Diabolical Slipstream Install and review

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
2019 JLUR with Sub woofer and Premium Soft Top. We often run around town in Safari mode, or top down doors off. We needed a secure area for backpacks etc. Last night I installed the Diabolical Slipstream. Overall we're happy with the purchase. Some of the finer details:
  • Packaging was excellent.
  • Instructions included were for a JK, even though the product is JL Specific (Pretty Crummy)
  • Decided to use this video for install: - Which was good, except there were some differences I had to figure out. Our kit is different due to the subwoofer.
  • Installation was pain. A few times I had to backtrack and disassemble to access a bolt, and it took 3 1/2 hours. (I had to watch a section of video in my office, then to the garage to do that step, then back to the office to watch another section being installed, .... Guess I'm not smart enough to watch on a cell phone or laptop. Now that I've done it once, it would probably take me 2 1/2, 2 with a helper which I didn't have.
  • Powdercoating is perfect
  • In the end, fit is good, no rattles, looks great.
  • The "Problem" with opening the product with a soft top, is not a problem for me. It opens enough, and stays open, for good access to trunk items. I will get the notched tailskin when available, but it's nothing to be concerned about.
  • However there is a real problem I had not considered. When you lower the top, it now sits up so high (Above the 35" spare tire) that there is zero rear visibility. We probably still would have gone ahead, but call me silly, I use my rear view mirror. This issue may cause us to use Safari Mode combined with Sunrider mode even more often.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Cheers,
James

Diabolical Slipstream.jpg
Sponsored

Rigby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubi OB
Could you post a pic with the soft top down? What part of the Slipstream do you think is causing it to sit to high, maybe the tie down rails?

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2024 JLU Willys 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Could you post a pic with the soft top down? What part of the Slipstream do you think is causing it to sit to high, maybe the tie down rails?
I'll see if I can get a picture but forecast is calling for rain so the windows likely won't come off for a while.

The tie-downs are likely part of it but based on what it looked like when I took the wing skins off to put the top back on, the back corners of the top sit down below the top of the body tub, so it's the wing skins themselves. My plan is to just run a bungee through the tiedowns and around the top to keep it from flapping around when it's down.

Mainly it's a cautionary tale to not lock the frame assemblies if you take the top off to install the slipstream b/c you won't be able to unlock them afterwards. I had to take the top back off, remove the wing skins and put the top back on to get it to unlock.

Rigby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubi OB
Thanks, that makes sense about the wing skins. Hopefully someone who has the standard top with the Slipstream can comment about how theirs sits. I have the premium top as well and I'll still get the Slipstream, but if the standard top sits much lower then I'd consider swapping.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
For those of you who have installed the Slipstream and have the Alpine speaker did any of you have an issue with the passenger side wing wall not positioning correctly? My install went off the rails yesterday because the wing wall could not go far enough over...it looks like I'm going to have the wing wall to make it fit...

And a tip for those in the process of installing the instructions for the JK that come with it as well as American Jeepers installation video (awesome install video very helpful) show foam insulation being installed on two sides of the wing skins in reality it only needs it on the one long side of each wing skin. There are small corner piece that slide under the wing skin and sit on the cab corners for the JL version, those corner piece are where the second piece of foam insulation needs to go. I realized this after i had already placed the insulation on the wing skins and trimmed them...Luckily I was able to pull it off and piece enough together to insulate the corners... If you watch the new installation video for the JL version by Diabolical very closely you will see when he places the wing skin on that it is only on the long side. You have to watch closely since its an abbreviated install video only going over the major steps...

Sponsored

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the slipstream.... what a pain in the ass!!!.... 3 1/2 to 4 hours with help.... so far I love it, looks good and serves its purpose... I'm currently running it with a hard top, but can anyone confirm that I have to disassemble it to install the soft top?? or what to expect???? also wanted to add this .. because I was puzzled by this at first as well... what's the point of all this if your running a soft top or no top and someone just breaks in or just simply walks up and hits the door unlock button... I thought that makes this all pretty pointless... but what I found out is that, if the doors are locked, and the key fob is "not present".. the locks will not disengage if anyone tries to push the lock/unlock button.. so therefore makes this even more awesome and useful... and adds much more piece of mind...:jk::flag:

now worrying about the rest of the jeep... well you all know how that goes.....:facepalm:

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
  • However there is a real problem I had not considered. When you lower the top, it now sits up so high (Above the 35" spare tire) that there is zero rear visibility. We probably still would have gone ahead, but call me silly, I use my rear view mirror. This issue may cause us to use Safari Mode combined with Sunrider mode even more often.
This is definitely a concern I would have! I have 33s currently and I imagine it would look even stranger sitting so high above the spare. I'm very interested in a picture of how it looks with the top down.

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
It is resting on the tie down rails. I could cut the last few inches off, and it would lower an inch, but that wouldn't solve the top riding higher than stock.

Rigby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubi OB
Hmmmm... That really is stacked up pretty high. Not the fault of the Slipstream, the top is the bigger culprit. Thanks for posting these. I guess that's why the videos of it never have a top attached. I'll still be getting one, just glad to know what to expect.

Sponsored

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Wow that is sticking up really high. Now I'm wondering if that would have an effect on gas mileage with that drag or if it's no different than how it should rest w/o the Slipstream. I was 100% set on picking up the Slipstream when I order the soft top but now I'm having 2nd thoughts...that said, other security solutions I imagine would have the same issue.

Rigby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubi OB
Wow that is sticking up really high. Now I'm wondering if that would have an effect on gas mileage with that drag or if it's no different than how it should rest w/o the Slipstream. I was 100% set on picking up the Slipstream when I order the soft top but now I'm having 2nd thoughts...that said, other security solutions I imagine would have the same issue.
I agree that the issue probably isn't exclusive to the Slipstream, that's why I ordered one yesterday (and also because the price is increasing April 1).

jayz235

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
I didn't know about the price increase?! Hmm that could cause me to purchase earlier (good play, Diabolical).

@Last Mango are you still able to lock the soft top down or is it not even close now? And if not, are you securing the top to the tie down rails or is it really not necessary?

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't know about the price increase?! Hmm that could cause me to purchase earlier (good play, Diabolical).

@Last Mango are you still able to lock the soft top down or is it not even close now? And if not, are you securing the top to the tie down rails or is it really not necessary?
There will be a price increase soon but we are doing a Giveaway this month on FB, and you can use the code giveaway10 until the price change.
Sponsored