Sponsored

Depreciation on loaded '18 JLUR - sale/trade-in experiences

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I've never lost more than $2,000 on a Wrangler. And it doesn't matter what trim, condition, or transmission. People say a manual has less resale value. Nope. People say leaving shitty mods installed that may make a buyer think it's been abused knocks it down. Nope. People say high mileage affects it. Nope. As long as you don't pay MSRP and don't let a dealer or buyer dick you around when it comes time to let it go, you'll almost get every dollar back on it (outside of modifications).
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
How can you even make it your own in one year? I used to sell my new vehicles when the first oil change came due (who wants to sit around waiting for an oil change when you can buy a new one just as quickly?). But with my Wranglers I have modded them and kept them because they are uniquely mine. Even when buying a new Wrangler.
I have owned six Wranglers, from mild to wild. I get bored easy. I really need to stop buying $hit. I’m going on my 50th vehicle in the last 15 years, and that doesn’t include my motorcycle purchases.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have owned six Wranglers, from mild to wild. I get bored easy. I really need to stop buying $hit. I’m going on my 50th vehicle in the last 15 years, and that doesn’t include my motorcycle purchases.
I think there is still a 12 step program for that. I used to be a member. :angel: Also getting divorced helped cure me (didn't have any money left).

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think there is still a 12 step program for that. I used to be a member. :angel: Also getting divorced helped cure me (didn't have any money left).
I probably need more than 12 steps or a blunt force trauma to the head! Lol

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
National average wholesale on that 12 is 17 to 20k

If you really want to know what something is worth, call the bank and see what they will loan on it. It takes all the emotion of the values of mods and sentiment out of the equation. Unless someone has cash on hand to buy your Jeep, it’s only worth what the bank will loan on it.
I have never seen a bank or dealer use KBB for anything. NADA was what everyone used to appraise trades and loan values before the super auctions like Manheim came along, now all of the dealers seem to use wholesale auction price to value your trade.

Sponsored

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I’m not sure how some of you have stories about only losing a few grand or in some cases selling for more than originally purchased. Taking my 17 JK for instance, how could I buy it new under invoice, drive it around all year, and sell it used for more than I bought it? The Wrangler isn’t a rare, hard to obtain, or limited production vehicle.

Another factor is options. A completely stripped 28K Sport will hold more original value than a fully optioned 55K Sahara.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
For me, kbb is quoting my JLUR at a dealer trade value of about $1500 less than what I paid and private party value as about $1500 MORE than I paid. YMMV

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me, kbb is quoting my JLUR at a dealer trade value of about $1500 less than what I paid and private party value as about $1500 MORE than I paid. YMMV
What I’m finding is KBB is nowhere close. My local dealer offered me 8k less than I paid for it six months ago.

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
What I’m finding is KBB is nowhere close. My local dealer offered me 8k less than I paid for it six months ago.
KBB is quoting the private party value of my 18 JLU as 8K less than I bought it for last month. Sounds about right.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Interesting... How good was your deal when you bought it? When comparing price of your cost vs your offer, are you comparing apples to apples? Meaning, are you comparing their offer to your pre-tax/title/license price?

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting... How good was your deal when you bought it? When comparing price of your cost vs your offer, are you comparing apples to apples? Meaning, are you comparing their offer to your pre-tax/title/license price?
I’ll be transparent about everything since I probably won’t end up selling my Wrangler anyway. I paid for my JLR right at 35k, not including taxes. This beat what Koons and a lot of east coast dealerships are offering. It now has 2,200 miles and I was offered 27k.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I’ll be transparent about everything since I probably won’t end up selling my Wrangler anyway. I paid for my JLR right at 35k, not including taxes. This beat what Koons and a lot of east coast dealerships are offering. It now has 2,200 miles and I was offered 27k.
I wonder if the 2 door vs 4 door demand has anything to do with it.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if the 2 door vs 4 door demand has anything to do with it.
Possibly. I probably have the rarest of them all: JLR 3.6 six speed manual soft top. Ultimately, the wrangler is no longer going to hold its value like the past with FCAs current practices.

Last edited:

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Possibly. I probably have the rarest of them all: JLR 3.6 six speed manual soft top. Ultimately, the wrangler is no longer going to hold his value like the past with FCAs current practices.
You mentioned what the dealer was offering above. How does that compare with what kbb quotes as your trade in value?

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
It now has 2,200 miles and I was offered 27k.
27k cash or “on trade”?

Assume you mean “cash offer” as “Trade in” values have so much slop that the figures are practically meaningless.
Sponsored