Sponsored

Design

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Something to chat about while we wait for JKU15 to leak the JL.. or not...

I must say.. the rear end design of the JLU/JL, imo, is flawless. It’s not trying to be a TJ or JK and is distinctively JL. The body line looks great and adds character. The front end design, however, isn’t nearly as great in my opinion. It is most certainly not the best Jeep design when considering CJ and TJ.

What are your thoughts on design?

2ADDD83E-6114-49BB-B859-D6673874A590.jpeg

DBE67897-62C5-4AF4-A324-52B5E973975B.jpeg

F552AA5F-0953-486A-B26D-9A0C6E52E7A9.jpeg

49B5EC4C-3D26-404C-AF4E-D9E48461D7C8.jpeg
Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Jeep did some good things (but don't tell them!).

Jeep finally moved the rear wiper motor to behind the spare. Something they should have done starting with the YJ. The space behind the spare is already visually dead space and should have been obvious as the best place to put the vision blocking wiper motor. Plus, by placing the motor there, the wiper blade can clean the glass around the spare, rather than the glass behind the spare.

Its tough to see by these pictures, but from what I read, the spare has been dropped down a bit, putting more of it over the tailgate and less over the rear window.

Jeep finally realized that the gas filler isn't behind the rear plate anymore (since the TJ?) so there is no longer a need to put it under the left taillight. I guess we'll have to wait and see, though, if the rear plate remains on the bumper. I wonder because I don't see a light for it.

I don't see the rear camera (Parkview). Still wondering where they have chosen to place it.

Also, it would be nice if Jeep had a way to more securely "lock" the spare.

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
I don't see the rear camera (Parkview). Still wondering where they have chosen to place it.
The rear view camera sticks out of the middle of spare tire.

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 7.00.14 PM.jpg

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
It looks like they've learned many lessons from the JK, but also appreciate what made the TJ so great, and put it all together.

This may not be a design argument persay, but the only thing I'm really worried about is the inclusion of all the modern technology. I'm not necessarily against it, but at the same time, I never thought I'd be that guy, shaking his fist about all the new fangled techmotrons they're putting into everything now. Given how disposable modern vehicles are these days being more technology-based and less mechanical, there are a ton of new vehicles on the road that you really just can't imagine keeping more than 5-10 years. That isn't something I'd ever associate with a Wrangler until now.

Given how much technology actually governs the JK, I'm still wondering how long they'll last, too. A CJ, YJ, and even TJ will stand the test of time far better than a JK ever will. However, the design and look of any Wrangler will always age well. I still think the TJ looks awesome to this day and its design cues in the JL make it look even better.

(Feel free to move this post elsewhere or tell me to shut it if I'm derailing the thread.)

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I guess we'll have to wait and see, though, if the rear plate remains on the bumper. I wonder because I don't see a light for it.
As mentioned it’s currently located in the spare tire, but it does look modular with a torx/hex bolt that may allow easy relocation.
The License Plate light is integrated into the bumper itself from the side, no above. Less likely to be damaged reversing on the trail, not that it was a prevelant issue.

757EB816-0DC9-44CC-82A2-56B12D2A8441.jpeg

Also, it would be nice if Jeep had a way to more securely "lock" the spare.
And even just a stock Hood Lock like the Euros would be nice. :idea:

Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
All that I have done so far is wonderful for me so far, There is nothing that occupies my mind now except about what they did about:
1- Insulation, noise and water leakage (inside the cabin)
2- Air Conditioning Slots (for rear row)
3-motors, (power / torque)
4- Matters related to safety.

There are things we will never know until the time of official disclosure.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Looks to me like they nailed it. I can't wait to see the interior. That will be the clincher.

The best part, to me, is that they didn't screw it up. And all of us Jeep junkies who look at it through a microscope need to know that most people won't be able to tell it from a JK. When looking at the massive success of the JK, you will find your answer as to why.

Btw, I'm not worried about the longevity of the JK. Mine is 10 years old, has 116k miles on it, looks and drives like new, and it will still be in my garage for many years to come, even after the arrival of the JL.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rear view camera sticks out of the middle of spare tire.

Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 7.00.14 PM.jpg
Thanks, you're right. I was looking for it, everywhere but in the center of the wheel.

I guess JL owners will need to keep (and not loose) the center cap for the spare's wheel, somewhere safe.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And even just a stock Hood Lock like the Euros would be nice. :idea:
We could have an entire long thread just on just stuff like that.

There are several export-only features on the JK, that I can't figure out a rational reason why they aren't offered on domestic Wranglers. They are designed, manufactured, stocked, and have a place on the assembly in Toledo where they are installed. Not like offering them would be in some way illegal here in the US. True, I am sure there are some who would not want one or another (like the 3rd headrest on the heated/reclining rear seat), but such could be bundled into some Interior Upgrade Package.

Personally, I would have liked the export-only ultrasonic intruder detection sensor for the alarm (the reason we all have those grills on the rear of the center console).

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Wha wha what? Intrusion alarm?

I'd be pumped if they add usb power ports and HVAC ports for the rear seats. Plus more power ports in the cargo area.

I miss the in bed storage bin my 13' had. My 17' has the floor sub woofer. We all carry stuff in our Jeeps (jumper cables, tools, etc.) all the time. That floor storage bin was perfect. Now I have to store them either under the seats or under the rear bench - which I have to move before folding down.

Sponsored

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Something to chat about while we wait for JKU15 to leak the JL.. or not...

I must say.. the rear end design of the JLU/JL, imo, is flawless. It’s not trying to be a TJ or JK and is distinctively JL.
I agree, after interior, the rear end is probably my favorite update to the car. I like the tail lights, I love that there's more visibility, I like the rear bumper, and I love the backup camera placement being centered.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I miss the in bed storage bin my 13' had. My 17' has the floor sub woofer. We all carry stuff in our Jeeps (jumper cables, tools, etc.) all the time. That floor storage bin was perfect. Now I have to store them either under the seats or under the rear bench - which I have to move before folding down.
When I was shopping for the JK I have now, I was actually looking at '15s and ended up buying the last '14 they had on the lot simply because I liked that storage area more than needing a better sound system. Jeep has really been creative lately with storage areas in all their other vehicles and I have a feeling they'll do the same with the JL.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Want to know if it'll have adjustable pedals, a sunglass cubby, and cupholders that can handle 2 normal coffee cups.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want to know if it'll have adjustable pedals, a sunglass cubby, and cupholders that can handle 2 normal coffee cups.
To Fiat, a normal coffee cup size would be a demitasse cup.
Sponsored