imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So i have just over 5500 miles on the JLUR/D and my check engine light came on. low on DEF. I filled at the same spot we (My company and I) fill all of our fleet vehicles up at with DEF at the pump. The needle never moved. Hmmm? Well, figured the gauge was stuck, so took the jeep on some pretty bumpy roads. nothing! oh well, let it sit overnight and see what happens. BAM! Full DEF the next morning. So no harm no foul right? Wrong! About 2 miles into my trip to work the light comes back on and this time says incompatible DEF (or something like that). Are you kidding me!!!!? so I call the dealer and take it in.

They told me my DEF pump is out and non functional. that I cannot drive the Jeep or it will go into limp mode.

So now what? I know, why not replace the pump I ask? He said that they ordered the pump but it is on a 2 month back order!!!!!! :angry:

I am now in a loaner RENEGADE!:mad::mad::mad: FOR 2 MONTHS!!!!!

I am not one to think that this is a beginning of a laundry list of issue i am going to have with this truck, but I am frustrated!

The service manager is trying to get me into a Ram now as the renegade will not even haul my Kayak or fishing gear, let alone my kids!
Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Sad part....this is how FCA operates. NO backup parts for those who have failures. Look at all the posts on here where people are being told that parts are 2 months away. Crappy way to treat the customers that try and support them by buying their vehicles.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we are the beta testers for FCA. They don't test parts/vehicles long enough to see failures, so they pump out new product as fast as they can. We do the testing for them and the vehicles spend way too much time in the shop having them replace the sub-par equipment.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It’s just-a-Jeep-thang™
Unfortunately this is an EcoDiesel thang. Better get used to it... EcoDiesels never make it too far away from the shop.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I had a DEF pump die at 69k miles on our 2015 GC. Good thing I bought an extended warranty cuz it was a $3k repair. Also, if it does take 2 months to fix you can always lemon law it after 30 days.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Unfortunately this is an EcoDiesel thang. Better get used to it... EcoDiesels never make it too far away from the shop.
Except when they do...most of the time. I’m no fan of the issues with diesel emissions equipment across the market, but absolute statements rarely reflect reality in an accurate manner. Either way, deleting the unnecessary parts with higher than typical failure rates is the answer many will choose.

OP
OP
imjester77

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
****Update****

Customer care for Chrysler told me 2 weeks ago that the DEF pump was on backorder until mid November. I just about lost it! she told me that they are doing everything that they can to keep the issue escalated and push for a closer date. I got another email yesterday from her saying it will be the Middle of October and maybe sooner as the assembly plant is now in full production and the parts plants in Europe are manufacturing again. we will see. I Really Really DO NOT WANT to file under lemon law even though i know I can. I love my Jeep. Ive already put money and allot of time into building it. Just to start over.

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
It’s just-a-Jeep-thang™
LMAO good one but no its not a jeep thing. Def systems are a pain delete and you get longer engine life better mpg more power more money since you ain't buying def less problems. Well at least on all the trucks i know. Also the emissions gets better numbers on the dmv tests. Con: you get more diesel soot. I actually didn't believe you get better emission numbers because it made no sense but you actually do since your engine is not running more efficient with all those filter and extra plumbing.

OP
OP
imjester77

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any update?
yes, it turned out it was a bunch of crap! Loose fuses! Can you believe that! After looking at some posts on this forum me and the service manager went and checked and sure enough, 1/2 if not more of my fuses were not seated. Long story short, I have my Jeep back, and Chrysler refunded me a months payment!

Sponsored

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
yes, it turned out it was a bunch of crap! Loose fuses! Can you believe that! After looking at some posts on this forum me and the service manager went and checked and sure enough, 1/2 if not more of my fuses were not seated. Long story short, I have my Jeep back, and Chrysler refunded me a months payment!
Glad you are back up and running. Your situation speaks volumes about the dealer's ability to troubleshoot a problem.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I would love to publicly humiliate the hapless buffoon on the line in Toledo who has been failing to seat fuses on so many rigs. The amount of time and energy wasted by folks like yourself and entire service departments over such a simple and preventable issue is worth more than that moron’s entire annual salary. The same goes for the folks who haphazardly QC the rigs before they head to transport. Seating fuses is a task which is perfectly suited to robot work too. I bet Ford manages to get 100% of their Broncos out the door with the fuses fully seated...FCA’s QC really sets the bar high. I’m more grateful every day that mine was among the first few down the line 12/2019 that was pulled aside for 45 miles of extended QC testing because it seems that worked wonders for reliability so far.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
It is stories like these that should make every single employee at FCA and every single dealer absolutely furious and utterly embarrassed. Sadly, FCA doesn’t seem embarrassed at all. Loose fuses have been a thing for 4 years. “Continuous improvement” at FCA is just met with a yawn and a desire for another donut.

OP
OP
imjester77

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the short response last night, here is the whole story but it is a little long:

@ 4500 miles I was at a half a tank of Def and figured I would fill it back up since it was DEF at the pump. filled it up and the needle never budged. drove it around for an hour or 2 and it would rise and fall but still always settled at a half tank of DEF. called dealer and scheduled it in for the next morning. Start it up in the morning and the level is at 100%! GREAT!!! start to head to work and BAM! Incompatible DEF, DEF Pump Failure, Check Engine. Crap. head to the dealer and drop it off. end of the day they call me and say its the pump with no ETA on the parts. It could be upwards of 2 1/2 months.

So now I'm out my Jeep for 2 months. The dealer gives me a loaner, and someone here suggested calling the WAVE program. So I did. My rep was very, Very nice and assured me they will do what they can to make this right. she expedited the part, but still 2 months out. She apologized but with COVID everything was messed up with delivery and manufacturing.

I never spoke to the dealer again! Jeep Wave called them every week to check on my jeep, and called and sent me an email every Friday with updates. She said she would help me get a new Jeep if i wanted (I declined), but the dealer on the other hand! WOW! I had a voicemail a week with them wanting me to turn in the Jeep under the Lemon law! I Still never directly talked to the dealer at this point.

A month goes by and someone on another thread mentioned fuses. BS! No way could that even remotely cause my issue. Besides I thought i checked that at delivery. But, none the less, that day I went to the dealer and opened the hood and checked. All the fuses were seated.

Next day i had to go back to the dealer to retrieve my watch from the Jeep. I talked to the Service manager and he and I walked out to the Jeep together. I told him the deal and he wanted to check the fuse box himself. So sure, have at it, He pushed over half my fuses down until they clicked. Crap I feel stupid! My snug is not Chrysler tight apparently. we started the jeep but the code was still there. we walked over to a couple other Wranglers and sure enough, ALL of them had unseated fuses.

I went home. They called me to pick the Jeep up later stating that the tech just needed to clear the trouble code. I have put 1200 miles on it so far trouble free!

My rep at the WAVE program closed my case and also reimbursed my months payment for the Jeep being down.

The Dealer Has opened a Dealer complaint with Chrysler about the issue, and has changed the pre-inspection of all new wranglers to include checking the fuses.