Sponsored

Depreciation on loaded '18 JLUR - sale/trade-in experiences

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Don’t worry about it. I’m 11 years in on my 2008 and I can get 75% what I paid for it. Just watch. Your used Jeep at what you paid will be a frikkin’ bargain vs. new ones in 5 years.

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
I have a loaded JLUR stickered for 54k on the nose, was out te door with everything but taxes at 47400. Top private party, which I've gotten a few times, but not in the first year, is 45900. A loss of 1500. Top trade in is 41900, 5500 lower. Not that bad for a year later. That price works out to a first year depreciation of 11.6%. I'm good with that since I didn't buy the lifetime warranty to sell it anyway. JMHO, too many people yelling fire way too early. A lot of vehicles are all over the map in the first year of ownership. I had a silverado in 15 that dropped almost 15k in the first 6 months when one of chevy's truck month 20% or 11k off sales hit. It was back up a few months later. The only people who should be worried about this now are the ones who have already decided they're selling theirs because they have to or because they can afford the loss and want to, with less than a year in.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I used this as a tool... when negotiating trade values, the dealer wanted to give me a low ball price based on a value in their system. They showed me the estimate website as we plugged in the vehicle info. I asked them to put the 2018 JL I was negotiating to buy with the same options/miles into the site. I wanted to see "their" value of that vehicle the moment I drove it off the lot... funny stuff.

So you're saying the moment I drive the vehicle off the lot it is worth what? leverage... hehe

Sponsored

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
In 2018, I bought and sold a 2018 JLUR and 2018 JULS. The rubicon was a manual and the sport was an automatic. Obviously, I didn't own each one for more than a few months.

JLUR
I had a TON more interest with the Rubicon. I was able to sell it within a couple of weeks and I didn't take a hit. Typical upgrades: wheels, tires, etc.

JLUS
I was a bit shocked with the lack of interest in the Sport. Being an automatic, lower price point, etc the market should be significantly larger. Typical upgrades as well: wheels, tires, minor lift, etc. I went nearly 2 months with no real interest. I ended up trading it in for something. Dealerships were all over the map regarding the trade in value. In Texas, the benefit of trading something in, is not paying sales tax on the trade in value. I took a larger hit than I wanted.

I've bought and sold a ton of cars/trucks. I do have sellers remorse with the Rubicon :involve:....so the cycle starts again. ;)

lonz

First Name
Lonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order Jeep Wrangler JL
I purchased my 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon last February (2018), just before the March 1st price increase. MSRP was $46,855. Out the door price, including doc fee, was exactly $40,775 (we pay taxes separately at the DMV here in Missouri). This was Employee Pricing, minus $1000 from the dealer holdback. I then immediately sold the hard top for $2000, and then also received the $500 bonus drive rebate, which drove down my overall cost to $38,275.

According to Kelly Blue Book, private party resale in "very good" condition is showing around $41k for my Rubicon.

Bottom line, it all depends on what you initially pay for your Jeep. Another thing for me, I always stay away from options that do not hold up on resale, and I never trade in. I've never had any problems selling my Wranglers via private party. They practically sell themselves!

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
Maybe you paid too much?

I think you hit it in terms of paying too much for you JLU. If you paid $56K MSRP, your going to be way behind right out of the gate on resale. My JLU had MSRP of $55K and bought it at a high volume dealer and paid $46K for it, brand new off the lot with 8 miles on it.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Just want to chime in here with advice on this whole scenario of trade-in's, resale value, etc. When I bought my Wrangler, I, in no way thought about a resale value, or getting rid of it. I bought it because that is what I wanted, not 'i wonder how much it will be if i wanted to sell it next year'. I see TJ's that are still worth 15 with pretty good mod's and overall good appearance/engine. it is a good purchase as far as a residual value if comparing all vehicles out there; actually probably the best one. Try doing this on a BMW (I did on a 60k 535 and I lost about 15 on the first few months I had it). Remember it is only a car, not an investment. As soon as you get it in, its already lost value. It's supply and demand. If Jeep wasn't making anymore rubicons, then I am sure that you would get close to your 50. Unfortunately, it might be one of the best sellings auto's of the past year, which hurts all of us that are looking for a value of what ours is worth.

