DEF IND Recall, Y81

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
is there a write-up somewhere from J**p/ChryCo that describes exactly what problem this is supposed to solve?

this is the most explicit i’ve seen so far, but it’s from Canada, not J**p/ChryCo;

“Certain vehicles equipped with a 3.0L diesel engine have a software calibration that may impact the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) system functionality and inducement. This may also result in vehicle emissions exceeding prescribed standards.”
The last sentence tells me that the DEF may not be injecting enough fluid to reduce NOX. I wouldn't be surprised if usage goes up after the reflash.

I don't see how this would affect fuel mileage though as DEF is injected into the exhaust and not the engine. If you are going into regen a lot then you would definitely be using more DEF as the engine is adding more fuel to get the filter hot.
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
agreed.

frankly, i think it’s still to soon for anyone to know yet is Y81 is going to have any effect on fuel or DEF usage.
reports on other forums seem to be mostly speculation.

i guess we’ll see! 🙃

The last sentence tells me that the DEF may not be injecting enough fluid to reduce NOX. I wouldn't be surprised if usage goes up after the reflash.

I don't see how this would affect fuel mileage though as DEF is injected into the exhaust and not the engine. If you are going into regen a lot then you would definitely be using more DEF as the engine is adding more fuel to get the filter hot.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
What is the concern about more DEF usage? The time to refill, or money? Refilling is a snap, and DEF costs next to nothing. ??????

Reactions: GtX

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
What is the concern about more DEF usage? The time to refill, or money? Refilling is a snap, and DEF costs next to nothing. ??????
You're being too logical.
DEF usage... AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
My thinking is that if larger displacement diesel trucks consume less DEF than these do, there might be something off. Maybe it’s just the fact that Jeeps don’t have as much room for the emissions equipment. It was a surprise though for me to go from 2.5gal per 10k miles, to 2.5gal per 2.5k miles.

Am I worried? Not at this point. Would I be happy I’d DEF consumption decreased? Yep

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
My thinking is that if larger displacement diesel trucks consume less DEF than these do, there might be something off. Maybe it’s just the fact that Jeeps don’t have as much room for the emissions equipment. It was a surprise though for me to go from 2.5gal per 10k miles, to 2.5gal per 2.5k miles.
Huh? Less room for emissions equipment? What does that have to do with DEF consumption? DEF usage is supposed to be 2-3% of your diesel usage and I’m sure the system tucked under a Jeep meets the emissions requirements. My 3.0 uses DEF at a rate of @ 2.7% and my 2015 3500 used 2.5%.

Where did it ever state 2.5gal of DEF would last 10k miles? Jeep originally “suggested” 1 tank of DEF (5+ gal) would last 10k miles. We all know this to be BS.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh I’m sorry, didn’t realize our Jeeps were as big as a full sized pickup. Tell you what, put in here what my point should be and I’ll edit my above post. Is it ok for me to have anticipated less DEF consumption? Wtf…

26 confirmed

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon eco diesel
Took my jeep in this morning to have the recall done, after about 20 minutes they said they couldn’t do it because the y-gate was down.
I might just wait a while and see how everybody else does with this update. Before I take another day off from work to go get this done.

Sponsored

BUSHRVN

First Name
MONTE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRANGLER JLU SAHARA HIGH ALTITUDE 3.0
Got mine done last week. I drove it 500km in one day and I can’t say I can tell the difference either positive or negative.

LT1Chevy210

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Ecodiesel, 2023 JL 2.0L, 2019 Duramax
Friendly reminder to pull your TAZER before you go in for this. I forgot and had to go back to pull it so they could complete the flash.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like DEF consumption is about the same after the Y81 recall.
Right after it was done ~3/4 tank:
Jeep Wrangler JL DEF IND Recall, Y81 1650677263129

Now 1100 miles later, ~1/2 tank:
Jeep Wrangler JL DEF IND Recall, Y81 1650677294388

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
but the DEF gauges are notorious for being inaccurate; to the point that that's what some people thought the fix might be for, until we saw the text about "increased emissions" on the notice.

mine used so little DEF before the Y81 it's going to take ages/many thousands of miles to know if usage has changed any.

Looks like DEF consumption is about the same after the Y81 recall.
Right after it was done ~3/4 tank:

Now 1100 miles later, ~1/2 tank:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can’t vouch for gauge accuracy but when it hits 1/2 in the gauge I put in a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF.
Sponsored