Diabolical Slipstream Install and review

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
This options doesn't protect the corners from wearing out on the top of the slipstream though. I just got my slipstream in the mail today and really don't want to run the risk of wearing through the top of the corners that are supposed to sit down in the well as pictured below. I guess this is why the Tuffy box does not cover the entire top of the back of the jeep to allow these to sit down in the jeep.

IMG_0536.jpg
A little foam/rubber tape problem solved $5. Small price for a security system that is so versatile and looks 10 times better then the Tuffy.
Sponsored

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2024 JLU Willys 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I want to provide an update regarding being able to lock down the soft top while using the Slipstream,

I purchased the Slipstream a few months ago for my 2019 JLUR. After installing the soft top I noticed the top would not lock down. Upon noticing this, I contact Alan at Diabolical to determine if there was a work around. Over the course of several weeks, I've been emailing and talking with Alan on a resolution.

He is getting closer to putting some things into production which will be a 'work around' for not being able to lock down the soft top. First, the tie down rails will be shortened to approximately 23" so when the soft top is folded, there will be no contact between the soft top and the tie down rails. With the current tie down rails, the soft top sits directly on these two thin pieces of metal which in time, will wear through the fabric. Shortening the rails will resolve this issue and allow the top to sit fully on the top of the Slipstream, and not on the tie down rails.

Second, Diabolical will be producing a soft top cover that will wrap around the folded soft top and hold it in a more compacted fashion, allowing better visibility out the back and keeping the fabric from flapping in the wind. The cover will be able to be secured to the tie down rails thereby 'locking' the soft top in position.

From my discussions with Alan, these two updates will be included at no charge for current Slipstream owners.

Pictures attached of the prototype pieces.
-You can see the end of the tie down rail and how it allows sufficient room for the soft top to lay flush on the Slipstream.
-Soft top cover. Work in progress with some adjustments needed but Diabolical is working with their suppliers to finalize.

Soft top cover.jpg

Tie Down Rails.jpg
@swimman I had talked to Alan about this same issue a month or so ago when I got mine installed. He said they were working on making the tie down rails shorter but that they weren't going to cover that for existing customers. I wonder if he meant existing as in people who buy it at the new higher price rather than people that bought it say in February. I did get the notched tailskin which was awesome and works well.

Still a great product I love mine even though it's covered in pollen at the moment from having the top down for an afternoon in the south :). I would suggest anyone who regularly folds back the first section to get a couple of strong disc magnets and glue them to the top it'll keep it from bouncing around when it's folded.

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
stick - I'm in NC too. Cannot wait for pollen season to end. My son has the Jeep out today with the top down. Wondering how much pollen it will collect. This was after having cleaned it on Saturday.

The tie down rails will be shorter, 23". The unpainted shorter rails seen in the picture I received from Alan were slightly shorter than stock but still needed about 1" taken off. I cut them down to 23" with a hack saw and they came out well but are now showing some rust due to being unprotected. This will be the new size supplied with future kits once Alan gets them produced.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Remember the tie down rails are optional they are not required to install. Personally I do not plan to tie anything down up there if I did I would just use the added tie down loops I have at the Hard top Bolt holes. If I was an overlander with a lot of gear I might think twice however the top has weight limitations as it is. What I did though for now to protect the soft top is added a edge protector as well I purchased the soft top Boot from Jtops which also adds protection I added an adhesive patch to the boot at the rail contact point to minimize wear on the boot and I can always add or replace those as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Trim-Bl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J5S2V1MS7DRBJ68SR03X

71K85FbO01L._SL1500_.jpg

fightingmajor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited Punk'n Orange
Remember the tie down rails are optional they are not required to install. Personally I do not plan to tie anything down up there if I did I would just use the added tie down loops I have at the Hard top Bolt holes. If I was an overlander with a lot of gear I might think twice however the top has weight limitations as it is. What I did though for now to protect the soft top is added a edge protector as well I purchased the soft top Boot from Jtops which also adds protection I added an adhesive patch to the boot at the rail contact point to minimize wear on the boot and I can always add or replace those as needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Edge-Trim-Bl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J5S2V1MS7DRBJ68SR03X

71K85FbO01L._SL1500_.jpg
Can you post some pics?

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
A little foam/rubber tape problem solved $5. Small price for a security system that is so versatile and looks 10 times better then the Tuffy.

There are many reports of soft top damage with no slipstream , top damage is problematic with or without.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ete-list-in-one-spot.15328/page-9#post-412110

Here is a post about the tail gate with just the stock bed (no enclosure) rubbing a hole in the soft top after just a couple hours. Also locking the top down seems to be another problem causing the top frame to pinch the top causing wear and damage. There is seems to be no perfect solution except be careful it is folded properly look for pinch or rub areas and apply the proper adjustment or protection. This is why a boot is such a good idea as it will prevent all floping

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
stick - I'm in NC too. Cannot wait for pollen season to end. My son has the Jeep out today with the top down. Wondering how much pollen it will collect. This was after having cleaned it on Saturday.

