Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I'm thinking they all come with 4.56s. Mine (diesel) was an anomaly and came with 4.63s due to supply constraints.
I wasn't aware of 4.63s being an option. My understanding is that it jumps from 4.56 to 4.88 with nothing in between. Where did you get the 4.63 number?

Also, I've never seen anything but 3.73s coming from the factory in any diesel regardless of what package it's sold with. So I'm doubly confused.
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I wasn't aware of 4.63s being an option. My understanding is that it jumps from 4.56 to 4.88 with nothing in between. Where did you get the 4.63 number?

Also, I've never seen anything but 3.73s coming from the factory in any diesel regardless of what package it's sold with. So I'm doubly confused.
It's an AEV JL370 JLURD. Sorry, I should have made that more clear.

JL Diesel

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 JL Diesel Sport S
Whatā€™s the opinion on soot levels vs gas mileage? I donā€™t have a gauge to see mine but I know I havnt made any long highway trips recently so Iā€™m assuming I havnt had an regen and the mpgs are down a bit right now.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Where do you live? If youā€™re in the northern part of the country itā€™s possible that the diesel your using is now a winter blend which will give you worse mileage.
This, plus speed is not your friend. The aero drag on a Jeep will kill mpgā€™s at speed,

jonyothan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 2dr 2.0T, '10 BMW 335i
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Technician
Vehicle Showcase
although mine is not a diesel. i have a similar issue and i know the cause. for reference mines a jlr 2.0t, i got about 22-23mpg similar to other forum members when it was brand new.. with no mods after driving 5k im down to 17 mpg lol. you said and i quote;
"I admit though I do like to be one of the fastest on the road."
with the gearing of the jeep driving over 65 mph is gonna kill your fuel economy

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

although mine is not a diesel. i have a similar issue and i know the cause. for reference mines a jlr 2.0t, i got about 22-23mpg similar to other forum members when it was brand new.. with no mods after driving 5k im down to 17 mpg lol. you said and i quote;
with the gearing of the jeep driving over 65 mph is gonna kill your fuel economy
It's not primarily the gearing. It's the horrible math that gets applied to our aerodynamics as speed through a fluid increases.

jonyothan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's not primarily the gearing. It's the horrible math that gets applied to our aerodynamics as speed through a fluid increases.
yeah youre right and the big tires dont help either. but im going to get 35s anyways lol

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

yeah youre right and the big tires dont help either. but im going to get 35s anyways lol
It's primarily the weight of those tires. Fortunately diesels don't seem to be as impacted by that as much as other engines. Assuming, of course, that you have appropriate gearing and that you reprogram the computer / transmission to deal with those changes.

OP
OP
Feb14bgirl

Feb14bgirl

First Name
Norma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Diesel Rubicon JLU. 2022 GMC Sierra
It's primarily the weight of those tires. Fortunately diesels don't seem to be as impacted by that as much as other engines. Assuming, of course, that you have appropriate gearing and that you reprogram the computer / transmission to deal with those changes.
I just made it to Missouri from Houston. I made myself drive 65 the whole way or slower. I averaged 22mpg, ALL highway miles. 620 miles. I'll admit though that the temps dropped from leaving Houston at 73 degrees to arriving in Joplin at -6 degrees and around Dallas the wind was wicked. Still, disappointed with the mileage. On the plus side though, my Jeep diesel started right up this morning after sitting outside the -6* temps. My bro-in-law thinks that my diesel fuel around Dallas might have winter additives (?) that could hurt mileage???? I guess I need to stop figuring the mileage and just enjoy it. Merry Christmas everyone.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I just made it to Missouri from Houston. I made myself drive 65 the whole way or slower. I averaged 22mpg, ALL highway miles. 620 miles. I'll admit though that the temps dropped from leaving Houston at 73 degrees to arriving in Joplin at -6 degrees and around Dallas the wind was wicked. Still, disappointed with the mileage. On the plus side though, my Jeep diesel started right up this morning after sitting outside the -6* temps. My bro-in-law thinks that my diesel fuel around Dallas might have winter additives (?) that could hurt mileage???? I guess I need to stop figuring the mileage and just enjoy it. Merry Christmas everyone.
There's definitely a winter blend of gas. I'm not sure about diesel though.

Sponsored

jonyothan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing with diesel, actually more additives than gas to prevent fuel from gelling in the tank. i did a long drive in mine this weekend same thing kept below 65mph and was able to get 22mpg. but as soon as i started driving on the highway again it went back to 19ish lol

OP
OP
Feb14bgirl

Feb14bgirl

First Name
Norma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Diesel Rubicon JLU. 2022 GMC Sierra
Same thing with diesel, actually more additives than gas to prevent fuel from gelling in the tank. i did a long drive in mine this weekend same thing kept below 65mph and was able to get 22mpg. but as soon as i started driving on the highway again it went back to 19ish lol
Well, I've run out of ideas on why the mpg fluctuates so much. The last tank on the way back from Missouri I got 28 mpg. That's my best yet. All Highway but the temps got warmer the closer I got to home. Again, I calculate and try and top off each tank the same for each calculation so hard to believe there might be air bubbles, etc that would cause for such differences. Thank you everyone for your suggestions and letting me know I'm not the loan ranger out there.
Sponsored