Reaction score
Website
www.nextventuremotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 Willys VJ, 1973 Jeep Commando, 18 JL , 21 JT
Occupation
CAD Designer, Adventure Machine Outfitter
Updated Jan 19, 2021:

I know it's a bit overdue, so here are the updates on this one ;)
https://nextventuremotorsports.com/...-jl/products/jl-scout-rearwinchbumper-carrier

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 9.45.32 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 9.45.40 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 9.45.46 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 9.45.58 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 9.46.05 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 9.46.11 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 9.46.17 AM.jpg

Rear winches anyone? Playing with the concept for a JL rear winch bumper with lines that are similar to our current adventure series bumper. I would have guessed it's not a huge plus for clearance out back; however the departure angle actually improves just getting the spare 37" tire up a bit higher. I'm also far happier to drag the bumper over rocks then the spare tire haha.

I'm not real attached to the factory receiver... I'm leaning towards integrating a hitch underneath the winch tray, and tying the winch tray into the factory hitch mounting points/rear crossmember. Lights, recovery points... anything else might you guys want to see on it?

Jeep Wrangler JL Our Next JL Product: Rear Winch Bumper With Tire Carrier NVJLRearWinchBumper

Jeep Wrangler JL Our Next JL Product: Rear Winch Bumper With Tire Carrier JLRearWinchBumperFoglights.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
NextDan

NextDan

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes to the LEDs for night recovery, could it be aluminum for weight savings too ?
Great concept
Thanks! Aluminum might be an option in the future; going to stick with steel for this one since we're running a tire carrier on one end of it. An aluminum version that kept the tire on the tailgate might be option; we'll still want to keep some steel in there for the winch tray and recovery points though.

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
This is awesome news!

X2 on an aluminum version using a tailgate-mounted spare with steel winch plate.

I can't wait to see this released, I hope the price point is manageable.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Simple solution. Muffler delete, winch in muffler location, roller fairlead fits in 2" receiver, cable passes through. You need a quick release for winch hook so you can remove it, wind cable through, remove fairlead, and install your normal drop hitch for towing. What's next?

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
Simple solution. Muffler delete, winch in muffler location, roller fairlead fits in 2" receiver, cable passes through. You need a quick release for winch hook so you can remove it, wind cable through, remove fairlead, and install your normal drop hitch for towing. What's next?
Great idea incorporating a hitch receiver. I wouldn't give up my hitch receiver for a winch, I want both!

OP
OP
NextDan

NextDan

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Really intriguing idea. How do you properly wrap the cable or rope back onto the spool with such a narrow cross section to feed the drum from? I imagine the cable might bunch up towards the center of the drum being fed through a hitch? I've never had one setup like described; might have to test it!

Last edited:

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Really intriguing idea. How do you properly wrap the cable or rope back onto the spool with such a narrow cross section to feed the drum from? I imagine the cable might bunch up towards the center of the drum being fed through a hitch? I've never had one setup like described; might have to test it!
Was thinking about that. Face winch with normal fairlead towards axle, snatch block forward of axle, cable runs back rearward to receiver hitch?

You could also have option to route same cable from that winch through to the front bumper for a convenient mounting place for a forward or rear pull.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NextDan

NextDan

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've got a couple updates on this! We refined the design of this a bit more in Solidworks since we last posted a screenshot.

NVJLRWB02.PNG

Changed some design elements, added some recovery points....

NVJLRWB Overlay.PNG

And gave lots of thought as to how our departure angle may be affected compared to what we had on the JL already. See imaginary line and overlay in the picture above.

We have sucked the rear bumper in as tight to the Jeep's rear crossmember as possible. The winch tray inside the bumper has 4 mounting holes that mate up with the rear crossmember of the JL; these tie into the OEM rear hitch mounting points. There's a gap to allow the rear hitch receiver to remain in place - or the gap can be taken up with the piece highlighted below that matches the thickness of the receiver bracket.

NVJLRWB-HitchDelete.PNG

I was pretty happy with the design and felt ready to put together the first one -- so off we went cutting, bending and welding on rear winch bumper #1.

NVJLRWB Shackle tie in.jpg

Sponsored

MaggieJeep

First Name
Maggie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR Granite Crystal
Occupation
Architect
I've got a couple updates on this! We refined the design of this a bit more in Solidworks since we last posted a screenshot.

Jeep Wrangler JL Our Next JL Product: Rear Winch Bumper With Tire Carrier NVJLRWB Shackle tie in

Changed some design elements, added some recovery points....

Jeep Wrangler JL Our Next JL Product: Rear Winch Bumper With Tire Carrier NVJLRWB Shackle tie in

And gave lots of thought as to how our departure angle may be affected compared to what we had on the JL already. See imaginary line and overlay in the picture above.

We have sucked the rear bumper in as tight to the Jeep's rear crossmember as possible. The winch tray inside the bumper has 4 mounting holes that mate up with the rear crossmember of the JL; these tie into the OEM rear hitch mounting points. There's a gap to allow the rear hitch receiver to remain in place - or the gap can be taken up with the piece highlighted below that matches the thickness of the receiver bracket.

I was pretty happy with the design and felt ready to put together the first one -- so off we went cutting, bending and welding on rear winch bumper #1.

Any updates on this?

OP
OP
NextDan

NextDan

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Need a hitch receiver.... come on man... figure it out... a little JB...
Jack

Great idea incorporating a hitch receiver. I wouldn't give up my hitch receiver for a winch, I want both!

OP
OP
NextDan

NextDan

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Need a hitch receiver.... come on man... figure it out... a little JB...
Jack
These work with the factory hitch receiver ;)

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Defintely needs a Hi-Lift mount. Bonus points if you add a shovel, titan fuel tank and Maxtrax mounts too.
Sponsored