The tie down rails will be shorter, 23". The unpainted shorter rails seen in the picture I received from Alan were slightly shorter than stock but still needed about 1" taken off. I cut them down to 23" with a hack saw and they came out well but are now showing some rust due to being unprotected. This will be the new size supplied with future kits once Alan gets them produced.
I ended up grinding 1/8" off mine b/c they were preventing the tailgate bar from locking in place completely. I'll probably email Alan at the end of the month to see if they're in production with the shorter ones and see if he'll replace or sell me just the tie downs. Might also just cut them down to 23" and paint the ends to prevent rust.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Can you post some pics?
Here is a picture of the rubber Trim on the tie-down rail it is a soft flexible non abrasive rubber with a aluminum core, As you can see it takes tthat sharp edge of the rail out of the equation. it is only $10 at amazon, even with the short rail or cut off rail it should be used, in fact Alan should include his. It is also a tight fit and not going anywhere. I am sure if Alan bought it in bulk he could get it for 1/4 the amazon cost...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KG9BAY0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slip%20rail%201_zpsww0ynhlb.jpg

slip%20rail%202_zpsmxvbt2tr.jpg

Last edited:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Here is something else I added to the Slipsream. With the black carpet or mat, black walls and black slipstream it is very dark inside. So I purchased battery powered LED lights that also have a motion sensor, so no need to turn anything on or off, when you open the tail-gate the lights come on and go off when closed. 3-pack for $20 ( I used only 2 of them. They have magnetic tape pre attached so the magnets hold then to the pilar. If you need a light for something else they easily detach. SInce tail gates are not open very much it should be at least a year between AAA battery changes.

https://www.amazon.c.om/gp/product/B010Y1U1JO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slip%20Lights%202_zpsn5cch3js.jpg

Slip%20lights%201_zpsnxsn1qyg.jpg

51Y6NHhk%2BRL.jpg

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here is something else I added to the Slipsream. With the black carpet or mat, black walls and black slipstream it is very dark inside. So I purchased battery powered LED lights that also have a motion sensor, so no need to turn anything on or off, when you open the tail-gate the lights come on and go off when closed. 3-pack for $20 ( I used only 2 of them. They have magnetic tape pre attached so the magnets hold then to the pilar. If you need a light for something else they easily detach. SInce tail gates are not open very much it should be at least a year between AAA battery changes.

https://www.amazon.c.om/gp/product/B010Y1U1JO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slip%20Lights%202_zpsn5cch3js.jpg

Slip%20lights%201_zpsnxsn1qyg.jpg

51Y6NHhk%2BRL.jpg
I had these for something else so I repurposed.

https://www.amazon.com/URPOWER-Moti...ateway&sprefix=magnetic+led,tools,155&sr=8-15

I stick them on the lid in the second section, they sit below the lip so you don't know they're there till they light up.

Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Back in 2018's Black Friday Sales I ordered a bunch of stuff to add to my 2019 JLU. We live in Wisconsin and have an unheated garage. Today I finally had time to install the Slipstream. I'm glad I had nearly four months to review various tutorials. Like others have mentioned, it is not the easiest on installs, but it's really well planned out. It made for a particularly chill day of playing with ratchets. Now I'm all set to transport my camera gear to various photo shoots. One thing I added was some left over Sound Assassin strips from my Hothead Headliner to help dampen any vibrations.

IMG_20190423_181614.jpg

IMG_20190423_181655.jpg

IMG_20190423_181711.jpg

IMG_20190423_181755.jpg

IMG_20190423_184612.jpg

IMG_20190423_184640.jpg

IMG_20190423_190806.jpg

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The video makes it look easier than it is, but it should be doable for most if not all, just time consuming...

So far I have had mine installed since Nov and I have NO rattles at all, in fact I do not even use the back pins on the top. I am impressed how tight and rigid it is...

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else’s slipstream rattling? Is it the pins? And has anyone dipped them??

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have ZERO rattle my pins are all tight though whereas if I plastidip it would rub of on mine I assume others it wold help. Even large speed bumps no noise

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Anyone else’s slipstream rattling? Is it the pins? And has anyone dipped them??
No rattling. I did dip my pins. There were a couple that had too much of the plastic on them. I used them in the corners where I'd not be taking them out much, if ever. I also applied left over Sound Assassin strips. They added a nice, weighted feel to the lids. Today I added that trim that posted on this thread earlier.
Sponsored

Last edited: