Dial next to headlight knob

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have a stupid question. On my JL Sport S, there are 3 controls for the lights. The knob which obviously turns on the parking lights and headlights, then a dial, then a third dial which appears to change the brightness of the dash lighting.

My question is, what does the second dial do (the one in the middle)? My owners manual doesn't mention details about either dial, only the main headlight knob.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Hmm I'm going to go try that out now. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Looks like that dial does indeed control the door handle backlighting. I would have never noticed that. Thanks guys.

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
I have a stupid question. On my JL Sport S, there are 3 controls for the lights. The knob which obviously turns on the parking lights and headlights, then a dial, then a third dial which appears to change the brightness of the dash lighting.

My question is, what does the second dial do (the one in the middle)? My owners manual doesn't mention details about either dial, only the main headlight knob.
Reviving an old thread here, because I have the same stupid question for my 21 Willys that has the same dial that does same thing which is nothing. All the response and posts I've seen seem somewhat inconclusive. Did you happen to get this mystery solved?

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Same here...it seems no one knows. I have the dial also and it does nothing for the cupholder and door handle lighting.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Maybe a trim thing?

On my Sahara Altitude, the middle one adjusts the footwell and other accent lighting, as others have described.

For posterity, I'll also mention that the dial on the far right also impacts the ability for Android Auto (haven't tested with CarPlay) to automatically convert between day/night mode.

This dial has 2 "stops" at the top. If you go through both stops, it forces the interior dome lights to stay on. If you have it just past the 1st stop, though, it will force full brightness of your dash lights, AND ALSO forces Android Auto to stay on "day" mode. If you click it *just* below the first stop, you'll get *almost* full brightness but also it will allow Android Auto to correctly transition between day/night mode.

WHY it works like this is anyone's guess. It took me *a while* to finally figure out why my Android Auto wasn't automatically switching between the two.
Sponsored