Did i buy a unicorn? 2 door Rubicon

1lostCDN

First Name
Derrek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 GMC Jimmy (Jeep coming soon)
The 6 speed is fine with 315's but may be a bit more of a challenge with 37's.

The new Jeep is much better than the LJ was, but I would say a regear will be needed if you go up to 37's.

My LJ was yellow. I look forward to seeing yours. :like:

Thanks for the reply. I am definitely regearing, already in the plans whether auto or manual. Probably going to go to a 5.13 incase i decide to run 40s in the future hahaha.

I've almost bought two LJ's but they have always been more money then I could afford at the time...
Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the reply. I am definitely regearing, already in the plans whether auto or manual. Probably going to go to a 5.13 incase i decide to run 40s in the future hahaha.

I've almost bought two LJ's but they have always been more money then I could afford at the time...
Well, I hope you can afford a lot more now. lol

I love driving my manual, but the 8spd auto has been getting rave reviews and could make life easier off road. I don't think either direction will be bad.

I'm keeping in the 35" range and 4.88's to push them. If you are going 40's you might be needing built D60's under there. Going big costs big. I'm being drained as it is. lol

1lostCDN

First Name
Derrek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I hope you can afford a lot more now. lol

I love driving my manual, but the 8spd auto has been getting rave reviews and could make life easier off road. I don't think either direction will be bad.

I'm keeping in the 35" range and 4.88's to push them. If you are going 40's you might be needing built D60's under there. Going big costs big. I'm being drained as it is. lol

Lets just say I've been working my ass off for the last 14 years, owned so many beaters its not even funny. I've decided its time to buy something I have truly wanted since I started driving cars. Something built just for me lol.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Lets just say I've been working my ass off for the last 14 years, owned so many beaters its not even funny. I've decided its time to buy something I have truly wanted since I started driving cars. Something built just for me lol.
Make a plan and stick with it. Live the dream. ;)

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The 4.10 gear in the Rubicon seems to handle 37s just fine with the automatic transmission (at least for me). The first day after I made the swap to 37s, my perception was there was little if any decrease in off-the-line performance. The only thing I noticed was I wasn't hitting 8th gear anymore. However, a few days later I realized I had screwed up the tire size setting process on my Mini-Tazer (made the change, but didn't save it). Once I corrected the tire size, I started to hit 8th gear pretty much as regularly as I did before.

The 8 speed is just amazing in the JL- one of my favorite features. When I was driving it back from the dealer, I was shocked to look down and notice I was going 90mph (never had that issue in my TJ)!

You'll love the JL with a manual or auto- enjoy!

PS- I love the look of 40s, but- when I started looking into the relative cost of going to 37s vs. 40s, the decision (at least for me) was super-easy. If 40s are your dream, go for it- but it is a LOT more expensive to make the changes necessary to run them vs. 37s (which fit the Rubicons with very minimal changes- all I did was add a 1.5" spacer lift and some bump stops).

Last edited:

Sponsored

1lostCDN

First Name
Derrek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 4.10 gear in the Rubicon seems to handle 37s just fine with the automatic transmission (at least for me). The first day after I made the swap to 37s, my perception was there was little if any decrease in off-the-line performance. The only thing I noticed was I wasn't hitting 8th gear anymore. However, a few days later I realized I had screwed up the tire size setting process on my Mini-Tazer (made the change, but didn't save it). Once I corrected the tire size, I started to hit 8th gear pretty much as regularly as I did before.

The 8 speed is just amazing in the JL- one of my favorite features. When I was driving it back from the dealer, I was shocked to look down and notice I was going 90mph (never had that issue in my TJ)!

PS- I love the look of 40s, but- when I started looking into the relative cost of going to 37s vs. 40s, the decision (at least for me) was super-easy. If 40s are your dream, go for it- but it is a LOT more expensive to make the changes necessary to run them vs. 37s (which fit the Rubicons with very minimal changes- all I did was add a 1.5" spacer lift and some bump stops).

Thanks for the detailed reply. 40's are more of a pipe dream then something I would probably do knowing that I dont want to tack on 20k worth of axles just to run them lol. And I know how well an 8 speed JL drives, that's why I am having such a flip flop battle trying to decide. Part of me feels that I want the fun factor of the manual for my daily drive to work, and part of me just wants the auto because of how good it is at basically everything. Plus you know Canadian winters so auto start is a handy feature ;)

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Well said and my performance experience with 37’s also. I did build up the steering to H.D. aftermarket parts. Steering is excellent. Only other thing I’d add is about suspension lift. I’ve found 2.5’’s of lift a must for off roading on trails rated 4 and above because of tire rub and that’s on a Rubicon with it’s greater tire clearance to start vs a Sport. Clearance is fine on a flex trailer like MetalCloaks.
MC flex trailer 1.jpg
MC flex trailer 2.jpg

But once on the trail my tires rub the plastic liners indicating static trailer/ramp testing isn’t the same. When you really get twisted up with a wheel off the ground is when things start rubbing at the stuffed tire.
I have the Mopar lift(almost 3”) and am finding 37’s rub quite a bit really. Not a hard travel limiting rub, more a noise annoyance. I am at the point of conceding and pulling the plastic fender liners for aftermarket alum. panels and a frt. light kit. At a cost of $1G, I’m not thrilled with the idea. A few more trail runs and I’ll decide. With the social distancing concerns and Moab EJS being closed down, I’m not sure when those trails I need more experience on will happen. Mid summer months I’m thinking. Sorry for the off track post. I love my unicorn haha.
Update: Found an alternative to aluminum fender liners......
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...astic-fender-liners-for-tire-clearance.48534/

Last edited:

Riversslivers

First Name
Rivers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr rubicon, Pontiac firebird
Occupation
Lineman/handyman
Have you checked Bestop?
Yeah, as far as I know, Bestop only makes the base Trektop for the 2dr right now. Annoying.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Seems all aftermarket suppliers drank the 4door koolaide!

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
My JLR (MT, soft top) will be 2 years old this July 6th and I already have 37,000 miles on her :rock:

5194DB89-1BE7-45F7-8767-12CCC1001987.jpeg

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My JLR (MT, soft top) will be 2 years old this July 6th and I already have 37,000 miles on her :rock:

5194DB89-1BE7-45F7-8767-12CCC1001987.jpeg
My JLR will be 2 years old July 4 2020 (ordered 1-24-2018 received 7-4-2018 ) have 18000 miles (4000 of these Offroad & additional 4000 flat towed that does not show on odometer) I have had only 1 problem (cracked windshield) My fifth Jeep but first FCA one Great so far

B71539CD-3566-40AC-8D2A-55EB92DCC682.jpeg

A3C55618-DDDA-4ECF-8379-CE7CF5D3F4FD.jpeg

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
My JLR will be 2 years old July 4 2020 (ordered 1-24-2018 received 7-4-2018 ) have 18000 miles (4000 of these Offroad & additional 4000 flat towed that does not show on odometer) I have had only 1 problem (cracked windshield) My fifth Jeep but first FCA one Great so far

B71539CD-3566-40AC-8D2A-55EB92DCC682.jpeg

A3C55618-DDDA-4ECF-8379-CE7CF5D3F4FD.jpeg
Cool. I have 4000+ flat tow miles on mine too.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I've no flat tow miles on mine. :(

18,106 miles and going. After selling my daily, those miles are stacking up. Not so much now, but they were. :like:
Sponsored