Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It's summer and all but I'm wondering if there's a better option for redistributing the airflow from the defroster vents than those little square plastic tabs that fit in the individual holes. I use them, they work, but they do pop out, sit unevenly, look kinda homemade. Is there a more permanent and factory-looking piece yet?
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
nothing that i know of. but then again i deal with my factory vents. i dont find it all that bad.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
It's summer and all but I'm wondering if there's a better option for redistributing the airflow from the defroster vents than those little square plastic tabs that fit in the individual holes. I use them, they work, but they do pop out, sit unevenly, look kinda homemade. Is there a more permanent and factory-looking piece yet?
@Nomad

I have the plug(s) you mention.
Actually, I was one of the first few guys, to use them and reported same here.

I found that if I had a plug that moved around or tried to escape, that a wrap or two of vinyl electrical tape around the base of them and then pushing them back in cured for good, any movement problem..

My plugs have been in place for... geeez, for over a year and a half now.. Also, my plugs have settled in / are flush and really are not noticeable... and they do help lots..

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Last year after purchasing a new to me 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL .......I was reading all the posts about the defroster ...one guy posted up that he had purchased this socket holder/organizer and the squares that sit on it can slide off or arranged. Amazingly they also fit into the holes in the defroster if you part them and lay down the channel that holds them (which is anodized aluminum) they will fill where you like them to. and when the season is over just take it away and save it till next year. I bought one and used it..it helped ..some air gets by it but it accomplishes spreading the flow of air. I wish I remembered who the OP was who posted but I don't. He was pretty ingenious to think of it and I followed suit as it seemed like a good alternative. They come in all colors to match any Jeep scheme.
https://olsatools.com/products/3-pcs-kit-socket-organizers?variant=8537987711027
the link I provided is for a set but if you drop their menu to tool organizers you can purchase just the one.
Jeep Wrangler JL Defroster solutions? IMG_3769.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nomad

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
What is the issue with the defroster?
The issue is that for many the hot air all comes out the center and isn’t distributed to the sides enough to de-ice the corners in a snowstorm.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I tried the socket holders and it didn't fit well and distribute the air as well as the plugs. Mine stay in fine with a couple that may get a little crooked but I'd bet 99% of people wouldn't even notice them. I think they work and look fine. Made a 5 week trip to the mountains in late winter and kept the windshield clear.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Last year after purchasing a new to me 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL .......I was reading all the posts about the defroster ...one guy posted up that he had purchased this socket holder/organizer and the squares that sit on it can slide off or arranged. Amazingly they also fit into the holes in the defroster if you part them and lay down the channel that holds them (which is anodized aluminum) they will fill where you like them to. and when the season is over just take it away and save it till next year. I bought one and used it..it helped ..some air gets by it but it accomplishes spreading the flow of air. I wish I remembered who the OP was who posted but I don't. He was pretty ingenious to think of it and I followed suit as it seemed like a good alternative. They come in all colors to match any Jeep scheme.
https://olsatools.com/products/3-pcs-kit-socket-organizers?variant=8537987711027
the link I provided is for a set but if you drop their menu to tool organizers you can purchase just the one.
Jeep Wrangler JL Defroster solutions? IMG_3769.JPG
interesting idea.. who would of ever brainstormed that idea.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I tried the socket holders and it didn't fit well and distribute the air as well as the plugs.
as i mentioned, that it was a interesting idea. but i cant see that it would work as well. i think it more of a bothersome to look at.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Not permanent or factory looking but have worked fine forcing warm defrost where we want. We just cut some heavy duty velcro squares and stuck them down over certain vents to better distribute the air flow. Inexpensive, easy to do, adjustable, and unobtrusive. We used the hook side. Think we took some pics in the winter for another thread. Really has been a stick and forget until you brought this up.

Sponsored

shoebabe3

First Name
Shoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ & 2020 JLUR
I haven't had a winter yet in my 20 JLUR yet but I've heard about this issue. I was thinking about 3D printing something to help distrubute the air once I see what is happening.

OP
OP
Nomad

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had a winter yet in my 20 JLUR yet but I've heard about this issue. I was thinking about 3D printing something to help distrubute the air once I see what is happening.
That’s what I was hoping. If you make something functional and clean looking you may have some buyers, like me for instance.

shoebabe3

First Name
Shoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ & 2020 JLUR
Is there enough air near the end of the defrost panel to redirect the air out to the sides or is limiting the air in the middle the way to go?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Can someone with a 3D printer design and make an insert that fits properly??

shoebabe3

First Name
Shoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ & 2020 JLUR
I'm going to try, I just haven't experienced the problem yet so I don't know how to fix it. What is exactly happening?
Sponsored