Sponsored

Diabolical Slipstream Security Enclosure Install and review (with pics)

JD Flick

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Algorithmic Trading Strategies
Great review and demonstration of the versatility Did yours come with the proper instructions?

That passenger corner the whole side has to be assembles 1st , unfortunately I id not figure that out till it was all put together and had my hard top back on. I too really like tyhis mod and is one of my favorites however just dissapointed in their execution, meaning no instructions and in my case sloppy powdercoat.

Is your wing wall rubbing on the sub cover? also were you able to get the top passenger pin holes to line up enough to have room to plastidip?
It had the JK instructions, but I much preferred to get the kit early versus waiting for JL instructions. I watched all the videos on the website in full before starting, including the JK installation, and the "JL differences" video. I felt that was sufficient to figure the rest out.

It may have had powder coat spots on some parts. I run my Jeep pretty rough though, and I know I'm going to scratch and beat it up. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I know the exact part you're talking about... The bolt on the top passenger wing has to be fully tightened first. That was a tricky part, but I had kept everything loose so I was able to get to it from the front.

So far nothing is rubbing, and everything is fitting snug so I didn't plasti-dip yet. I might do that after everything settles.

If I manage to get a friend to buy one, I'll make an install video.
Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Great write up. I too have been considering a security enclosure, and have only found two viable options. This leads me to a few questions.

1. How does the hardtop sit/fit with this cover installed?
My concern is that there will be a gap at the front of the rail, near the rear doors. The Slipstream only goes to the rear seat. This looks like it would create a gap when the hardtop is mounted. How does it actually fit? Any wind or weather able to get in?
gap.jpg

2. How does this compare to a the Tuffy Security Deck Enclosure?
I've seen the cheap Tuffy boxes, that are a full box. Those seem to be inconvenient, but what about the enclosure box? They mount to walls inside the rails, so there's no risk of a gap. They seem easier to install and they're cheaper ($400 vs $700). The lid lifts off without tools (similar to how I understand the slipstream cover does), so the question then becomes how do the front panels compare.
Tuffy-345-Security-Deck-Enclosure-JLU-Rear-Open.jpg

3. How hard is it to remove the front panel so you can access the full capacity of storage? Does it fold down, does it have wing nuts, does it have pins, or what?

Any have any experience with both to have done a comparison?

For that gap I used some door gasket for that space, I also brought that up to Diabolical that they should extend that piece on both sides but they have not responded. It is a easy DIY fix though.

The Tuffy is just a box and gets no secure use of the sides, it just does not look good to me, whereas the Slipstream also has some aesthetic values, not to mentioned second level storage on top with tie down bar. The front panel has two pins for it to drop down or remove 2 more pins for it to be removed completely for easy pass through, same for the top 2 pins to fold back and 4 to remove. Additionally the Slipstream has the hinged top making it far more versatile.

Watch this comprehensive video it is long but it is also very informative.

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
I"ll be receiving mine this week. I work directly with Alan and we do apologize for the lack of better paper instructions. That's somewhat on me as I've been extremely busy with a new job, and Alan was focused on the engineering and getting the changes to market before the holidays. The JK Slipstream is fairly refined and the instructions work well. The JL Version is a complete redesign, but the basics are the same.

For the last couple years Diabolical Inc has been a passion, but its team also had day jobs. Alan has stepped away from that day job to focus 100% on Diabolical Inc, building the brand and bringing everyone great products. We appreciate everyone's feedback and we do listen, watch, and learn.

Now that I have a 2019 JLUR, I can work on getting better instructions to everyone. I know everyone is wanting product, and I'm no different. I'm waiting on Rhino Rack to get their Pioneer Platform to production...sick of seeing teasers showing something I can't have.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks for the reply. I've watched a few videos, and read a few reviews on both. Both seem to be well rated. The linked video was more of an install video than a review, but helpful just the same.

On a complete tangent, I'm starting to consider designing/manufacturing my own. I had this thought of a cargo box back in 2003 when I rented a Wrangler, and had a bag stolen from the back (doors were locked, but someone unzipped the window). Now that I'm looking at these enclosures, they seem pretty expensive. Not overpriced, as they've clearly had a lot of R&D go into them, but still a lot of money. I used to design/manufacture things for a living, so I'm sure I could build my design, and it would undoubtedly be cheaper, but I don't know if I want to spend the time and effort since they both look like solid products.

