Diabolical Slipstream Install and review

1. lightsout

lightsout Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, Tesla Model-S, Infinity G37 Hardtop Convertible, 2018 Fleetwood Bounder 35K, Bayliner 4588 Motor Yacht
    Liked:
    Unlike the Steps you are referring to that do not get fully powder coated the Slipstream is all sheet metal with no welds, no concealed areas so every surface is powder coated.

I have one of the 1st ever produced for the JL I have had it for 14 months now and ran all summer with top off even had several rain events where the slipstream was exposed. Also live in the Pacific North West in a salt water and rainy environment. So far no a flak of rust.

mikej likes this.
  2. greenerobnmu

greenerobnmu Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    great news. One more question. I run a hardtop. Is there any additional wind noise created due the thickness of the material between the top and the tub?

3. ZeroFox

ZeroFox Well-Known Member
    Peak Sponsor (Level 2)

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Rubicon Unlimited
    Liked:
    Diabolical Inc
    Garage Profiles:
    The thickness of the material is very small between the hard top and the vehicle. This thickness is absorbed with the OEM gasket under the hard top. There is no issue with wind noise.

4. greenerobnmu

greenerobnmu Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    thanks but I’m looking for real owners to reply. By your description the OEM gasket doesn’t do anything until a slipstream is installed. I assume this adds 2mm of material between the tub of the hardtop (gasket). That is potential for extra noise in any vehicle. Just looking for input from hardtop owners.

5. swimman

swimman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    No issue with additional noise while using my hard top. The hard top does flex a little when tightening the screws which helps to seal that gap although it is very minimal. If this is a concern of yours I would say not to worry.

As well I have not noticed any water intrusion as it must be sealing as intended.

Dan S likes this.
  6. lightsout

lightsout Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Gary
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, Tesla Model-S, Infinity G37 Hardtop Convertible, 2018 Fleetwood Bounder 35K, Bayliner 4588 Motor Yacht
    Liked:
    Zero Fox is 100% accurate. The metal is thin I did add a weather strip on the forward couple inches where there is no slipstream decking between the top and the rail this filled in a small gap and assured me no rain would get in, while it was not an issue without the strip it made me feel better. Wind noise is a mute issue there is nothing about the slipstream or the posture of the hardtop that would even remotely produce wind noise.

Look, the Slipstream after nearly a year and a half is still one of my favorite mods, it is a smart, functional component, and frankly the company is stand up.

Being a early adopter of Slipstream JL I had my share of issues (mostly finish and fit of the early systems) but all have been worked out and frankly they were all minor issues.

Just buy it

7. Mr.Fatstacks

Mr.Fatstacks Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    ‘19 Sport Manual
    Liked:
    #97 Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Just read the entire thread, forgive me if I missed this: once this is installed on a two door, does it need to be fully uninstalled to get the rear seats back in or is it similar to to truck tonneau covers that can be removed/reinstalled relatively quickly and easily by leaving the brackets or mounting gear installed and just removing the top section?

Although nobody has sat in the back seat yet, it’s theoretically possible that I might take more than one passenger some day so would like to keep that option open...

8. Jocko

Jocko Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Sting Gray JLUR
    Liked:
    I love my slipstream but in my opinion the finish is by far the weakest part. Simply sliding a rubbermaid storage bin across the top made tons of scuff marks. Not enough to get to the metal and cause rust, but it looks terrible. Meanwhile the paint has chipped in many places on the edges and, somewhat understandably, in the holes where the hard top alignment pins go. And those all start rusting immediately. This was all within a few months after install.

So I’m planning to take off all of the top panels and coat them with something more durable. Then it should be perfect. It’s otherwise an amazing product and I’d still 100% recommend it even with the finish problems I’ve had.

greenerobnmu likes this.
  9. Mall Crawler

Mall Crawler Member

First Name:
    James and Katie
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bikini JLU, 2020 Sting Gray JL
    Liked:
    how is hydrturf holding up and was one sheet enough to cover the whole top? thanks!!!