Sponsored

Desert Running (sort of) in a 392, what parts?

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I thought on the 392 we already have 2.0s though....is that correct? And do you recommend the hydro bumps?
Let me rephrase, Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir shocks is what I am referring to. Non-reservoir shocks are not tunable or serviceable by us. Remote reservoir also offers more oil, lower pressures, longer lasting performance. Factory shocks on the 392 I believe are 2.0, yes.

We installed Fox 2.5 DSC Shocks on a 392 that had a lot of weight on it. Stock vs Fox 2.5 was a big difference. More control, planted and smoother damping.

Air Bumps, in my opinion are overkill for most trail Jeeps. Great for harsh bottom out control, but with a properly tuned shock that wont be used as often. Another nice thing about DSC Adjusters, you can stiffen up the high and low speed compression for desert bashing. Of course, maybe you do hit the desert hard and do need them. Would be a great upgrade after you have run new shocks for a while. Easy to add later unless your budget allows for it now.

I ran our JL with Fox 2.5 DSC Coilovers around in the desert and trails for a day, never aired down and hardly ever bottomed out crazy hard. Sure I could have pushed it harder like my personal Jeep, but then you are border line thrashing a nice Jeep.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Let me rephrase, Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir shocks is what I am referring to. Non-reservoir shocks are not tunable or serviceable by us. Remote reservoir also offers more oil, lower pressures, longer lasting performance. Factory shocks on the 392 I believe are 2.0, yes.

We installed Fox 2.5 DSC Shocks on a 392 that had a lot of weight on it. Stock vs Fox 2.5 was a big difference. More control, planted and smoother damping.

Air Bumps, in my opinion are overkill for most trail Jeeps. Great for harsh bottom out control, but with a properly tuned shock that wont be used as often. Another nice thing about DSC Adjusters, you can stiffen up the high and low speed compression for desert bashing. Of course, maybe you do hit the desert hard and do need them. Would be a great upgrade after you have run new shocks for a while. Easy to add later unless your budget allows for it now.

I ran our JL with Fox 2.5 DSC Coilovers around in the desert and trails for a day, never aired down and hardly ever bottomed out crazy hard. Sure I could have pushed it harder like my personal Jeep, but then you are border line thrashing a nice Jeep.
Define a 392 that had a lot of weight on it.... 392 is pretty heavy stock already over a non-392. I am still on the fence on 2.0 rr vs 2.5 but don't want to sacrifice on road quality, which I believe you do with the 2.5. But maybe if the 392 weights enough that's not the case? I only go to Moab a few times a year but when I do, I do it hard (6-7 days, 2-3 trails a day, fast speeds when I can, etc).

I know it's all subjective, just looking to give up the least amount of on road quality and still be able to smash stuff in Moab a few times a year without issue. Still sounds like 2.0's are the right choice. My 392 in final form will have the metal cloak arms/springs, AEV bumpers front/rear, winch, 37's (39's for Moab runs) and skids. Stock axles, for now.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I’ve only got a couple hundred miles on mine, but I’m pretty pleased with my 2.0s. With the Metalcloak lift I personally wouldn’t want to go to a larger (stiffer) shock. I get I can run them on a soft setting but you’re still moving a larger piston. I’ll be taking my 392 to Windrock in ~3 weeks for Valentine’s Day with the GF. 8 hours on the interstate each way, 2 days of wheeling and 8 hours back. I’ll be able to give a much better ride report then.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve only got a couple hundred miles on mine, but I’m pretty pleased with my 2.0s. With the Metalcloak lift I personally wouldn’t want to go to a larger (stiffer) shock. I get I can run them on a soft setting but you’re still moving a larger piston. I’ll be taking my 392 to Windrock in ~3 weeks for Valentine’s Day with the GF. 8 hours on the interstate each way, 2 days of wheeling and 8 hours back. I’ll be able to give a much better ride report then.
Awesome!

