DEF/Exhaust Protection

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Is anyone finding the DEF Tank and Exhaust getting in the way? Are you adding any protection over stock? Outside of a full belly Skid by Metalcloak (A bit overkill for where I am right now, I am not seeing too many DEF tank/Exhaust skids out there.

It really seems like it's vulnerable.
Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Is anyone finding the DEF Tank and Exhaust getting in the way? Are you adding any protection over stock? Outside of a full belly Skid by Metalcloak (A bit overkill for where I am right now, I am not seeing too many DEF tank/Exhaust skids out there.

It really seems like it's vulnerable.
I honestly wouldn't do anything less than full skid! If you protect your def but damage your transmission or engine then the result is really the same! It all needs to be fully protected, my only concern is the weight of a full skid plate system.. If Metalcloak only made theirs out of aluminum.. That would be super sweet!!!

OP
OP
JeepVT

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I honestly wouldn't do anything less than full skid! If you protect your def but damage your transmission or engine then the result is really the same! It all needs to be fully protected, my only concern is the weight of a full skid plate system.. If Metalcloak only made theirs out of aluminum.. That would be super sweet!!!
Right that added weight is not attractive on an already heavy rig. I agree if only it was aluminum.

I probably don’t need full belly where I normally wheel in VT but that DEF (like the muffler on the gas version) can get knocked on the back side of things.
I am going to get the kit from rock hard after the first of the year.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...minum-bellypan-skid-plate-w-dual-crossmembers

metal cloak does not make a diesel skid.
that’s nice. A bit pricier then steel but I bet half the weight. MC does make one now

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I have pretty much covered everything under the jeep. I have full Metalcloak underarmor, Rock Hard LAC skids, FAD covers, front and rear diff skids.
I have been on several trails and have hit the skids pretty hard as well as the rock sliders. Because I have so much protection nothing is damaged. One important thing to consider is when you go over an obstacle and the rear tires drop off, the DEF tank is extremely vulnerable to damage. This is why I opted for the MC covers.
Jeep Wrangler JL DEF/Exhaust Protection 20200926_115045

OP
OP
JeepVT

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I have pretty much covered everything under the jeep. I have full Metalcloak underarmor, Rock Hard LAC skids, FAD covers, front and rear diff skids.
I have been on several trails and have hit the skids pretty hard as well as the rock sliders. Because I have so much protection nothing is damaged. One important thing to consider is when you go over an obstacle and the rear tires drop off, the DEF tank is extremely vulnerable to damage. This is why I opted for the MC covers.
Jeep Wrangler JL DEF/Exhaust Protection 20200926_115045
Any idea how much the diesel MC skids weigh?

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any idea how much the diesel MC skids weigh?
I am not sure how much the skid weighs. I can easily lift the cover so I am guessing around 40 pounds or so. To me the weight isn't as much of an issue as making sure the tank is protected. The skid has several scratches from sliding over rocks. The stock cover looked way to fragile for me. Remember, the MC skids go on top of the factory plates. Double protection if you will. My primary concern was to protect the underbelly of the jeep first. Next comes the lift and 37 inch tires.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Right that added weight is not attractive on an already heavy rig. I agree if only it was aluminum.

I probably don’t need full belly where I normally wheel in VT but that DEF (like the muffler on the gas version) can get knocked on the back side of things.

that’s nice. A bit pricier then steel but I bet half the weight. MC does make one now
Rockhard makes a steel system also, but its like a 100 lbs heavier. My jeep is already very heavy with all the steel bumpers.

OP
OP
JeepVT

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Rockhard makes a steel system also, but its like a 100 lbs heavier. My jeep is already very heavy with all the steel bumpers.
Yeah...I think I'll save up for the Aluminum if I actually feel I need full sliders. I wish I could just get the Aluminum Def Tank cover. I'd feel a lot better

Sponsored

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
I’m going with Aluminum full skid. Just haven’t narrowed down what company yet. Really want to go as light as possible, but honestly, this thing doesn’t care so much about weight.

It’s on 38’s and 3.5 lift front, 4.5 rear.

I’ve had mine EcoDiesel since March 14 of 2020 and it currently weighs in at 5400 lbs. I’ve taken it on 6 or 7 trails in Moab and Colorado, and it has more than 20k miles.

Jeep Wrangler JL DEF/Exhaust Protection 1609352169998

The Exhaust emissions crap clears most every thing, but yes, it is vulnerable to some smashing. For the most part I take it easy on the trails, but when I meet up with people out on the trail, I typically gain a little confidence and push the limits.

Jeep Wrangler JL DEF/Exhaust Protection 1609352280602

The only real trail damage I’ve gotten was on the Mountain of the Holy Cross trail. I meet some friendly Jeepers who welcomed me to tag along. At the time I had 2 issues working against me: 1st, I was really loaded down with gear, and 2nd, it still had the 3.5 inch lift springs in the rear, which sat 1/2 lower than the front. With this setup, the front, trans skid, got some light scraps on it, however, about where the T-case skid is and to the rear scraped on quite a bit. A misjudgment on my part almost killed the front driveshaft. And of course the rear bumper dragged over just about everything coming down off obstacles.

Jeep Wrangler JL DEF/Exhaust Protection 1609352440091

As Far as the DEF tank and stock skid. I was surprised at how little it got scraped. The stock skid seems pretty tough, and may be sufficient for a lot of wheeling.

Jeep Wrangler JL DEF/Exhaust Protection 1609353355879

In my opinion, I’d recommend full skids (either aluminum or steel) for anyone wanted to do a trail rates at a 7 or higher. 6 or higher to be on the conservative side. If this doesn’t sound like anything you’re going to be doing, you’re probably good without the full skids. There are a lot of trails with a lower difficulty rating that are still a blast to go on, and with some patients and a good spotter, even some tougher trails can be done without damaging critical components.

Last edited:

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have gone over some moderate obstacles and I have hit the DEF skids many times. Just about every time I came off a rock the rear would hit. On Carrizo mountain jeep trail you go over a 2 and a half foot high waterfall and coming back down you will hit. I can feel the scrapes on the metal. Just like the armor on the underbody, the kisses from rocks are there. Before I get any kind of lifts or bigger tires, protection for the jeeps underbelly was my first concern.

JLDIESEL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
My exhaust tip is high and tight and the def skid will prob be good enough for me. I need some belly protection.

892D51D0-9969-4A9E-B662-79DCD5AB4700.png

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My exhaust tip is high and tight and the def skid will prob be good enough for me. I need some belly protection.

Jeep Wrangler JL DEF/Exhaust Protection 892D51D0-9969-4A9E-B662-79DCD5AB4700
A word of caution. The DEF tank is behind the rear axle and wheels. When you go over a shelf the rear of the jeep will drop. Without a decent plate over the tank, you risk serious damage. I have impacted the skid plate to many times and the piece of mind that comes with the protection is, to me, priceless.
Sponsored