Sponsored

Diabolical Slipstream Install and review

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
It does fit, but you have to make two small slits in the sides so the brackets can fit on the rear seat mounts without pinching the cargo mat.

One of the things the Molle Panels do is strengthen the top. You can already put a lot of weight up there, but if someone were to mount a tire or put something greater the 150 Lbs, the Molle Panels would be needed.
How much approx can the panels hold w/Molle panels?
Sponsored

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
How much approx can the panels hold w/Molle panels?
We say 185lbs. Much of this depends on how, and where you put the weight. If its spread out over both panels, likely higher. I've seen 250 Lbs guys standing on it, they just have to distribute their weight. The weak point would be right at the folding line. We've had others mount 40" Tires on top and wheel the crap out it with no damage. The weight of the wheel isn't the issue as it's probably around 120-130Lbs, but the force of the vehicle slamming down on a rock or bump increases that exponentially.

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
We also will be introducing the accessory, Rack Rail, for the Slipstream. Seen here, this will bolt onto the tie down rails, sit above the folding top so it can still be removed. If you are mounting a Power Tank, Gun Rack, Hi-Lift, it can done on the rack rail without putting weight on the folding top

Jeep Wrangler JL Diabolical Slipstream Install and review 1610632799702

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
We also will be introducing the accessory, Rack Rail, for the Slipstream. Seen here, this will bolt onto the tie down rails, sit above the folding top so it can still be removed. If you are mounting a Power Tank, Gun Rack, Hi-Lift, it can done on the rack rail without putting weight on the folding top

Jeep Wrangler JL Diabolical Slipstream Install and review 1610632799702
Can’t wait for this! I have a power tank mounted on my roll bar and it makes the top unable to fold open. Consider one sold when they come out.

Sponsored

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Of course this comes out within weeks of me drilling into my Slipstream to mount my Power Tank...

It's very cool that the rail will work with the Slipstream top removed.

tonyp913

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rivian R1S
Of course this comes out within weeks of me drilling into my Slipstream to mount my Power Tank...

It's very cool that the rail will work with the Slipstream top removed.
Can you send a pic of your Power Tank mounting solution? What size tank do you have? I've got stock 33" KO2s and stock Rubicon rims, so I'm leaning toward the 15lb tank. Probably won't go much below 20 psi (60 percent of full), so that's a lot of 15 psi fills with a 15 lb tank, I think.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Can you send a pic of your Power Tank mounting solution? What size tank do you have? I've got stock 33" KO2s and stock Rubicon rims, so I'm leaning toward the 15lb tank. Probably won't go much below 20 psi (60 percent of full), so that's a lot of 15 psi fills with a 15 lb tank, I think.
I‘m not quite sure a 15lb tank would fit with the way I have it mounted. Maybe. I have a 10lb tank and a 10lb spare. I used this bracket https://powertank.com/collections/power-tank-co2-brackets/products/bkt-2400-1 with a base mount. I drilled holes in the slipstream and just used bolts and lock washers to attach the base.

Jeep Wrangler JL Diabolical Slipstream Install and review 38337E76-8B03-4B99-8561-49C705C6BD4C

Jeep Wrangler JL Diabolical Slipstream Install and review 7A6D7F6C-CC8D-4715-8875-1D124B83B795

tonyp913

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rivian R1S
I‘m not quite sure a 15lb tank would fit with the way I have it mounted. Maybe. I have a 10lb tank and a 10lb spare. I used this bracket https://powertank.com/collections/power-tank-co2-brackets/products/bkt-2400-1 with a base mount. I drilled holes in the slipstream and just used bolts and lock washers to attach the base.
That looks great Mikej! Have you been happy with the 10 lb tank? How many fills do you typically get on what size tires (if you can estimate)?

Sponsored

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That looks great Mikej! Have you been happy with the 10 lb tank? How many fills do you typically get on what size tires (if you can estimate)?
Thanks! I’ve been happy with the 10lb tank. I have ~35” KO2s that I air down to 16lbs and back up to 35ish psi. I’d say I got five or six fills easily. I didn’t run it until empty, so there was certainly some left.