We see your scenario because you are adding in the 3rd party, which is the dealer. They are made/built to make as much money and if you are in dire straights, you will end up doing what they say because you want the newest/greatest wrangler they have. If you had a 50k Rubicon paid off right now, you will definitely get more selling out-right than a dealer telling you its worth. Take a look at having credit. If you have plenty of money, then your credit score is worthless because you will never use it. So at that point, who cares if you credit score is 400. Know what I mean?

One of the stories that really caught my eye on here was a guy who bought a Sport S last May, and now is trading it in for a Rubicon. Can you imagine the hit this guy is going to take from all angles? (Down payment, then another down payment, then residual hit). Deep down I am thinking "oh no!, just keep what you have man and enjoy it'. I bought a sport S and from the outside, looks just like a rubi (not taking it off road), but without the rubi price. To each their on on that point I guess. It just seems like someone who didnt do their homework, OR, someone who loves to go deep trailing.

Anyway, sorry to take up everyone's time with my novel but just wanted to give my 2 cents on this. Hope it adds value to this topic.

P.S. I paid 37 for mine and its worth 33 according to KBB with 6k miles on trade in. (actually worth 37,500 selling to private party).

Last edited:

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Lease RV has has been steadily dropping. This is a good indication of what resale will be.

And, JLU is selling in record #s that include fleet sales as mentioned ... can’t be good for resale.

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
The problem with dealers giving heavy discounts on Wranglers like they are on the JL (look around and everyone is claiming 10-12% off sticker), is that it drives resale of the entire model line way, way down. Can't sell a used vehicle too close to what a new one is being sold for. It's going to take a couple of years for the real resale to shake itself out but first year depreciation is always the worst.
This is it exactly. 100%. If you’re not getting around 7% under invoice (hopefully much better on a Rubicon or Sahara) when you purchase your new Wrangler, then all of the erosion of resale value comes straight out of your pocket, since you didn’t save enough when you bought it brand new.

On a Wrangler you have got to shop around like never before, and 7.5%-8% under invoice is achievable.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
You know, I have been in car sales for almost 20 years. Been with Porsche over 10, I know what I'm talking about. It's almost comical to read some of the comments here... I have learned over the years, most people (not all) exaggerate the discount they received and inflate what they got on trade value. If any of you are claiming to have sold your several-year-old Jeep for more than you paid (without a ton of mods), I encourage you to post your purchase order on here. Show us...I bet you cant. I'm going to use an arbitrary example here... If a client comes in and tells me they paid $40k out the door for their trade in, and now KBB shows $37k and that's what they want. When we look at the details of the purchase order, funny things occur... MSRP on the trade may be $37k. The dealer may add several thousand dollar wheels, tires, bumpers, winch etc. and they list it for $50k. The buyer comes along and buys it for $43k and says they got $7,000 off,,, (not really 7k off as in the add-ons have additional margine)Then they perhaps put $8k down to lower the payments (somehow, they always forget they put money down or had a paid off trade in) so they were out the door for $40k. Not to mention, every client that comes in expects "excellent" value for their car based on KBB. Even KBB says "only 3% of cars" qualify for "excellent". Clients come in with over mileage, smoked in, dented, abused, 3 accident carfax reports asking for excellent trade in. When the dealer can't possibly pay that, people then go on the forums to talk about how "Stealerships" didn't treat them right or whatever. It's seriously amazing. Please be real with us. I am an honest sales guy and that's why I have been successful for years and a high-end dealer.