Can you tell me eye to eye shock length at ride height?

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Awesome!

Can you tell me eye to eye shock length at ride height?
I can Thursday when I get back from my hunting trip. Just responded in the other thread. Short answer, the 4.5-6” front Fox 2.0s and rear 3-4” 2.0s are perfect. 2 bumps up front, 2 rear currently but may remove a rear one.

But I can PM you some measurements Thursday night when I get back if you still need them.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can Thursday when I get back from my hunting trip. Just responded in the other thread. Short answer, the 4.5-6” front Fox 2.0s and rear 3-4” 2.0s are perfect. 2 bumps up front, 2 rear currently but may remove a rear one.

But I can PM you some measurements Thursday night when I get back if you still need them.
Thanks :) I still will. Not many folks running this setup out there yet. Sounds like that front will be better anyway, as I'll likely end up on 39's at some point.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Also any idea how much lift you gained?

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
No problem, I’ll PM them to you Thursday night when I get home. Mine took about a month from ordering, but Fox is running behind on production, like everything else. For the $ if you absolutely need shocks for Moab run the Rocksports and keep them as a backup set if you ever want to get your 2.0s re-valved or sent in for maintenance.

No idea on lift height, I didn’t measure before and after. Just tossed it on. But it’s definitely 2-2.5” taller now. 39s will fit with some pinch seam trimming in the rear and maybe an extra bump up front and rear. That’s the nice thing about the MC lift though, bumps are super easy to add/remove.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problem, I’ll PM them to you Thursday night when I get home. Mine took about a month from ordering, but Fox is running behind on production, like everything else. For the $ if you absolutely need shocks for Moab run the Rocksports and keep them as a backup set if you ever want to get your 2.0s re-valved or sent in for maintenance.

No idea on lift height, I didn’t measure before and after. Just tossed it on. But it’s definitely 2-2.5” taller now. 39s will fit with some pinch seam trimming in the rear and maybe an extra bump up front and rear. That’s the nice thing about the MC lift though, bumps are super easy to add/remove.
Thank you.

Yeah good to know. I will probably fender chop if I run 39's.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
I must have gotten them “just right”. They are compliant and work exceptionally well. No harshness or hard hits on the little stuff.

Good luck with your 2.5s. They are amazing also.

Sam

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I must have gotten them “just right”. They are compliant and work exceptionally well. No harshness or hard hits on the little stuff.

Sam
It's possible they just ride differently on Wrangler vs Gladiator, too. My friend has a 392 with the 3.0's that I'll be driving later this week as well back-to-back down that same road. Different lift/spring combo, but nonetheless...should help.

Just curious, how much shock shaft do you have showing eye to eye on yours? I mean on my Gladiator it's setup properly where it's evenly spaced travel at ride height both up and down. And I mean, off road you can hit ANYTHING at speed and it doesn't phase it, or that's what it felt like.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sam
What lift are you running?

SteveSRT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali, 2021 392 Rubicon
Fox 3.0s. Work amazing.
E92DB021-CBDD-4614-B02F-E3D87759C4A5.jpeg
973A849A-34E9-411F-A56C-D39169EB4783.jpeg

Sam
Which springs are you using? I have some of these 3.0's from my diesel jl that never even got mounted because fox sent one of the fronts without oil and gas one time, the second time the reservoir was upside down and now I think one of the hoses is swapped wrong. But I still would like to try them if you like yours

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
I am running stock springs. 2.5 inch spacers. Nothing fancy. I have gone down the "lift" road many times. Wanted to stay simple this time. It drives great and all the steering geometry is on point.

Sam

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
Air down your tires! No special shocks needed to run desert roads unless you are going super fast and jumping and shit. I live in the Mojave/Sonoran desert and wheel desert roads all the time! I sure won’t spend a bunch on tuned shocks until the current ones need replacement. I always air down (15-17 psi) on any dirt roads when wheelin
Sponsored