DEF system removal.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
The 7.3L gasser (Godzilla) in my '22 F-350 makes 430hp/475lbft. I think they even bumped up the numbers on the newest ones.
Old school style pushrod engine, naturally aspirated, port fuel injection. They have a rock solid bottom end, and can be made to make serious power.
I'd love to stick a crate 7.3 in an old truck... car... something!
You know... to be different ?

But I digress.
Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
The 1970 Chevelle with the 454ci V8 was a pretty rare vehicle with an enormous engine for the day. Wouldn't the correct comparison be to a similar vehicle today? Perhaps 2023 Challenger SRT Hellcat?

1970 Chevelle 454ci V8, 450 HP, 13.7s at 139 MPH
2023 Challenger SRT Hellcat 378ci V8, 807 HP, 11.8 at 125 MPH
Im not trying to compare anything... please see my comment to @Valpo Jeep

SargeDiesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Took nothing from it. Yeah I am with you about the 60/70s muscle car era and todays high power cars are not muscle cars or HOT RODS. See I go even further back for the HOT ROD reference. 30s 40s, and some of the 50s are HOT RODS.

Todays cars I am not sure what to call them. My Audi makes 310 HP which is great numbers and can be tuned to 430 HP very easily. But its not a HOT ROD or a MUSCLE car even though it will probably take the Chevelle to Gaplebees at the track.

So how in the eff did we go from DEF deletes to old school muscle. Big effing squirrel ran though this thread.
Your exactly right.... Some people instead of genuinely trying to help, they are more out to prove you wrong and themselves right and then it goes on and on and on... I have to learn not to participate... lol

My apologies OP @variableknife for ? in your thread. I'm sorry.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
What muscle cars back in the day made more power than today's muscle cars?

Note, of course, that manufacturers started using SAE net horsepower ratings instead of gross in '72. They were all overstated by about 30% prior to that change.
A 1970 Boss 302 Mustang could do a quarter mile in 14.6 seconds. A Honda Odyssey (moms taxi) can do it in in 15.1. Thus proves my point. Yank the emissions off moms taxi, throw a carb on it and leaded gas, it will be at a 14.7 because nothing answers for cubic inches.

- - old man living in the revisionist past

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Also, I'm going to the Classic 24 at Daytona and working on an old racecar that was a rocketship back in the day. I think that the timing and scoring must be off because many street cars can do those lap times today. I wish we went back to old school stop watches and written down timing. These transponder things are not the way to go. Same for GPS.

-- Old school racecar guy who hates new tech

Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Stick a fork in this one.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The 7.3L gasser (Godzilla) in my '22 F-350 makes 430hp/475lbft. I think they even bumped up the numbers on the newest ones.
Old school style pushrod engine, naturally aspirated, port fuel injection. They have a rock solid bottom end, and can be made to make serious power.
I'd love to stick a crate 7.3 in an old truck... car... something!
You know... to be different ?

But I digress.
Just so you know, when I win powerball tomorrow, I will then buy a front engine Ferrari and an F350 Crew Cab Dually. Do an engine swap between the two.Powerstroke Ferrari and a Ferrari Ford Crew Cab Dually. Why would I do this? I won the lottery and be the ultimate troll.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Just so you know, when I win powerball tomorrow, I will then buy a front engine Ferrari and an F350 Crew Cab Dually. Do an engine swap between the two.Powerstroke Ferrari and a Ferrari Ford Crew Cab Dually. Why would I do this? I won the lottery and be the ultimate troll.
Ha! Love it! ?

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
As long as you do hood stacks on the Ferrari, I would be game.

The DEF delete I don't get. People that complain on the cost, I think I have bought 3 full tanks since I have bought the Jeep, in 15 months. That's less than $100 of cost. This is normal driving and about 1k miles a month.

Now a tune for EGR mapping (like GDE) or better combustion which results in a cleaner engine and side effect of better MPG's, sign me up.

RicRecon

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0
EPA this, EPA that .... EPA can hold my nuts.

Just because alphabet boys say it's illegal, does not make it such. Administrative agencies and bureaucracies do not have the power to create law on their own. Do not cower to nor live in fear of said fools.

As with all things, use your judgement. I digress. :)

[This is not political discussion. Just giving life advice.]
You just keep believing this

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

A 1970 Boss 302 Mustang could do a quarter mile in 14.6 seconds. A Honda Odyssey (moms taxi) can do it in in 15.1. Thus proves my point. Yank the emissions off moms taxi, throw a carb on it and leaded gas, it will be at a 14.7 because nothing answers for cubic inches.

- - old man living in the revisionist past
I'm completely clueless on how that somehow made your point that muscle cars back in the day made more power than today's muscle cars.

Reactions: GtX

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Holy cow a lot of Jeep owners are scientists!
Appreciate the compliment guy.

Though I doubt many of us are actually scientists, the fact of the matter is the information is readily available out there, you just need to look for it.

I mean when you spend $50,000 on a vehicle, you better make sure you done your research beforehand!

Probably helps too that a lot of us are gearheads and have our own facets of vehicles that we are quite well-rounded in.

Take me for instance, I don't know a whole lot about diesel engines, I know that general stuff, and I'm not in the least bit afraid to spend hours researching a topic I don't know anything about. What I am good at is drilling holes in my Wrangler. At this moment I have 32 holes that didn't come from the factory. I also do all my maintenance myself, and all of my mods myself. Most of which are DIY, completely from scratch meaning I'm not buying a kit in most cases.

I do happen to like sciences, in fact one of my favorite things is reading through scientific journals and other articles on the internet about various topics I enjoy.

We got a lot of guys here who are seriously knowledgeable in other facets of jeeping.

Though honestly I think a lot of it is just been there, done that. If you've gone through something, your knowledgeable on it through your experiences. If you ran into a problem, or something you were looking into, and you did a whole bunch of research on it before you made a choice about something involving your Wrangler, then it would only make sense that you would have the knowledge of certain points. And if those points get brought up in the future, well then you know exactly what to say. It's actually one of the benefits of this website, you have a lot of really well-rounded people who know what the hell they're talking about.

On the flip side I've been known to go into threads and just make sarcastic remarks all day and not help anybody. ?‍♂ ;)

Last edited:

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
So how in the eff did we go from DEF deletes to old school muscle. Big effing squirrel ran though this thread.
One sub group here is so terrified of their own shadow they will try whatever they can to derail these innocent discussions about tunes and weight reduction.

The hotrod folks of the past shared a common mindset with the tuners of today. You do it for the passion and seeing what you can really get out of the ride, and also personalization. A good tune does not blow smoke, that’s for show. Some people are a little too into being told what to do and how to live, sad state of affairs. Our forefathers would be disappointed.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

One sub group here is so terrified of their own shadow they will try whatever they can to derail these innocent discussions about tunes and weight reduction.

The hotrod folks of the past shared a common mindset with the tuners of today. You do it for the passion and seeing what you can really get out of the ride, and also personalization. A good tune does not blow smoke, that’s for show. Some people are a little too into being told what to do and how to live, sad state of affairs. Our forefathers would be disappointed.
I'm fairly sure that I derailed it to debunk completely idiotic claims that some people seem to be convinced are accurate. I'm pretty sure, however, that I'm not terrified of my own shadow in regards to what's being discussed.

Hell, even my wife keeps talking about deleting all of the emissions crap from mine. I've had to explain to her that CO requires diesels to pass inspection when they hit the three year mark...just when the warranty expires and we'd want to consider doing something like this.
Sponsored