Sponsored

Denver to Ouray via Pearl Pass. Good Idea? How long to plan?

tomd

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' JL
Coming from Wisconsin, picking up passenger at Denver International: destination Ouray/Alpine Loop, etc.

Would taking Pearl Pass from Aspen to Crested Butte, then continuing on to Ouray be a wise (bonus fun trail) choice?

JLUR, August trip

Is the complete route (Denver to Ouray via Pearl) a 12 hour journey? More? Assume I leave DIA at noon.
Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Here is one person's comment from trip advisor....
This is an iconic Colorado four wheel drive trail. Twenty one miles from Crested Butte over 12,705 ft Pearl Pass, descending to just south of Aspen. Not for inexperienced Jeepers, but if you have good equipment with low range gearing available and another Jeeper to go along it's a bucket list trip. Combine this with Taylor Pass & Italian Creek for a clasic Jeeping loop. Plan to camp at least on e night on the trail if you do the Loop.
Hope that helps. You might see if YouTube has any videos from those that have driven it.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

If you have not driven the stretch of 70 over the pass and through Grand Junction it is worth staying on the Interstate for. Mostly 2 lanes on each side and said to be one, if not the most amazing scenery of any interstate. Just the road itself is pretty neat as they cut it into the mountain along the river. Your alternative route is 285 which is nice or stay on 25 for a bit and cross over at 50 near Pueblo. You may want to pick one for heading out there and a different route for heading back.

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I ran the Pearl Pass/Taylor Pass combo last year, you should be fine in a JLUR. I recommend you order the Charles Wells book linked below, it will clear up a lot of your questions and double as a trail map when out of cell service. From DIA, take I-70 to HWY-285 to avoid the usual I-70 mess. I would plan on staying overnight in Crested Butte, Gunnison, or primitive camping somewhere around there before continuing on to Ouray. I don't think you'll make it from DIA to Ouray in one day if you plan on doing trails too.

I would also keep an eye on HWY-50 periodic closures that could alter your timelines and routes. You would encounter this between Crested Butte and Ouray. Use this for more info: https://maps.cotrip.org/home

Easy reference for HWY-50 closure schedule:
https://www.us50info.com/impacts

Buy this book:
https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Colorado-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/1934838268

P.S. One of the alternate routes to avoid HWY-50 closures is taking County Road 149 from Blue Mesa Reservoir to Lake City. Then you pick which trail or pass to drive from Lake City into Ouray.

Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Any suggestions for route Denver to Ouray to avoid Interstate?
We got off interstate at Frisco and took 9 through Breckenridge then down 285 to Poncha Springs. Just South of there is access to Marshall Pass...easy off-road trail that brings you out at Sargents on 50... Or at Poncha Springs head west on 50 then take that over to Montrose then 550 to Ouray.
Sponsored