Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had an issue where the feet that touch the top rubbed off all of the paint on one side before I noticed and on the other 3 it's bad but not gone. That was hugely disappointing. Did you remove the feet?

I'll go check today, I had them all tightened so that they arent rattling. it might be putting pressure when the body flexes in the trails - I see why that might be a problem.
Will update here on what I find.
Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
anyone which accessories to mount Recovery Traction?
I fabricated my own from some 1.5” x 3’ steel flat bar from Lowe’s. I cut two sections a little over a foot long and then drilled out holes for the M8 square nuts and bolts to attach to the rack and then drilled out holes to attach the Maxtrax mounts. Some grinding and massaging of the corners to round them off and then three coats of flat black paint and viola!

It cost me about $35 in material if I remember correctly. I can get pics tomorrow if you’d like.

That said, I like the challenge of fabricating my own stuff like this so if you want to just buy a turn-key mounting system there are some decent (although pricey) options out there. What traction boards are you using?

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
I fabricated my own from some 1.5” x 3’ steel flat bar from Lowe’s. I cut two sections a little over a foot long and then drilled out holes for the M8 square nuts and bolts to attach to the rack and then drilled out holes to attach the Maxtrax mounts. Some grinding and massaging of the corners to round them off and then three coats of flat black paint and viola!

It cost me about $35 in material if I remember correctly. I can get pics tomorrow if you’d like.

That said, I like the challenge of fabricating my own stuff like this so if you want to just buy a turn-key mounting system there are some decent (although pricey) options out there. What traction boards are you using?
I'm using XBull Traction . Post some Pics please. Thanks!

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I'm using XBull Traction . Post some Pics please. Thanks!
I just looked these up and unless there’s something that I’m missing in their pictures, you should be able to do exactly what I did. They mount at different points on the boards so just take that into account and you’ll be good to go.

Sponsored

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
@Kripas here’s some general idea pictures. I don’t think I have any pics from when I was making them but if I find some I’ll add them as well. This is really, really easy to make though.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents 86209B52-70B4-4ACE-AD0B-60AD6C39E75C

So I drilled holes to allow the M8 bolts to drop through and attach to the rail. In hindsight, I would have made these elongated so that the measurement didn’t have to be so exact. Then it’s as simple as drilling holes at the end to attach mounts. In your case, the mounting holes would need to be inside the rail mounting points. If you have a drill press or have a friend who has one take advantage of that if possible to make this lightning fast.

Side view:
Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents 3FC46DCB-8239-4CCF-8E94-A216273C414B

What I love about this setup:
- easy to install and remove
- super low profile and clean
- cheap
- doesn’t really add a lot of wind noise
- very compact and easy to store when removed.
- very sturdy

What I’m not in love with:
- I might go back to an orientation with the traction boards lengthwise down the side of the Jeep. I have to go to both sides of the Jeep to remove them. I oriented them this way though so that I could mount two modified rifle cases for storage on either side of the rack. Haven’t made up my mind on this yet though.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
@Kripas here’s some general idea pictures. I don’t think I have any pics from when I was making them but if I find some I’ll add them as well. This is really, really easy to make though.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents 3FC46DCB-8239-4CCF-8E94-A216273C414B

So I drilled holes to allow the M8 bolts to drop through and attach to the rail. In hindsight, I would have made these elongated so that the measurement didn’t have to be so exact. Then it’s as simple as drilling holes at the end to attach mounts. In your case, the mounting holes would need to be inside the rail mounting points. If you have a drill press or have a friend who has one take advantage of that if possible to make this lightning fast.

Side view:

What I love about this setup:
- easy to install and remove
- super low profile and clean
- cheap
- doesn’t really add a lot of wind noise
- very compact and easy to store when removed.
- very sturdy

What I’m not in love with:
- I might go back to an orientation with the traction boards lengthwise down the side of the Jeep. I have to go to both sides of the Jeep to remove them. I oriented them this way though so that I could mount two modified rifle cases for store on either side of the rack. Haven’t made up my mind on this yet though.

Hope this help
Ohh WOW this is awesome. This is easy DIY . Thanks a lot

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
Pulling the trigger on a rack this summer, and wondering about long term updates. Has anybody broken one of these yet, or worse yet, broken their top or snapped the rain gutter?

These sound like they hold up quite well, especially if they’re hauling CVT tents around (the Mt. Hood is NOT a light tent).

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Pulling the trigger on a rack this summer, and wondering about long term updates. Has anybody broken one of these yet, or worse yet, broken their top or snapped the rain gutter?

These sound like they hold up quite well, especially if they’re hauling CVT tents around (the Mt. Hood is NOT a light tent).
I haul Smittybilt XL gen2.. thats a big ass tent at 180lbs and king size bed width.

Sponsored

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
I haul Smittybilt XL gen2.. thats a big ass tent at 180lbs and king size bed width.
Right? Your rig looks awesome by the way. The two extra cross bars really make the rack pop along with the extra support.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Right? Your rig looks awesome by the way. The two extra cross bars really make the rack pop along with the extra support.
Thank you! đź‘Ť
Yep it looks more complete and moreover the larger xl tents require 3 cross bars supporting it to avoid bowing

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
I just pulled the trigger on this for my 4xe too. The bestop roof rack will be going back. Hoping this will be a better fit.

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
Just got mine installed today. I like the look so far. Will be testing it out on a road trip tomorrow. I did hop on top for "testing". I weigh 170 so I was not expecting any issues.

Not sure why everyone is complaining about it sticking out. It barely sticks out about an inch from each side.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_1268
Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_1269
Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_1270
Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_1271(1)
Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_1274

Firecracker JL

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I shortened mine by removing the caps and cut a bit off from the side to have it be the same width as the top, then put the caps back. Helps with not getting it snagged on trees or large rocks when off roading.
Sponsored