Sponsored

Did I buy a used jeep that the dealer said was new?

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
My few thoughts:
700 miles is not new regardless.
It was returned for some reason, financial or mechanical.
You were not the person to break it in.
I hope you got a very steep discount off invoice.
100% in agreement with this statement...700 miles is almost 1k. That's not new in anyone's language.

They should've loaded it on a truck for delivery; why would a dealership chance driving a brand new vehicle 700 miles from one lot to another? I'm not believing that....too many variables involved that could result in a horrible outcome during transit.

And IF they let someone test drive it for that many miles, they shoulda labeled it as "used", when the person returned it, because it is.
Sponsored

Shamus13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 98 TJ
Update: I ran the car fax $35 bucks is good for the piece of mind I suppose, and called jeep cares to get the warranty start info, and the dates lined up. So I'll just figure they had the paperwork ready and the orig buyer decided he/she didn't want it when they got it. Thanks for the assistance ya'll its so good to be back in the jeep world!
What about the mileage? Does the mileage match on the paperwork you signed and start mileage Jeep has on record when it went into service? Make sure you check this also. This will give you 730 more miles on your factory warranty since you didn't put those miles on the jeep.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Mine was also dealer trade - at 416 miles and driven from Provo to Las Vegas. I bought many cars from the dealer and I trust them.

To the OP:
I think it would not be worth for dealers reputation and legal risks to pull some con like that for a couple of thousand dollars. Don't worry.

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
700 miles is almost 1k. That's not new in anyone's language.
driving a brand new vehicle 700 miles from one lot to another?
too many variables involved that could result in a horrible outcome during transit.
And IF they let someone test drive it for that many miles, they shoulda labeled it as "used", when the person returned it, because it is.
Spot On ! Exactly correct @TaiMc !

While looking around at a new Toyota dealer , I saw a 4-runner with over 8,000 miles ; they labeled it as a "demo" , not "used" , and were selling it as "new" with only $1K off msrp . All dealers are flim-flam .

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Mine was also dealer trade - at 416 miles and driven from Provo to Las Vegas. I bought many cars from the dealer and I trust them.

To the OP:
I think it would not be worth for dealers reputation and legal risks to pull some con like that for a couple of thousand dollars. Don't worry.
Except he found a temporary registration.

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Spot On ! Exactly correct @TaiMc !

While looking around at a new Toyota dealer , I saw a 4-runner with over 8,000 miles ; they labeled it as a "demo" , not "used" , and were selling it as "new" with only $1K off msrp . All dealers are flim-flam .
What’s “flim-flam” about that? My very first “new” car I bought was a demo that had around 7,000 miles on it. It was exactly what I was looking for and being only 22 I was happy to save some additional money because of the mileage. It was a manual transmission so I was 99% certain it wasn’t a service loaner. Demos approaching 10,000 miles are more common than you think since most principals in car dealerships never buy their cars. They drive on dealer tags and registration just like you would when taking a test drive at his dealership. They put miles on a brand new car, untitled, and then they put it out for sale at some future date for a discount compared to a brand new one. If they’re asking $1,000 less than a new one they’re not too far off at .20 cents a mile (working off of the standard lease overage charge). That would be $1,600 which I’m sure if offered to them, they’d take. Obviously, you’d start negations from the MSRP minus $1,000.

With a demo I’d want to take extra precaution by having a paint meter used on all the metal panels and I’d want the car put on a lift to take a good look at what’s underneath.

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
What’s “flim-flam” about that? My very first “new” car I bought was a demo that had around 7,000 miles on it. It was exactly what I was looking for and being only 22 I was happy to save some additional money because of the mileage. It was a manual transmission so I was 99% certain it wasn’t a service loaner. Demos approaching 10,000 miles are more common than you think since most principals in car dealerships never buy their cars. They drive on dealer tags and registration just like you would when taking a test drive at his dealership. They put miles on a brand new car, untitled, and then they put it out for sale at some future date for a discount compared to a brand new one. If they’re asking $1,000 less than a new one they’re not too far off at .20 cents a mile (working off of the standard lease overage charge). That would be $1,600 which I’m sure if offered to them, they’d take. Obviously, your start negations from the MSRP minus $1,000.

With a demo I’d want to take extra precaution by having a paint meter used on all the metal panels and I’d want the car put on a lift to take a good look at what’s underneath.
Very clear information , Thanks . Very good advice to check the metal and underneath , especially as it is a 4x4 .

Another reason to avoid this dealer was one of the bosses looked to be a particularly abhorrant mean individual who disdained me and my disabilities . Or maybe it was my big club in my fist .