Trade values will vary greatly from dealer to dealer. It really depends on the salesperson and the manager on what they will offer, or if they will be fair or try to take advantage. Prices vary by region also, many, many factors. There is also a BIG difference in trade in versus private party.

My point here is, comparing trade values from different regions, with different models, with obviously different dealers, isn't comparable and fairly useless. Everyone situation is different and unfortunately, the forums are not the place where you will receive honest answers about money and deals.

Edit: Not sure if this writing comes across arrogant or hateful, it is not my intention one bit. It was more of educational writing stating the numbers people post generally arent accurate.

Last edited:

gofastguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2019 WK Trailhawk 2015 Mustang GT

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
You know, I have been in car sales for almost 20 years. Been with Porsche over 10, I know what I'm talking about. It's almost comical to read some of the comments here... I have learned over the years, most people (not all) exaggerate the discount they received and inflate what they got on trade value. If any of you are claiming to have sold your several-year-old Jeep for more than you paid (without a ton of mods), I encourage you to post your purchase order on here. Show us...I bet you cant. I'm going to use an arbitrary example here... If a client comes in and tells me they paid $40k out the door for their trade in, and now KBB shows $37k and that's what they want. When we look at the details of the purchase order, funny things occur... MSRP on the trade may be $37k. The dealer may add several thousand dollar wheels, tires, bumpers, winch etc. and they list it for $50k. The buyer comes along and buys it for $43k and says they got $7,000 off,,, (not really 7k off as in the add-ons have additional margine)Then they perhaps put $8k down to lower the payments (somehow, they always forget they put money down or had a paid off trade in) so they were out the door for $40k. Not to mention, every client that comes in expects "excellent" value for their car based on KBB. Even KBB says "only 3% of cars" qualify for "excellent". Clients come in with over mileage, smoked in, dented, abused, 3 accident carfax reports asking for excellent trade in. When the dealer can't possibly pay that, people then go on the forums to talk about how "Stealerships" didn't treat them right or whatever. It's seriously amazing. Please be real with us. I am an honest sales guy and that's why I have been successful for years and a high-end dealer.

Trade values will vary greatly from dealer to dealer. It really depends on the salesperson and the manager on what they will offer, or if they will be fair or try to take advantage. Prices vary by region also, many, many factors. There is also a BIG difference in trade in versus private party.

My point here is, comparing trade values from different regions, with different models, with obviously different dealers, isn't comparable and fairly useless. Everyone situation is different and unfortunately, the forums are not the place where you will receive honest answers about money and deals.

Edit: Not sure if this writing comes across arrogant or hateful, it is not my intention one bit. It was more of educational writing stating the numbers people post generally arent accurate.
Very insightful. So, you're currently with Porsche? I've heard that when purchasing a 911 the base stripper models hold their resale value the best since the options don't hold value very well. As in you can easily put 30K worth of options on a base 110K Carrera, but at the time of resale what you spent on those options will have mostly evaporated. I'm wondering if the same holds true here where someone with a stripped JLU they picked up for 28K MSRP can resell a year later within a few grand of what they paid vs someone who put 25K in options on that 28K vehicle?

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
When I traded my 2017 Sahara (paid $40,000 for it, a little over $43K MSRP), I got 29,900 in trade against a 2019 Rubi at invoice (something like $3500 discount). My Sahara had 30,000 mile on it. I've traded a lot of vehicles over the years after 1 to 2 years and low mileage and this was as good as I could expect. I probably could have driven it 2 more years and not have lost but half that much more. I believe my loaded Rubi will depreciate significantly more than they have in the past but $37K is an insult

BTW, I just put my options on a 2018Rubi in NADA and a clean trade was $49,599. I purchased the sky roof in my 2019 and there is no "extra" money for it on trade-in, which I expected. Few of the options are ever listed and when they are they are not worth more then 50%. On my Sahara, I had the $1000 upgrade wheels, the positraction and the color matching roof. None added value to the trade. Stripped vehicles always hold their value better
Sponsored