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Two questions on the Slipstream. In installing on a Sahara Wrangler JLU, I know you remove the top, and it appears the side top panels are to be bolted down over the holes where the hardtop is bolted down. (Either when you return the top or without) Does this seal up so there's no moisture leaking with no gaps as pre-SS? Also when you posted the pics on the Rack Rail, it appears you have an added rubber mat installed on top of the SS, which I really like. Keeps things from sliding. Is that something that is added to or can be purchases?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Two questions on the Slipstream. In installing on a Sahara Wrangler JLU, I know you remove the top, and it appears the side top panels are to be bolted down over the holes where the hardtop is bolted down. (Either when you return the top or without) Does this seal up so there's no moisture leaking with no gaps as pre-SS? Also when you posted the pics on the Rack Rail, it appears you have an added rubber mat installed on top of the SS, which I really like. Keeps things from sliding. Is that something that is added to or can be purchases?

There is gasket on the sides so does not lean with either top. However the Slipstream other than that is not water tight or resistant, rain will leak through the top surfaces. I had the rubber mat at one time however the horizontal surface of the slipstream is a dirt/dust catcher, it became a Pain to clean so I have resorted back to the smooth stock metal top which had held up well. I have one of the 1st JL Slipstreams made (about 2.5 years) and it still look and is functioning great

Wokiebear

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Thanks, Lightsout. I was trying to really refer to the sides where the hardtop is put back on making a good seal. I do realize the "exposed SS would not be watertight, except when the hardtop is on. I rarely go without the top as it's difficult for me to handle by myself. I don't have a lift harness yet.

Daffydnbugs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
Finally got mine installed after some choice words and thought I would add a review as well.
Jeep Wrangler JL Diabolical Slipstream Install and review 7A6D7F6C-CC8D-4715-8875-1D124B83B795
It wasn't a very complicated install just very time consuming, about 4 hrs as others have stated. Mainly from having to watch the install video,pause, play, scratch head, rewind, etc and the lack of a powered ratchet. If I had to do it over I could prob do it in half the time. It did seem to me the metal is a tad bit on the thin side but i image it cant be much thicker or there may be some issues fitting the hartop back properly Overall it is a great product aside from some minor things that disturb my OCD. Not seeing the powder coating issues others have mentioned. The coating on mine was perfect. Although the top has started to wear on the passenger side where the top meets the horizontal rail. I've tried and tried to adjust it and I just cant seem to adjust it enough to not rub on that corner. It's not bad just enough to be annoying. I was too lazy to pull the pins to lift it up and snap a pic.

One thing that kind of bothers me is that all the corners are very sharp and pointed. Could easily catch a pc of cloth and tear it like leaning over into the jeep and catching a shirt or something on it. A quick brush of a file on the corners would solve that. The mystery hole in the front edge of the wing bothers me a bit as well. Not sure why it is there as there are no threads or holes in the body where its located. I didnt notice this hole in the wings from the install video or the other pics ive seen posted here. I thought about cutting a little piece of electrical tape and placing it in there or something. I also thought it would be nice to have a filler to the front of the wing where the body metal is still exposed.

Not real happy about how the rear tailpieces sit on the body. These are the pieces that are added on if you arent using the soft top. I dont have a soft top but looking at some of the picture of others with the soft top i see the soft top kit has a pc that bolts on here. Seems to me like if you put a whole in the tailpiece where the soft top bracket bolts you could run a bolt down through it and it would sit much nicer. I may just end up drilling a hole in it myself as this is the one thing about the whole thing that bothers me the most. Anyone have the capabilty of making a template from their soft top bracket for the location of this hole?

Also thought it would have been nice to see some rubber gasket material around the rollbar postsand the tie down rails. Easy enough to mod but will have to take the whole damn thing apart to do it.

Attaching the molle panels once you have attached the tailpiece you cannot get your rivets in as the predrilled holes line up with exactly where the nuts are. If you put the rivets in first you wont be able to tighten these nuts. Had to drill new holes for the rivets not a big deal but minor incovenience. I suspect this will be changed on future units. Also one on the pin retainers broke the first time i removed it. :swear:
Aside from all the minor inconsistancies this thing is great and i would recomend it to anyone. Im really not trying to pick this thing apart as it is a really great system just pointing out the things that stood out to me.
Design - 8/10
Function - 9/10
Ease of Install - 7/10
Finish - 10/10
Price - 6/10
Curious if you drilled the holes to make the rear corner tailpieces fit better?
Sponsored