Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents

Bulldown

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD All Terrain
The more I look at this rack the more I think it could be a viable option for my use. Has anyone mounted an awning to this rack?

I've been looking at the JCR rack and their awning brackets.
Haven’t done that, but having keyhole slot in cross bars would lend itself to that option.
Sponsored

dna44

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity Ninja
Haven’t done that, but having keyhole slot in cross bars would lend itself to that option.
That's what I was thinking, but I like how the JCR brackets keep the awning lower and almost mounts it next to the rack rather than above it being mounted on a crossbar.

Are you aware of any mounting options for these crossbars that would keep the awning lower? I'd like to have the rack and awning on and still be able to fit in my garage but that may be wishful thinking.

Bulldown

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I was thinking, but I like how the JCR brackets keep the awning lower and almost mounts it next to the rack rather than above it being mounted on a crossbar.

Are you aware of any mounting options for these crossbars that would keep the awning lower? I'd like to have the rack and awning on and still be able to fit in my garage but that may be wishful thinking.
Not specifically, bot the keyhole slot is on top and bottom. Might be able mount the lower side if the crossbars favored(extended) more on awning side. Or just grab a small piece of aluminum c channel and create your own mount and bolt to keyhole slot

dirtygertie_jlu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Following up on this thread since I’m back to reconsidering this rack. Biggest thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the reported wind noise. For those who have this installed, how noticeable is it? Any videos of the noise while driving on highway? Thanks for all the help!

Sponsored

Bulldown

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Following up on this thread since I’m back to reconsidering this rack. Biggest thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the reported wind noise. For those who have this installed, how noticeable is it? Any videos of the noise while driving on highway? Thanks for all the help!
Rack wind noise with RTT seemed reasonable to me. Haven’t driven much with just the rack. When I take off the RTT, I leave the deezee attached to the tent.

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I got lucky and bought the rack at a discounted price on eBay. It's very solid and I'm extremely happy with it. Wind noise without anything on the rack is crazy loud, very strange and will take some getting used to.

Noise with a tent on top however, is fairly quiet surprisingly.

Best part, super low profile, no drilling and easy to remove.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_3127

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_3137

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_3154 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_3188

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents IMG_3127

Last edited:

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
So the latest version of the rack comes with a mini air dam which is basically angle iron. Rack is silent. Probably order it from dee zee after the fact. Here are a few picks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents E1A67559-4138-406A-BD41-38588FC0C78F

Jeep Wrangler JL Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents E1A67559-4138-406A-BD41-38588FC0C78F

what does the mini air dam do? like a wind deflector or noise reduce

Sponsored

Hardybreed

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
what does the mini air dam do? like a wind deflector or noise reduce
Yeah it just breaks the wind, like wrapping a bungee cord around it. Surprisingly quiet, and strong as hell. You can grab a rail and shake the entire Jeep without a worry.

Last edited:

F800

First Name
'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I don't see the air dam available for sale on their website. I may have to give them a call about it. I'll do the bungee thing for the time being.

jeepnewbie

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Wrangler Sport S, 08' Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
GE Aviation
Vehicle Showcase
So the latest version of the rack comes with a mini air dam which is basically angle iron. Rack is silent. Probably order it from dee zee after the fact. Here are a few picks.

Nice! Did you order directly from Deezee?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I've also considered the Exposed roof racks. Same principle of spreading the load out using feet, though I like how the Dee Zee ones have them all the way out on the edge, where the strength would presumably be the highest. I don't know how much extra wind noise you'll get will all the feet on the exposed racks. My Mopar racks whistle between 60-70mph right now, so I drive everywhere at either 55 or 80mph. I've covered some of the gaps on one and it seems to have helped, so I may take them off and do them both correctly.

But like I said, stuff on the roof is not a very high priority right now. Maybe in the summer if I want to put on an awning or jerry cans with the cargo box.
None. 0 wind noise with the exposed rack - dist. feet installed.

dna44

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity Ninja
I'm ordering the Dee Zee rack and will be using the ARB 813402 awning brackets to mount the awning. Once everything comes in and I get it all mounted I'll post pictures in this thread.
Sponsored