First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
If anyone has purchased the DFG Offroad dual zone 53 qt fridge I would like to get your feedback, including whether it can fit behind the drivers side of the JLUR.
Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Are you wanting to know if it will fit in the cargo area between the rear seat and back door?

Likely, no with a fridge that size. Also, how many people are you feeding? 53 is a lot of cold storage space.

OP
OP
Mugzzzee

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
Are you wanting to know if it will fit in the cargo area between the rear seat and back door?

Likely, no with a fridge that size. Also, how many people are you feeding? 53 is a lot of cold storage space.
Thanks for your response. I figured after I posted this the fit might be tight. DFG was going to provide some photos of their 53qt dual zone in a Wrangler. However, when I realized that the Alpicool and Costway were virtually identical I decided against DFG. I am going to wait for the Dometic CFX# 45 to become available.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts

I don't know what people are used to, however 53 is not really that much space, especially if you are doing 3-4 nighters.

As for if a 53 will fit, it really comes down to unit dimensions. Capacity is irrelevant due to fridge outside dimensional variation. I have the Dometic CFX3-55, and I modified it to fit in the back with the rear seat up.

Sponsored

chairborne33

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I don't know what people are used to, however 53 is not really that much space, especially if you are doing 3-4 nighters.

As for if a 53 will fit, it really comes down to unit dimensions. Capacity is irrelevant due to fridge outside dimensional variation. I have the Dometic CFX3-55, and I modified it to fit in the back with the rear seat up.
What type of modifications were necessary? Removing the handles? Also, did you use a slide?

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
What type of modifications were necessary? Removing the handles? Also, did you use a slide?
I completely removed the handle assembly, fabricated low profile mount plates, and used paracord grab handles. Does the job, and it now fits. I do not use a slide, however I could. I would lose too much side space for other containers I have that sit alongside the Dometic.
Jeep Wrangler JL DFG Offroad Dual Zone 53 QT Fridge 069D3A1B-D86C-4EB5-BB94-3A302D905B29
Jeep Wrangler JL DFG Offroad Dual Zone 53 QT Fridge E7E03C25-4E84-439B-B622-EA6E554093F3

chairborne33

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's slick. I will most likely be using a slide and my main concern is that a slide adds height which means the fridge hits up higher on the slanted rear seat. The higher you go, the less space you have lengthwise.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
That's slick. I will most likely be using a slide and my main concern is that a slide adds height which means the fridge hits up higher on the slanted rear seat. The higher you go, the less space you have lengthwise.
Yes you are right. I knew there was another reason, but I had forgotten about that issue. As is right now with the Dometic cover installed, the lid already catches the back of the seat upon opening, since you’re going into the slant and it catches the lip of the cover every time. Add a slide and that shoved it out so far that it will not even clear the tailgate probably.

chairborne33

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes you are right. I knew there was another reason, but I had forgotten about that issue. As is right now with the Dometic cover installed, the lid already catches the back of the seat upon opening, since you’re going into the slant and it catches the lip of the cover every time. Add a slide and that shoved it out so far that it will not even clear the tailgate probably.
I've been speaking with American Adventure Labs and they are hopefully getting a CFX3 55IM in their shop soon. They are going to see if it works with the M.A.S.S. platform and slide. I'm hoping it does, maybe with the handles off, but if it doesn't I'll be going with the smaller fridge.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
I've been speaking with American Adventure Labs and they are hopefully getting a CFX3 55IM in their shop soon. They are going to see if it works with the M.A.S.S. platform and slide. I'm hoping it does, maybe with the handles off, but if it doesn't I'll be going with the smaller fridge.
Just remember it’s all about dimensions. Size only gives you volume. Every brand has different X, Y, Z dims, so if one doesn’t fit, another might. I had one of those $350 Chinese units. It was a 53 Quart and it worked very nicely. Then my OCD kicked in and the fear of the compressor dying took over. So I bought the DOM to settle myself
Sponsored

Last edited: