Sponsored

Did anyone WIN their JL?

blackrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Bright White
Just wondering if anyone in here won their JL. My dad had a good buddy who won a GMC Sierra at a golf tournament on a hole in one. Always thought that was such a cool story.
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Two points from a Marketing friend. First, he said that most vehicles they use are ones that are often bought in fleets, as they get a better deal (if they are offering it as a giveaway). That would make sense it was a truck.

A bit off topic on the 2nd point ... same friend was in charge of the hole in one contest at his company’s event when he first started out. Most times, they buy insurance in case it is done (I think it is about 1-2% of the cost of the item, as I recall). He declined, as he had no budgeted for it and figured none of these guys would come close.

He said the flag was hit twice and two shots came within inches ... he bought the insurance every year since.

Sponsored

OP
OP
blackrock

blackrock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Bright White
Yeah I knew a lot of times it was covered by insurance. Didn’t know if anyone had any interesting stories or had won any of the Jeep’s from vendors occasionally.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I’ve seen a few contests from various vendors but never received notification of who won (yes I entered).

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Back in the day, I had a buddy that won a new 4runner on the annual Mesa duck race.
You buy a duck for $5 or $10 and they dump a truckload of rubber ducks in a canal and the first one across the finish line wins a truck. We were about 20 at the time and made next to no money, so a free truck was a huge deal to him.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When that happens do you have to pay income tax on the value of the prize?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I didn't win my jeep but thank god i didn't, I won a Toyota Rav4 a few years back from a Hockey game at Staple center. after all the tax i had to pay up front then turn around and pay on my tax return i basically bought the damn thing anyways. Gave it to my mom as i had just bought a new Silverado when I won the car. she loved that car so that made it worth it in the end. Everyone when they find out expect this rad story then they find out the cold truth. lol Best part of winning was being on the ice at a kings game with Luc Robitaille and getting a team signed 2014 championship Jersey

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

you pay Income tax of the MSRP of the vehicle

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you pay Income tax of the MSRP of the vehicle
So all you’re “winning” is a 50% (depending on where you live) discount. Unless a cash equivalent is offered.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Clubs

So all you’re “winning” is a 50% (depending on where you live) discount. Unless a cash equivalent is offered.
i mean i got screw because my pay that year had me at the top of my bracket and the car price put me into the bottom of the next bracket. so depended on your income 50% is a good number.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yes, all taxes and fees are on you unless specifically mentioned that those will be covered. I’ve only ever seen of one contest where taxes and fees were covered if you won.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I would think that you would have to pay sales tax too. Not to mention registration. So, winning a $40k vehicle for me would cost about $14k with income tax, sales tax and associated fees.
Sponsored