I wasn't looking to buy , as I am happy with my adapted JK , I was merely sniffing around , with no money in my pocket . 4runner driver's seats cannot be adapted , as was my JK Sport . Also FCA reimbursed me $1K for my seat disability adaptability . I am a Jeep loyalist .

zjaw

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep rubacon
Short bed trucks are usually classified as SUVs in regard to taxes and deductions for business purposes. I'm not sure if that applies everywhere, but yeah - I think that's what @zjaw was talking about.
I own a business and use it for that. It has to have a 6" bed in order to take more off our taxes.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Call Jeep and ask them what the inservice date and mileage is. That is what really matters the most when it comes to "new" or used. That said, they should have sent a truck to transport that far.
Exactly this is exactly 100% right

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
What’s “flim-flam” about that? My very first “new” car I bought was a demo that had around 7,000 miles on it. It was exactly what I was looking for and being only 22 I was happy to save some additional money because of the mileage. It was a manual transmission so I was 99% certain it wasn’t a service loaner. Demos approaching 10,000 miles are more common than you think since most principals in car dealerships never buy their cars. They drive on dealer tags and registration just like you would when taking a test drive at his dealership. They put miles on a brand new car, untitled, and then they put it out for sale at some future date for a discount compared to a brand new one. If they’re asking $1,000 less than a new one they’re not too far off at .20 cents a mile (working off of the standard lease overage charge). That would be $1,600 which I’m sure if offered to them, they’d take. Obviously, you’d start negations from the MSRP minus $1,000.

Used car with 8,000 miles and only $1000 off MSPR...who the hell would buy that. I bet if took the same vehicle with 8,000 miles and traded it in to the dealer they’d pay you about $10,000 less than MSRP.

Thats what’s film-flam.

I’ve traded in some vehicles in the past and when negotiating value the dealer always lowballs and then brings up the fact the need to clean the vehicle, verify mechanical integrity, etc. I traded in a very clean Acura RDX once and the same afternoon it was on their lot for sale at about $5000 more than what they offered me.

It’s crazy that some people will not pay blue book for a private sale, but will pay over blue book to a dealer thinking somehow the dealers vehicle is a better value or has been taken care of.

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Used car with 8,000 miles and only $1000 off MSPR...who the hell would buy that. I bet if took the same vehicle with 8,000 miles and traded it in to the dealer they’d pay you about $10,000 less than MSRP.

Thats what’s film-flam.

I’ve traded in some vehicles in the past and when negotiating value the dealer always lowballs and then brings up the fact the need to clean the vehicle, verify mechanical integrity, etc. I traded in a very clean Acura RDX once and the same afternoon it was on their lot for sale at about $5000 more than what they offered me.

It’s crazy that some people will not pay blue book for a private sale, but will pay over blue book to a dealer thinking somehow the dealers vehicle is a better value or has been taken care of.
My only point was, from the dealers perspective, negotiation have to start somewhere and it’s smart business to start it higher than what you’d be willing to accept.

Who knows where the truck in question actually sold, but it was likely for less than what was advertised.

That being said, I’m amazed by the high percentage of eBay buyers who pay me my asking price on a listing that is clearly marked “best offer”- and I listed it that way for good reason. I’d have taken less! So I’d be duplicitous in criticizing any seller, car dealer or otherwise, for asking for all the money. Why? Because you’ll only get as much as you ask for. That’s not film-flam. That’s been the proposition between buyers and sellers since forever.

You don’t like a demo car with 8,000 miles for a discount? Then buy something else. Also, when you trade a car in and then see it for sale on the lot for more than what they offered you it’s important to remember that as a business they’re going to try to make a profit on your trade-in. You’ll never know what it sold for, you’ll only know what they were asking. Often two very different numbers.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Right out of high school I worked at an Acura Dealership. They would sell the Demos as new. Some had 5-10k miles on them. To me, that is a used vehicle.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Right out of high school I worked at an Acura Dealership. They would sell the Demos as new. Some had 5-10k miles on them. To me, that is a used vehicle.
Exactly correct : a used vehicle . And we don't know how it was used , and by whom ?

That is what the Toyota salesman tried to flim flam on me : 8K miles on the odo , and after I wrote down the miles , he wrote $1K discount , only because I wrote what is the discount ? The msrp price was on the window sticker , along with a sticker reading "demo" , with no other price displayed other than the msrp price on the sticker . They were hoping for a newbe .

And to make matters worse , the abhorrant boss inside gave me a very disrespectful sneer .

4-runners are limper than straight axle Jeeps , anyway .

Last edited:

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Exactly correct : a used vehicle . And we don't know how it was used , and by whom ?

That is what the Toyota salesman tried to flim flam on me : 8K miles on the odo , and after I wrote down the miles , he wrote $1K discount , only because I wrote what is the discount ? The msrp price was on the window sticker , along with a sticker reading "demo" , with no other price displayed other than the msrp price on the sticker . They were hoping for a newbe .

And to make matters worse , the abhorrant boss inside gave me a very disrespectful sneer .

4-runners are limper than straight axle Jeeps , anyway .
Something like that is worth the depreciated used value. However, often they find someone that doesn't know better or is stuck and needs the car.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I'm probably going to get killed for telling you guys this, but what we have actually discovered is just one very small part of a nationwide criminal underground network of Burner Cars. Each participating dealer provides these vehicles with false temp tags to bad guys for a short period of time, then sold to an unsuspecting customer immediately after:bandit:
Sponsored

Last edited: