Detail from Detailers

1. Rahneld

Rahneld Banned

First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle(s):
    JL Wrangler
    Liked:
    I think I rubbed too aggressively in two spots on my White JL's hood, each about the size that's a little bit smaller than a CD.

I'd include pictures but my cameras lack the ability to capture this despite taking the pictures in numerous amounts and types of outdoor light.

If I never fix this---I should never know worse. But can I, or should I turf it out? If if I turf it out to what type of professional (body repair, detailer, etc.) The paint is by all means intact, its just not as shiny from certain visual angles.

If I do it myself does anyone have a recommendation or video on how best to do this and in what steps? Am I using the clear coat part of the matching paint brush I have? I'm I using 2K Clear coat? Am I masking off sections. Am I blending?

I don't want to make things worse.

Thanks in advance. I do realize pictures would help.

2. Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I'm betting it will buff out. I've been detailing for years and usually am able to remove hand created abrasions.

A soft compound, followed by several finishing polish passes with an orbital buffer usually does it. Can't advise more without seeing it.

3. OP
    OP
    Rahneld

Rahneld Banned

First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle(s):
    JL Wrangler
    Liked:
    Thanks Michael. Can you elaborate on tools and product for me while keeping this at a 3rd grader's level?

Absolving you of wrong doing, might you have a favorite brand of soft compound, and might an orbital vehicle buffer from say, Harbor Freight, that doesn't break my bank, be a good starting point?

How does further friction bring back a shine that friction seems to have taken away..? I'm guessing it's something that's in, or about properly using the compound.

Thank you sir.

4. Sting_NC_USA

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Out at dinner at the moment, but will provide more detail when I get home. Hang in there!

Rahneld likes this.
  5. vavaroutsos

vavaroutsos Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
    Liked:
    Autogeek has all the supplies and tools you need. There is plenty of information on the site in the forum and how-to section.

If you do buy a tool, I suggest you get a random orbit. It's too easy to burn through the paint with a rotary if you don't have any experience using one.

Rahneld likes this.
  6. Sting_NC_USA

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    With what you've described, I'd recommend starting simple. Do you have a Chemical Guys store near you? For small scratches and imperfections, I generally start with their VSS Scratch and Swirl Remover. Before you invest in a buffer (strongly recommended), why not get a terrycloth applicator or dedicated polishing pad and try applying the VSS by hand. I apply it without the machine often, especially when I just want to attack a bird dropping spot, or stubborn bug goo area.

Their site (link above) also has a "how to" section for applying the VSS with a Dual Action or Rotary Buffer. Leave the rotary buffer to the pros. It's very hard to burn your paint with a dual action or "orbital" buffer. The cheap ones will work, but I prefer the Porter-cable 7424XP.

If you get the buffer, just make several passes left/right then up/down, alternating until the VSS practically disappears. Wipe off with a microfiber towel, inspect and then re-apply if needed. It might take several passes, but I think what you've done is not major and simply dulled the clear coat. Easy fix!

The VSS stuff is basically a one-step product, meaning you really don't need to apply wax/sealants after using it. I do; however, use their V07 Quick Detailer solution about once a week to keep my detail work fresh. Give it a shot, too!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Rahneld and debandi like this.