On that note. How bad is the rattle from the pins, and metal panels bouncing around? Seems like there's a lot of metal on metal contact. I know I can adapt it, but how much work am I looking at to make a $700 enclosure quite.
Also, how heavy are these things? Are they steel, or aluminum?

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the reply. I've watched a few videos, and read a few reviews on both. Both seem to be well rated. The linked video was more of an install video than a review, but helpful just the same.

On a complete tangent, I'm starting to consider designing/manufacturing my own. I had this thought of a cargo box back in 2003 when I rented a Wrangler, and had a bag stolen from the back (doors were locked, but someone unzipped the window). Now that I'm looking at these enclosures, they seem pretty expensive. Not overpriced, as they've clearly had a lot of R&D go into them, but still a lot of money. I used to design/manufacture things for a living, so I'm sure I could build my design, and it would undoubtedly be cheaper, but I don't know if I want to spend the time and effort since they both look like solid products.

On that note. How bad is the rattle from the pins, and metal panels bouncing around? Seems like there's a lot of metal on metal contact. I know I can adapt it, but how much work am I looking at to make a $700 enclosure quite.
Also, how heavy are these things? Are they steel, or aluminum?
All metal to metal contact that is not firmly bolted together has rubber gaskets so there is NO rattle from them. the only loose metal to metal is the Pins, however the holes were made large enough that you can plastidip the pins to eliminate ALL metal to metal contact

Watch the whole video above and you will see what I am talking about as well to see how the Slipstream function fo to about the 34 minute mark of the video.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I"ll be receiving mine this week. I work directly with Alan and we do apologize for the lack of better paper instructions. That's somewhat on me as I've been extremely busy with a new job, and Alan was focused on the engineering and getting the changes to market before the holidays. The JK Slipstream is fairly refined and the instructions work well. The JL Version is a complete redesign, but the basics are the same.

For the last couple years Diabolical Inc has been a passion, but its team also had day jobs. Alan has stepped away from that day job to focus 100% on Diabolical Inc, building the brand and bringing everyone great products. We appreciate everyone's feedback and we do listen, watch, and learn.

Now that I have a 2019 JLUR, I can work on getting better instructions to everyone. I know everyone is wanting product, and I'm no different. I'm waiting on Rhino Rack to get their Pioneer Platform to production...sick of seeing teasers showing something I can't have.
The Basics for the driver side are consitent with past as well as the passenger without sub, but there are issues with the sub that they are not addressing, and frankly there is NO excuse to not send out proper instructions as well over look QC which Alan totally blew off. Sorry to unload on you but not happy about having to take the HT off again and dismantle 1/2 of it to address the passenger sub bolt issue, not to mention I had to drill and screw the wing wall and wing plate together on the passenger side due to the fact there were NO current instructions for the sub version. In fact it has been two weeks and still no updated instruction sent to me. I have a love hate relationship I love the concept and hate the execution.

henryphoto1

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.danhenryphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Occupation
Photographer
Great write up. I too have been considering a security enclosure, and have only found two viable options. This leads me to a few questions.

1. How does the hardtop sit/fit with this cover installed?
My concern is that there will be a gap at the front of the rail, near the rear doors. The Slipstream only goes to the rear seat. This looks like it would create a gap when the hardtop is mounted. How does it actually fit? Any wind or weather able to get in?
gap.jpg

2. How does this compare to a the Tuffy Security Deck Enclosure?
I've seen the cheap Tuffy boxes, that are a full box. Those seem to be inconvenient, but what about the enclosure box? They mount to walls inside the rails, so there's no risk of a gap. They seem easier to install and they're cheaper ($400 vs $700). The lid lifts off without tools (similar to how I understand the slipstream cover does), so the question then becomes how do the front panels compare.
Tuffy-345-Security-Deck-Enclosure-JLU-Rear-Open.jpg

3. How hard is it to remove the front panel so you can access the full capacity of storage? Does it fold down, does it have wing nuts, does it have pins, or what?

