Sponsored

Did I buy a used jeep that the dealer said was new?

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
So I finally picked up my JL Unlimited Rubicon in Firecracker red... Hooray! The dealer had to do a dealer trade to get it, when I got it it had 730 miles on it, when I said something they said the dealer they traded with was 500 miles away and yadda yadda yadda... So I shrugged it off as it was probably a show and tell rig and it is what it is. But as I'm going through it I found a previous owners temp tag receipt from Aug. So now I am really suspicious. Thoughts? PFA

20181002_144941.jpg
Sponsored

StammesOpfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n 2.0 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like technically "New" since it was never registered (probably) but I would be pretty unhappy. Not necessarily your dealers fault they probably didn't know (they wouldn't unless the other dealer specifically told them). You could probably use it to leverage a small concession just out of good faith from the dealer but ultimately they technically didn't do anything wrong. It just kinda sucks. Hope you love it anyway.

OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
Yeah I feel the "technically new" but the temp registration just has my mind wandering... I has the buyers name and address and jazz... same as my temp reg. Names blocked of course. EDIT: Of course I love it... my 3rd Rubicon!

20181002_204257.jpg

K2500Z71

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKR
If it was ever titled or registered to someone else, thereā€™s probably a record out there somewhere that will eventually show up on a Carfax.

If your dealer misrepresented the vehicle as new when it was in fact used, you have a legitimate claim.

Call them up and firmly state that you believe they ā€œmisrepresented the vehicle as new when it in fact had been previously registered to someone else.ā€

They will probably tell you to bring it back and swap for a real new one or order you a 2019 to avoid the risk of any penalties or legal action.

Something similar happened to my cousin (dealer misrepresented a new Equinox as AWD when it was FWD and didnā€™t provide her with the window sticker). She figured it out a few months and several thousand miles later when the first snow fell. The dealer took it back, no questions asked.

Sponsored

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
Someone bought it and returned it before the dealer registered the vehicle. The owner drove with temp tag until it was returned. Dealers can issue temp tags up to 90 days

Last edited:

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
Call Jeep and ask them what the inservice date and mileage is. That is what really matters the most when it comes to "new" or used. That said, they should have sent a truck to transport that far.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
So I finally picked up my JL Unlimited Rubicon in Firecracker red... Hooray! The dealer had to do a dealer trade to get it, when I got it it had 730 miles on it, when I said something they said the dealer they traded with was 500 miles away and yadda yadda yadda... So I shrugged it off as it was probably a show and tell rig and it is what it is. But as I'm going through it I found a previous owners temp tag receipt from Aug. So now I am really suspicious. Thoughts? PFA

20181002_144941.jpg
Double check to see when the dealer punched the warranty. The in-service date should be the same date you bought it.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Yeah I feel the "technically new" but the temp registration just has my mind wandering... I has the buyers name and address and jazz... same as my temp reg. Names blocked of course. EDIT: Of course I love it... my 3rd Rubicon!
Contact the original purchaser by mail and/or phone , and politely inquire what happened ? This will help you if you have a claim with your state attorney general at a later time . The miles and the warranty date in FCA records will be the evidence .

Write to the original dealer for copies of their paperwork .

Also be sure to document everything , including COPIES of the temp. regist .

When you go to your dealer to ask , give them a COPY of the temp. regist. , and NOT the original , which you will keep .

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
If it was sold and then returned to me that screams ā€œusedā€ I would be looking to see when it was sold and why it was returned, that many miles tells me ā€œusedā€

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Two things. Carfax will tell you and when the warranty started. Warranty started could also be a dealer demo in which the warranty starts but you are officially the first owner. Weird they would drive the car 500 miles on a trade on a new rig. Usually that far it would get trucked or trailered.

I personally would not have bought a new rig, at a new rig price with 700 miles but that is me. At 700 miles that is used or a demo and I would expect that type of discount or deal.

Glad you are enjoying it.

OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
Update: I ran the car fax $35 bucks is good for the piece of mind I suppose, and called jeep cares to get the warranty start info, and the dates lined up. So I'll just figure they had the paperwork ready and the orig buyer decided he/she didn't want it when they got it. Thanks for the assistance ya'll its so good to be back in the jeep world!

Eaglescout

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar issue with that same dealer in Abilene, although my Jeep only had ~220 miles on it. I found no actual record of a previous buyer, but I did see on the factory invoice where the jeep had originally been sold to a dealership in Fort Worth, and I assume traded to Star Jeep in Abilene. There were a few phones stored in the UConnect I had to remove, and when I replaced the temporary license plate, I found another, older paper tag behind it, which might not be uncommon.

In my case, I think it got traded between dealerships, and then driven by some of the employees at Star until I bought it. I'm sure a couple test drives in there, too. When I was sitting in Finance, I made sure the warranty started on that date and was for 36,220 miles instead of the 36,000 it would have been right off the truck.

Enjoy your Jeep. Even though we bought from the same place, it's unlikely we'll run across each other since I live in San Antonio, but I'll keep an eye out. I do like that Firecracker Red.

-Scott

OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
Scott, you never know. I also called the TX vehc. registry (now that they are open) and they said they have no records of it being registered.
Sponsored