Sponsored

Diabolical Slipstream JLU installed! (Not without some frustrations though...)

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
So...after reading some threads and advice on here, I finally decided to go all in on the Diabolical Slipstream for my 2019 Rubicon Unlimited w/ sub-woofer. There are plenty of install threads here so I am going to skip all that and share some experiences and some of my own advice.
  1. Watch all install videos you can, beginning to end, before you start your installation. I had watched most of the supplementary ones specific to the JL but not the step-by-step hour long one. I wish I had. The step-by-step video is very good and was pretty much all you need but Dan could have highlighted some “gotchas” earlier one.
  2. One of those gotchas is dealing with the gap hider behind the rear seat if you have leather seats. In the step-by-step videos, its not present or removed, implying this needs to go before doing the installation. Much later in the video, Dan mentioned its not necessary and gave an idea on how it could be done without ripping up the gap hider. (Read my 1st advise above!) Ripping off the gap hider is VERY difficult and feels like its going to break when you try. It takes A LOT of force to do it, which I was able to do. It is very difficult to put back in if you don’t recover all the metal pins clips and repair them, which I was able to do. This easily added 30-45min to my install.
  3. Be very careful about scratching the roll bars when putting on the wing walls. I thought I was and I ended up putting two very small scratches on one roll bar. My advice is to put some tape or foam on the corners before putting it on. It will save some grief later on.
  4. The kit came with a larger foam seal strip and thin rubber gasket; however, the instructions that came with the kit or online didn’t reference what to do with these items. I put the rubber gasket around the hole of the wing walls that surround the roll bar (put it on before putting the wing wall on) and the foam seal on the gate door where it meets with the tailskin.
  5. Have lots of different sizes of 7/16” sockets, extensions, multi-bend extensions, etc. Be prepared to be frustrated and cures a few times with 2-3 of the hardest-to-reach screws...all on the sub-woofer side. Having both short and long sockets will help...and maybe a small child with small hands.
  6. While I understand why Dan created the wing walls with the cutout for soft top users, I only run hard top and am not a fan of the deign since it tends to bend up a bit more than the rest of the wing wall since it is only connected at one point. I would rather not have a cut out altogether or at least have the option to order way.
My overall impressions is that this is a VERY well manufactured and designed system. There really isn’t anything else on the market like it. I drove around yesterday and there is zero rattling and the sub-woofer is not at all muffled. I do think its a bit pricey but, like I said, its well manufactured and the alternatives don’t seem as good. Also, for the price, I would expect updated instructions specific to the JL written up. The written instructions that come with the kit are for the JK.

Those are my initial impressions and I’m very happy I got it. I will feel much safer with the top off now!

4D99E4DA-959C-4E17-B27F-6A06E3550EF4.jpeg

FBBF8E65-6796-49CA-AC14-90F5245E621E.jpeg

136916AA-EDD4-44C5-B962-3B9D7CF1726A.jpeg
Sponsored

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with all your points and I'm very pleased with the final results. Not saying that I've shared some choice 4 letter words echoing from my garage throughout the neighborhood, but any install without them or skin removed from your knuckles, is an install not worth doing. LOL.

0513192113_HDR~2.jpg

0602190900_HDR~2.jpg

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
This installation was challenging. I like the unit, but it was tough. I grit my teeth when I hear folks say theirs has zero rattle. I'm impressed with how little rattle exists, but there are 6 pins with wire "locking" hoops on each of them....they definitely move and hit other metal pieces. I've seen people plastidip their pins with great results. Future project when I'm brave enough to work on it again. Maybe when the hardtop goes back on....which requires small corner plates to be installed/swapped with my softops corner mounts (Bestop Trektop: had to cut the plastic corner pieces, and i did a horrific job of cutting that plastic...fairly hidden though).

On a handiness scale to 10 i rate myself as a 6...so factor that into my comments.

OP
OP
RedWranger

RedWranger

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I agree with all your points and I'm very pleased with the final results. Not saying that I've shared some choice 4 letter words echoing from my garage throughout the neighborhood, but any install without them or skin removed from your knuckles, is an install not worth doing. LOL.

0513192113_HDR~2.jpg

0602190900_HDR~2.jpg
What size tires are you running? Lift? Looks sweet!

Sponsored

telix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon

bigdogsonhill

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
This installation was challenging. I like the unit, but it was tough. I grit my teeth when I hear folks say theirs has zero rattle. I'm impressed with how little rattle exists, but there are 6 pins with wire "locking" hoops on each of them....they definitely move and hit other metal pieces. I've seen people plastidip their pins with great results.

I agree with the tough install I had to step away for a few hours to regain my brain. As for the plastic dip on the pins IT WORKS! Bought a can at Lowe’s for 6 bucks but make sure you let them sit for several hours to dry.
Overall the Slipstream is awesome though great purchase and it looks clean!
10DC5EB3-0C9D-4A4E-97EE-0E94246C47CC.jpeg

A42084FB-327A-48EC-8812-ECC9B225041D.jpeg

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
I've had my Slipstream in since Aug of 2018 and love it. I have both the flat top and the 6" top and switch them as needed (40qt Dometic Fridge requires the higher top). I recently put the American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. floor in and just had to make two small cuts around some of the front supports.

One thing I have done is eliminate the pins and replace them with Quarter-Turn fasteners. (https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/82228K/10002/-1)
No more reaching at weird angles trying to get all the pins connected and no more noise from them.

transientgolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
#4 - I have the same question on what those are for (though I installed on a JKU). I like they are doing rolling updates but it would be nice to have updated the instructions or video.

Having said that. I really like it overall and am very happy.

bloodwar

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU // 2018 JL 2Door
I just installed mine today, ( 2dr JLR) The lack of instructions were frustrating at first, yes there was a sheet referencing an older video that I could not find and no URL given. Once I had everything laid out for the front wall I figured out how it was intended to work but it would have been much quicker with even a photo.

With regards to your fourth point I used the thin gasket on the tailskin and I assumed the thicker seal was used if you weren't using the tailskin and running a hardtop, I could however be wrong as I don't run a hardtop myself.

I do get slight rattling from the pins only, Instead of Plastidip, i'm trying heat shrink tubing as I have a ton of it around. so far it seems to work fine.

Sponsored

jsmn_jl

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've had my Slipstream in since Aug of 2018 and love it. I have both the flat top and the 6" top and switch them as needed (40qt Dometic Fridge requires the higher top). I recently put the American Adventure Lab M.A.S.S. floor in and just had to make two small cuts around some of the front supports.

One thing I have done is eliminate the pins and replace them with Quarter-Turn fasteners. (https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/82228K/10002/-1)
No more reaching at weird angles trying to get all the pins connected and no more noise from them.
I am looking to run this exact same set up. Did you have to notch the MASS platform or the slipstream? Which did you put in first and would you reverse it?

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking to run this exact same set up. Did you have to notch the MASS platform or the slipstream? Which did you put in first and would you reverse it?
I'm sorry I just saw this. I had the Slipstream first. I notched the MASS platform a little (actually a little to much) the make it work.
Sponsored