Sponsored

Did I buy a used jeep that the dealer said was new?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
......Legally, at least in states I’ve dealt with, the vehicle is still considered new if it wasn’t registered. ... ..... It’s not crooked, it’s not required for disclosure, it happens all the time... .... If the OP is ok with 700miles and the condition, that should be the end of the story.....
Exactly. You know it had 700 miles when you took delivery, and the OP has said more than once that they were okay with it. So no harm no foul.
Carfax shows 1 owner, and a transfer between dealerships before that sale. Basically this confirms that the dealership got it on trade, and that it is legally a new vehicle.

That said, the distance (driving) between the two dealerships is 164 miles so it's very likely they drove it there.
Capture.JPG

This leaves 536 unaccounted for miles. As the others said, it was likely a sale that fell through and/or test drive or dealership miles. The original sale at the first dealership never went through so the Jeep was still technically/legally new. Anyone who isn't okay with that would obviously not sign the papers on one with 700 miles on it.

The OP is happy with the Jeep, it was legally new upon purchase. I've bought new cars with miles on them before, it's not a big deal. Warranty and everything starts on the purchase date/mileage so nothing is wrong with doing it that way. I mean really, if you keep the Jeep for 100,000 miles or more, is 700 miles really that big of a deal? I think we're making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So I finally picked up my JL Unlimited Rubicon in Firecracker red... Hooray! The dealer had to do a dealer trade to get it, when I got it it had 730 miles on it, when I said something they said the dealer they traded with was 500 miles away and yadda yadda yadda... So I shrugged it off as it was probably a show and tell rig and it is what it is. But as I'm going through it I found a previous owners temp tag receipt from Aug. So now I am really suspicious. Thoughts? PFA

20181002_144941.jpg
On the one hand, the fact that the dealer got you a Wrangler that was 500 miles away shows that it was willing to go out of its way to get you want you wanted. Most dealers won’t do a 500-mile vehicle locate.

On the other, the dealer should have told you that it was open to driving the vehicle 500 miles to save you shipping charges. This would have saved you the surprise of discovering that the Jeep had 700 miles on the odometer the day you went to pick it up.

Chances are the dealer refrained from bringing up any of these “issues” to minimize the possibility of losing the deal. If it had been me, I’d have preferred to know upfront.

The bottom line is: the Jeep is new. If it has the options you want, is the right color, and you got it for a good price, I’d express to the dealer my surprise about the unexpected mileage, but ultimately let it go and enjoy the Jeep.

Good luck.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Why is this still be debated? The post has been dormant for over a year...

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Because this is the Internet...

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yup, Lazarus thread. Happens all the time. Nothing wrong it. Heck you clicked on it and read this far too didn't you? Just a conversation, who cares how long ago it started or how long the break was.

Sponsored

devicemanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
FWIW my local dealer told me up front they were doing a dealer trade for my '20 JLUR, and that the out of town dealer would be driving the Jeep to swap out for the local trade. This also gave me leverage on the holdback and no dealer add-ons when negotiating my 7% under invoice deal.

OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
Jeep is running great tho, and no issues if yall wanted an update for this horse...

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Someone bought it and returned it before the dealer registered the vehicle. The owner drove with temp tag until it was returned. Dealers can issue temp tags up to 90 days
This depends on the state. In Oregon, issuance of a temp tag is proof of payment of registration fees and application for title. That vehicle has been sold and, for al intents and purposes, registered. It is “used” after that.
Sponsored