Defroster temperature - Full Hot or Full Cold. No in between

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
So today was the first time I had an occasion to use my defroster. Driving rain, around 70 degrees humid. The front windshield started to fog as did the passenger windows. So I turn the AC to defrost and set the temp to 75. A few moments later the heat came on and the window cleared. But it was very warm now in the Jeep. So I turned the temp setting down a degree at a time until it got to like 68, then the air was ice cold and the windows started foging again. So I turned the temp up again a degree at a time. But I could not get any “in between” temp. It was either full hot, or full cold.

Does this sound familiar? Is it a common thing?
Sponsored

Gogged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So today was the first time I had an occasion to use my defroster. Driving rain, around 70 degrees humid. The front windshield started to fog as did the passenger windows. So I turn the AC to defrost and set the temp to 75. A few moments later the heat came on and the window cleared. But it was very warm now in the Jeep. So I turned the temp setting down a degree at a time until it got to like 68, then the air was ice cold and the windows started foging again. So I turned the temp up again a degree at a time. But I could not get any “in between” temp. It was either full hot, or full cold.

Does this sound familiar? Is it a common thing?
@Jondrew I just discovered this with mine too. When on full defrost, its all hot. Turning the temp down does nothing unless you turn it on front/floorboard selection at which point it finds the selected temp. If you turn back to defrost after that it is ok. I’m going to take mine to dealer.

OP
OP
Jondrew

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
@Jondrew I just discovered this with mine too. When on full defrost, its all hot. Turning the temp down does nothing unless you turn it on front/floorboard selection at which point it finds the selected temp. If you turn back to defrost after that it is ok. I’m going to take mine to dealer.
I’ll give that a try. Thanks

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Yes, this has been posted before.. it’s crazy how it does it.. there is no middle ground, it’s either super hot even on the lowest setting of 1 or it’s cold.. so stupid.. I just use the auto function and it seems to work..

RDT300

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Mine does the same if just using defrost. If I put it on auto it’s fine. But it seems to me that the temperature control really doesn’t work. Like the first post says. If I have just defrost on and set at 75 if will blow really hot like 90 plus. So I start decreasing it one degree at time to the point at 70 and below the air is blowing cold. There seems to be no in between. 75 blows like its 90+ and 70 blows like its 60-

Sponsored

USMCBK1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
i'm glad i'm not the only that noticed this, the defroster gets way to hot, then if you lower it one degree its like the ac kicks on????@JeepCares

cmarchel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubi
Has anyone taken their jeep in to the dealer? What did they say? I have the same problem. I can be driving for an hour on auto on 72, if I switch it to defrost, it gets so hot in my jeep I can't stand it. Plus it only blows in the center. nothing to the outside. Horrible horrible design

Steevr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 F-150 Platinum
Noticed the same thing for he firs time his weekend. Had the front defrost button on and it was max hot air. Kept turning the temp down and the temp of the air didn’t change. I put the temp all the way down to 65 and still was blowing max hot.

I also found if you hit the mode and do the blend between windshield and floor, the temp adjusts to what you have it set at.

Then the same night I couldn’t understand why the corners of the windshield were fogged, even with the defroster on. As someone else mentioned, air only comes out of the very center section of the the vent the spans the entire length of the windshield.

Poor design from both standpoints.

Hugh

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler unlimited sport 2019
Has anyone taken their jeep in to the dealer? What did they say? I have the same problem. I can be driving for an hour on auto on 72, if I switch it to defrost, it gets so hot in my jeep I can't stand it. Plus it only blows in the center. nothing to the outside. Horrible horrible design
Sounds like you have the jeep with the clogged block there's a clasaction law suit I heard on this matter take it to the dealer

Sponsored

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler
CHRYSLER DONT WANT TO FIX THIS PROBLEM IM OPENING A LEMON LAW CASE CAN NOT DRIVE MY JEEP WITH DEFROSTER ON EVEN SET ON 60 DEGREES SO HOT YOU CANT STAND IT CHRYSLER NEEDS TO FIX THIS PROBLEM INSTEAD OF SAY ITS OK 50K FOR A VEHICLE AND YOU CAN'T USE THE DEFROST COME ON

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler
Noticed the same thing for he firs time his weekend. Had the front defrost button on and it was max hot air. Kept turning the temp down and the temp of the air didn’t change. I put the temp all the way down to 65 and still was blowing max hot.

I also found if you hit the mode and do the blend between windshield and floor, the temp adjusts to what you have it set at.

Then the same night I couldn’t understand why the corners of the windshield were fogged, even with the defroster on. As someone else mentioned, air only comes out of the very center section of the the vent the spans the entire length of the windshield.

Poor design from both standpoints.
YES AND IF YOU CHECK NO AIR COMES OUT ON SIDES ONLY IN THE MIDDLE BUNCH OF CRAP HAD MINE IN SHOP 5 TIMES OR MORE STILL NOT FIXED FILING A LEMON LAW CASE ON THIS

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep wrangler
DEALER WON'T KNOW HOW TO FIX MINE HAS BEEN THERE 5 TIMES STILL NOT FIXED LEMON LAW HERE I COME
Sponsored