Sponsored

DFW -> Grand Canyon South Rim - Tips/Trails/Suggestions?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Starting my research for a Family Road Trip to the Grand Canyon next year (DFW area -> South Rim) and I'd love any tips/tricks/suggestions/trail recos/etc.

[Sadly] not likely to be overlanding, but otherwise give me what you've got!
Sponsored

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Exactly what kind of info are you looking for aside from trails? I've made the drive down I-40 many times and have been to Grand Canyon several times as well. Are you giving yourself time to see other things? You wont be too far from Zion, Bryce Canyon, etc.

Grand Canyon Village and Tusayan are pretty expensive (food, lodging, fuel, etc) but saves you the drive from Williams or Flagstaff. Those are mostly 2 lane highways and can at times be a bit crowded or slow moving. Might be worth the extra few bucks to stay in Tusayan. As a Texan, you probably wont like the Mexican food place there but the pizza place is great.

It will be a little bit out of your way, but check out Sedona. Just West of Sedona is Cottonwood and the ghost town called Jerome. I recommend taking 89A from Flagstaff to head down to Sedona. Its a beautiful drive, especially if you happen to do it in the fall.

There are several trails down in Sedona along with some hiking. Soldier's Pass, Broken Arrow, and the BOH trail Schnelby Hill. The first two I mentioned are pretty short. Soldier's Pass requires a permit. Schnelby runs over to 17 to get back up to Flagstaff. They are all pretty easy. I did them all in my stock Rubi. If you're collecting Badges, there's also Table Mesa not too far away and maybe Crown King will get added again.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@Col_Sanders

Great questions and info. Currently, this is the route - aside from the long haul home at the end, it only requires ~6hrs of driving per day (or less), which would allow for some stops, side exploration, etc.

DFW -> Amarillo
Amarillo -> Gallup, NM
Gallup -> North Rim (not camping so was planning to stay in/around Page, NM, as there are lots of cool little AirBnB options up there)
North Rim -> Moab, UT (swinging through Monument Valley on the way)
Moab -> Pagosa Springs, CO

Planning to spend a 2 nights (1 full day) at the North Rim, and 2 nights (1 full day) in Moab. I'll be driving my Sahara, but should have 2" lift + 35s by this time, so while not as fully capable as a Rubi, should be able to handle most trails up to Medium (still gotta drive the thing home, lol).

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
You already changed your mind? lol

I've never been to the North Rim so I cant comment there. If you're going to Page, may as well see Horseshoe Bend. Mesa Verde National Park in CO was really nice and looks like its kind of on your route. I wish we had gotten a tour but they get booked up fast. Canyon of the Ancients is pretty close too but we didnt have time for that one.

The trails I mentioned in Sedona are easy. Pink Jeep does tours on most of them.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@Col_Sanders North Rim is reportedly less touristy, and allows me to sneak in a day in Moab without the wife getting too annoyed. :)

Sweet - appreciate the trails reco. I saw that you can actually rent a Jeep in Moab, too. On the one hand, that seems smart so I can tackle harder trails without risking my ride home, but on the other side, it just seems.....weird....and kinda cruel to take my Jeep all the way there but then run another rig on the trail, lol.

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Very cool trip - I love Northern Arizona, we typically spend a day in Sedona and rent a Jeep when we are in Phoenix. I will pile on to what others have shared too

I enjoyed the history of Schnebly, but given just how bumpy it is I am not sure I would do it again. The permit for Soldiers pass is like $5 and it was kind of fun to see the look on other people's face as I unlocked the gate, drove through and locked it back up.

Broken Arrow is fun, and yes if possible a visit to Jerome is a great side trip as well, who can pass up the wickedest city in the west!

From a scenic point of view 89A between Flagstaff and Sedona is beautiful, and if time allows you can stop at slide rock park to cool off.

I haven't explored or stayed at Grand Canyon NP (yet!) but I did stop in at Horseshoe Bend which is to the north, and that was very pretty too.

Lastly if you are coming in on I40 there is a giant meteor crater you can easily visit, admission is a bit high, but it is a pretty amazing sight to see.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
My advice; when you get to the edge of the canyon, STOP!

On your trip, if you are going through Sedona, on of my favorite trails is "Broken Arrow".

Have a fun and safe trip.
Sponsored