mistake?
Yes, the mistake was getting the four door. But in all seriousness I’ve seen and helped a lot of stuck wranglers and Cherokees because of broken axles, those Dana 25,30 and 35 really weren’t that tough because they tried to save weight and then people putting too large of tires they end up rescued by an IFS Dana 35 truck. You only made a mistake if you want to go above 35’s and not upgrade your axles. Rubicon axle housing are apparently a lot stronger on the JL where they aren’t bending with oversized tires.

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
Started out with a laredo Jeep YJ, then bought a JK Sahara and finally in a JLUR. I can say with a great amount of confidence that I wish i had purchased the Rubicon earlier. The extra features already baked into the vehicle along with the compatibility of such is unmatched. To the guys saying to just swap axles, consider that your missing out on one of the best transfer cases on the market. Keep in mind that the Rubicon is intended for those that actually use their vehicles offroad but at that, I have zero regrets with the purchase!

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Did I make a mistake on getting a JLU instead of a JLUR?

Rubicons cost about 10 to 15k more, it does come with some nice upgrades, but I’ve always been a believer that if I buy a Sport and make it my own then it’s just a good without the higher monthly payments. You are going to replace wheels and tire, bumpers, add quick releases, skid plates, etc... to upgrade either Jeep. I agree if you don’t plan on doing those upgrades and want to off road, buy the Rubicon. Now, that I am in the stages of updating my sport, I keep being told you should have gotten a Rubicon and I keep asking myself why? Did I make a mistake?
You did right. I was questioning myself until I decided to start mods then realized why pay for rubi parts if they're gonna come off anyway. If you plan on staying stock and off road then go Rubicon but if you are planning in upgrading parts then save your money. At the end of the day you only want the body of a wrangler since everything else will eventually be replaced.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
With my JKU which was a Sport S that I purchased prior to any researching I’d always go on a Wrangler forum, read posts, look at pictures and regret not getting a Rubicon. Same thing happened after I got my JLU Sport S this past March to be honest. It still happens today even though I know better. Reality is every time I step into my Jeep(both my JKU when I had it, and now my JLU) I have no regrets whatsoever. There’s nothing on the Rubicon that made sense for me. 4.10s would be nice, but it’s not necessary for 33s. I’m still hitting 8th speed at 60-65MPH on my 33s with 3.45 gears. I don’t need anything on the Rubicon. Sure, it’s objectively better, but that doesn’t matter if you’re not going to use what makes it better. For 33s, snow driving, mild off-roading, and beach driving a Sport S with LSD/D44 made the most sense for me again. Truth is even my Sport is overkill.

On the Rubicon the black inserts in grille, black/red emblems, rims, and KO2s are all nice stock.. But not what I want either. I wanted a black grille, blacked emblems, aftermarket rims, and Duratracs. If I bought a Rubi I probably would’ve just kept it stock since it would be good enough as is and not what I truly wanted. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I rather build my Jeep exactly how I want and not settle for good enough. I know if I bought a Rubi I would’ve settled personally.

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
When I bought my JK, I went with the Sport, turned it into a Rubicon with new axles, etc. In 4 years of off roading, much of it in Moab, I used my lockers twice, only really needed them once.

I just don't run enough hard core trails to need a Rubicon, so when we bought the JL we went Sport again, I plan on leaving the diffs open this time. Still running a lift and 35's with a re-gear, but that is all I am doing.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
When I bought my JK, I went with the Sport, turned it into a Rubicon with new axles, etc. In 4 years of off roading, much of it in Moab, I used my lockers twice, only really needed them once.

I just don't run enough hard core trails to need a Rubicon, so when we bought the JL we went Sport again, I plan on leaving the diffs open this time. Still running a lift and 35's with a re-gear, but that is all I am doing.
Unlock as much wheel travel as you can and that's largely a substitute for TADs

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
A Sport will actually scare the shit out of you! It's very capable:like: Remember, there were no Rubicons in WWII :captain: and it wasn't introduced until 2002. Jeeps have been doing Jeep stuff long before the Rubicon:punch: Love your Jeep. Make it yours. Enjoy it:handsinair:
Haha! Well there weren’t any Sports or Sahara’s either ;)

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Went from a 2003 Rubicon to a 2018 Sport. Only used the lockers a few times in 16 yrs. The Brake Lock Differential feature works well. In 2003 the Rubicon was leaps and bounds from a Sport but its not the case with the JL's.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Have you run into something you can't do yet? OK, then you're good. My $0.02. I knew I was going to use the Rubi and not re-gear or replace axles, so I bought the Rubi. I used my lockers probably 20 times in the first two months of ownership. And then I ran into trails I still couldn't do because of clearance, so I put on 37's and a lift. MPG kinda sucks now but it's 14-16 and that's only $80/month in gas difference from stock.

Last edited:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Love my sport. Got it with the hard top, anti slip diff, tinted windows and power windows and locks. Solid buy imo
Sponsored