Clubs

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I'm trying to make sure everything I do has OEM style connectors on this build. They seem pretty pricy, but they look to be quite nice. Does anyone have any experience with them? Should I just bite the bullet and "buy once; cry once" on this?

https://smile.amazon.com/JRready-Connector-Connectors-Terminals-Equivalent/dp/B089NFTJ86/ref=sr_1_3?crid=4UCG66HUV3O&dchild=1&keywords=deutsch+connector&qid=1631022031&sprefix=debt,aps,291&sr=8-3&th=1

They are nice. The crimp tool is most of the money and having the right crimp tool is very helpful when building wire harnesses. I get my connectors from Waytek (a lot cheaper), but you have to buy volume. So sometimes I might use a 4pin connector when I only need 3 and just install a plug into the empty spot. Nice thing about deutsch connectors is they are widely used in the aftermarket, so that will make life easier for you if your run Diode Dynamics or Rigid lights. Baja Designs uses WeatherTech (delphi, no Aptiv or something) which aren't as nice and bulkier, but in the end work the same.
For anything you'll do aftermarket I don't see you needing more than 2 and 4 pin connectors. I think that kit you will be buying a lot of what you don't use. If you did rock lights you might have 6 or 8 lights, but they don't all need their own individual circuit. You can easily just splice a line off so a set of lights is on each terminal (L & R front, L&R rear, etc).

Typically you pay 4x from amazon for connectors & terminals, but then you can buy smaller volumes. From Waytek I will buy the minimum or up to 20 if the min is 5 for the housing. But the terminals are good to have more (typical min is 50 or 100) in case you redo the wire harness later or you can easily reuse the housing and then crimp new terminals to new wiring.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

They are nice. The crimp tool is most of the money and having the right crimp tool is very helpful when building wire harnesses. I get my connectors from Waytek (a lot cheaper), but you have to buy volume. So sometimes I might use a 4pin connector when I only need 3 and just install a plug into the empty spot. Nice thing about deutsch connectors is they are widely used in the aftermarket, so that will make life easier for you if your run Diode Dynamics or Rigid lights. Baja Designs uses WeatherTech (delphi, no Aptiv or something) which aren't as nice and bulkier, but in the end work the same.
For anything you'll do aftermarket I don't see you needing more than 2 and 4 pin connectors. I think that kit you will be buying a lot of what you don't use. If you did rock lights you might have 6 or 8 lights, but they don't all need their own individual circuit. You can easily just splice a line off so a set of lights is on each terminal (L & R front, L&R rear, etc).

Typically you pay 4x from amazon for connectors & terminals, but then you can buy smaller volumes. From Waytek I will buy the minimum or up to 20 if the min is 5 for the housing. But the terminals are good to have more (typical min is 50 or 100) in case you redo the wire harness later or you can easily reuse the housing and then crimp new terminals to new wiring.
Man I figured this post would get lost in the noise. Thank you so much for taking the time to craft a useful response. I figured the same; I would likely use up all the two pin connnectors and end up needing more way before I touched an 8 pin. Great info on waytek. I’ll definitely look them up. I’m not against having extras laying around for the next project.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Man I figured this post would get lost in the noise. Thank you so much for taking the time to craft a useful response. I figured the same; I would likely use up all the two pin connnectors and end up needing more way before I touched an 8 pin. Great info on waytek. I’ll definitely look them up. I’m not against having extras laying around for the next project.
me neither and happy to help. I bought Delphi stuff years ago for my JK because ARB and companies used them and I wanted to build my own harnesses. So I went that route, but I like the Deutsch connectors better; they're more compact. I have a handful of 2 and 3 pin delphis w/ a few 5pin on what is used for the ARB twin compressor. I design medical devices and cable harnesses are something I deal with often at work, so I have some experience. For my personal life I prefer to spend the little extra to buy the correct crimp tool and pin extractor (very helpful tool) for what connectors I have.
Make sure you learn the connector to get all the bits and pieces needed. For instance, water seals aren't always required to use a connector and can often be sold separately. If the wire side is not sealed, then there is a water ingress point. Sometimes this requires you to have a few different seals depending on the gauge of wire.

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JKURD AEV JL370; 2014 GC Overland Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Reviving this old thread. Thanks for the info. Any chance you’d be willing to share your Waytek parts list for the 2 and 4 pin connectors? And I’ve been told that I don’t want to use the open barrel crimp connectors, only the solid ones that take a specialty crimper (the one that crimps 4 sides at once - that I bought already). Thanks in advance!

The equivalent of THIS is what I’m asking about. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Reviving this old thread. Thanks for the info. Any chance you’d be willing to share your Waytek parts list for the 2 and 4 pin connectors? And I’ve been told that I don’t want to use the open barrel crimp connectors, only the solid ones that take a specialty crimper (the one that crimps 4 sides at once - that I bought already). Thanks in advance!

Paging @brewski

4a4c55

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911, M3, JLU

I'm not the guy you're looking for, but I don't think Waytek sells Deutsch connectors anymore. Deutsch got bought out by TE Connectivity. The connectors you're looking for are DT-series connectors.

Waytek does sell Amphenol AT-series connectors which are compatible with Deutsch DT-series connectors. The 4-pin connector kit you linked from Amazon looks like AT4PS-CKIT, which is Waytek part 40060.

There's also DeutschConnectorStore.com and DeutschConnector.com who both sell kits, tools, and all the parts.

After all that ... that Amazon page doesn't seem so bad, though: you can buy a bundle of 4-pin connectors if that's what you need, or a bundle of any other pin-count. And their prices are pretty reasonable ... about one fifth the price the Amphenol kit from Waytek!

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
I'm not the guy you're looking for, but I don't think Waytek sells Deutsch connectors anymore. Deutsch got bought out by TE Connectivity. The connectors you're looking for are DT-series connectors.

Waytek does sell Amphenol AT-series connectors which are compatible with Deutsch DT-series connectors. The 4-pin connector kit you linked from Amazon looks like AT4PS-CKIT, which is Waytek part 40060.

There's also DeutschConnectorStore.com and DeutschConnector.com who both sell kits, tools, and all the parts.

After all that ... that Amazon page doesn't seem so bad, though: you can buy a bundle of 4-pin connectors if that's what you need, or a bundle of any other pin-count. And their prices are pretty reasonable ... about one fifth the price the Amphenol kit from Waytek!
Thank you for this. I’ll check it all out. I appreciate you taking the time to share this!!

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I used These and some other cheap DT connector pack from Amazon that isn’t sold anymore. Seemed to work for me. Didn’t need to spend $300 on the name brand package, and only needed a handful of connectors for sets of driving lights.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Just for future knowledge, Cat equipment dealers keep DT style Deutsch connectors in stock for most sizes if you need something quick and have one close to you. Not usually too expensive, but higher than Amazon or such.

bobholthaus

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technology Integrator
Just for future knowledge, Cat equipment dealers keep DT style Deutsch connectors in stock for most sizes if you need something quick and have one close to you. Not usually too expensive, but higher than Amazon or such.
Thank you for this info!
Sponsored