Any have any experience with both to have done a comparison?

Curious about #1 & #2 above for anyone who has the slipstream. Seems like that gap would either cause wind / water to enter, but I’m more concerned if it could crack the top after extended usage with tightening it down and not being flush? Also ... side wings using hardtop bolts can just be unscrewed right?

The tuffy is cheaper and wouldn’t have those issues above but it doesn’t look nearly as cool, I like the ability to get into the under floor storage and also more usable room. Sigh. Decisions decisions.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That is not a problem at all it is not complicated to build up that few inch area to offset the difference, problem Solved. The Tuffy has a major water issue with water along the sides of the BOX, with the side lid gaskets on the slipstream as well as a gasket for the lid hinge it is a fairly tight system, while there may be a drip or two on the slipstream the water that lands on the Tuffy top and then flows to the sides along with the rain that lands along the side is highly problematic including drying those areas. Keep in mind though they both will leak water at the tailgate end. So technically the Slipstream allow less water intrusion to the cargo area than the Tuffy, and the little strip is easily fixed...

While there is a significant price difference the versitility if the Slipstream far surpasses that of the Tuffy and like you said it look so much better

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I'm not concerned with the water resistance of the actual enclosures. If there's a chance of rain, I'm not taking the hardtop off. Besides, anything that's in either enclosure is more weather resistant than something laying in the open cargo area if I get caught in a pop up shower. That and it's not like I'm hauling around electronics.
The concern I had about the gap on the Slipstream (and likely that of Dan) is that water and/or wind can come in with the top on. It's not a concern of the weather resistance of the enclosure, but rather a concern of creating a gap that allows wind, air, water into the Jeep that wasn't there before.

Dan, I too wondered about how bolting the top over the enclosure would affect the hardtop. Will it fatigue the hardtop by the gap, or what about the front two (above the doors) since the top would be pulled down at an angle? I realize the angle is very slight because the metal of the cover is thin, but it is something that crossed my mind. Does this cause the hardtop to sit slightly higher, which would potentially create a lip, and subsequent wind noise where the top meets the freedom panels? The Slipstream seems like a no brainer with the top off. It looks good, gives you an unobstructed cargo area. But the concern is how it is with the top on? That's the state my Jeep is in probably 90% of the time, so the enclosure needs to work well with the top on, not just with it off.

I may be worried about nothing though. Maybe lightsout can shed some light on it. How does it sound with the top on? How thick is the "deck" that you're mounting the top over? Anything that we should actually be worried about, or anything you can set our minds at ease about?
You've given me some assurance about the rattles so that 's good. Anything else to help ease my mind?

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I live in Washington State where our feet are webbed due the the amount of rain we get. I have had no issues with water intrusion. It would require pressurized water in order to penetrate the lower hard top seal.

Also remember because the the slipstream is so MODULAR when the top is on you remove the front wing wall and top which then provides you with full access to the cargo almost as if no system is installed, this only takes about 2-3 minutes to remove and put back on. with that said there is nothing to possibly rattle. The only thing that can rattle is the quick connect pins that hold the top and front wall in place and that can easily be resolved with Plasti-dip.

The Tuffy enclosure does not use any rubber or gasket barrier for their movable components so it is definitely more likely to rattle

Sponsored

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Would be interested in a JL 2 door version that could easily removed and allow for my rear seat to be installed when needed.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
...... Also remember because the the slipstream is so MODULAR when the top is on you remove the front wing wall and top ....
Can they be left on when the top is installed? I'm assume so, and you're just giving an example of its versatility. Yeah?

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
It works great with any top on or off. I have the Dual tops so right now I have the hard top on, In may I will put the Soft top on, and it requires no changes...

stevehoward75

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLRU
Any time I buy online I email and ask if they provide a coupon code for JL Wrangler Forum members. So far I"m batting .1000, this product included. Give it a try. I just ordered mine.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Any time I buy online I email and ask if they provide a coupon code for JL Wrangler Forum members. So far I"m batting .1000, this product included. Give it a try. I just ordered mine.
I also received 10% off by calling and asking
Sponsored