Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I think I rubbed too aggressively in two spots on my White JL's hood, each about the size that's a little bit smaller than a CD.

I'd include pictures but my cameras lack the ability to capture this despite taking the pictures in numerous amounts and types of outdoor light.

If I never fix this---I should never know worse. But can I, or should I turf it out? If if I turf it out to what type of professional (body repair, detailer, etc.) The paint is by all means intact, its just not as shiny from certain visual angles.

If I do it myself does anyone have a recommendation or video on how best to do this and in what steps? Am I using the clear coat part of the matching paint brush I have? I'm I using 2K Clear coat? Am I masking off sections. Am I blending?

I don't want to make things worse.

Thanks in advance. I do realize pictures would help.
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm betting it will buff out. I've been detailing for years and usually am able to remove hand created abrasions.

A soft compound, followed by several finishing polish passes with an orbital buffer usually does it. Can't advise more without seeing it.

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I'm betting it will buff out. I've been detailing for years and usually am able to remove hand created abrasions.

A soft compound, followed by several passes with an orbital buff usually does it. Can't advise more without seeing it.
Thanks Michael. Can you elaborate on tools and product for me while keeping this at a 3rd grader's level?

Absolving you of wrong doing, might you have a favorite brand of soft compound, and might an orbital vehicle buffer from say, Harbor Freight, that doesn't break my bank, be a good starting point?

How does further friction bring back a shine that friction seems to have taken away..? I'm guessing it's something that's in, or about properly using the compound.

Thank you sir.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Out at dinner at the moment, but will provide more detail when I get home. Hang in there!

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Autogeek has all the supplies and tools you need. There is plenty of information on the site in the forum and how-to section.

If you do buy a tool, I suggest you get a random orbit. It's too easy to burn through the paint with a rotary if you don't have any experience using one.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
With what you've described, I'd recommend starting simple. Do you have a Chemical Guys store near you? For small scratches and imperfections, I generally start with their VSS Scratch and Swirl Remover. Before you invest in a buffer (strongly recommended), why not get a terrycloth applicator or dedicated polishing pad and try applying the VSS by hand. I apply it without the machine often, especially when I just want to attack a bird dropping spot, or stubborn bug goo area.

Their site (link above) also has a "how to" section for applying the VSS with a Dual Action or Rotary Buffer. Leave the rotary buffer to the pros. It's very hard to burn your paint with a dual action or "orbital" buffer. The cheap ones will work, but I prefer the Porter-cable 7424XP.

If you get the buffer, just make several passes left/right then up/down, alternating until the VSS practically disappears. Wipe off with a microfiber towel, inspect and then re-apply if needed. It might take several passes, but I think what you've done is not major and simply dulled the clear coat. Easy fix!

The VSS stuff is basically a one-step product, meaning you really don't need to apply wax/sealants after using it. I do; however, use their V07 Quick Detailer solution about once a week to keep my detail work fresh. Give it a shot, too!

Let me know if you have any questions.
Sponsored