Dee Zee rack for Roof Top Tents

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
After doing some research I found a $1900 dollar solution that seems perfect for a RTT rack system that doesn’t drill into the roof / can be taken off.

The only issue is that now I have to also buy a RTT, I just couldn’t justify spending 2K on the rack system and possibly another 1-2K on the RTT as well.

I placed my order today for this system instead ($560 shipped) and will be installing my 270 awning + RTT when it comes in and will plan to share with you all. The wife and I are going on 10 day camping trip up the coast of CA through OR for spring break. Should be epic!!
Could not get the rack in time for my camping trip so ended up going with the $2,000.00 option anyways!

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Hello, this is my first post and wanted to thank everyone in this forum for my hours of reading and looking. After following this thread I decided to go with the Deezee as well, so I wanted to show what I did. I guess I should start by saying Deezee did not in anyway recommend or advise with this install method.

First off, I knew I most likely would not be installing the front portion of the rack. I was wondering how to utilize the extra parts for the back so this is what I ended up with. I "believe" I gave myself more strength and weight limits, but I don't plan on putting more weight than what is recommended on the rack from the original install platform anyway.

So from the picture, you can see I used all four rain gutter brackets on each side of the jeep for the back portion only. I initially tried to put three on with one evenly spaced in the middle but the arc of the roof and gutter high centered the middle bracket so either the front or rear would not seat completely. I chose to double up the ends with the brackets for more surface contact.

As for the cross bars, I evenly spaced all four with the leg supports. The leg support bolts provided are 1 1/4 in length, so on the two middle bars due to the arc, I used 1 inch bolts I got from the hardware store. If I choose to eventually get an RTT (iKamper Mini), I figured this will just give even more weight dispersion on more surface.

I am not an engineer or physics genius, but overall I really like the look of this versus a big rectangle. So far it seems to be extremely solid and I will keep this updated if anyone is interested. I would like to get your thoughts whether good or bad, and I will try my best to answer any questions. Again, Deezee does not recommend or supports this install method, just something I decided to try and make work.

Deezee.jpg
This looks good and similar to what I did except just used 3 bars on top and 6 gutter mounts, 3 on each side to spread the load. I have a CVT Mt. Hood 60" and it has withstood a 8 day Moab trip. Wind noise may be the only reason I take it down, it's not crazy loud but noticeable. Enjoy the setup!

becma27

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Had my rack for a couple months now, it's a nice solution. I'm interested in changing out the cross bars for a rhino rack pioneer platform occasionally for different mounting needs. Anyone know how hard it would be to mount the platform to the side deezee rails instead of the cross members? I'm thinking not too bad, but don't have a pioneer platform to look at.

Advertisement

Jim Marsh Chrysler Jeep

Advertisement