RoxyBoxer

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
So itā€™s settled. The OP, whose name is Paula, should buy a rubicon because people with penises buy them. And she should buy the Rubicon outright, even though she has already said she canā€™t afford it. Iā€™ve noticed reading comprehension is not always in full effect on these boards.
šŸ˜‚ Not saying I canā€™t afford it, I just really didnā€™t want that big of a payment.

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
i was in the same boat. That said, my recommendation is not to get new. At the end of your lease, you can walk right? You can get a loaded 2019/2020 Sahara for around $44k (if not lower), low miles.

when I got my Sahara in December 2019, i was also looking at a 2018 Rubicon. Similar miles. Rubicon was priced 7500 more, didn't have LED, or leather. Didn't have the cold weather group or hard top. Both had the premium alpine sound. Leather, LED (won't buy another vehicle without LED lights again), cold weather group and premium sound were must haves. Found a 2018 Sahara list for $36,900. Ended up walking out of the dealership with a 31,900 price tag.

But as others have said, only 1 vehicle gets modified more than the Jeep Wrangler and that's a harley davidson.

a year and a half later, i'm adding new wheels and tires. I'm adding rubicon suspension if I ever find the spring numbers I want. I'll have a lifted jeep, bigger wheels and the look i was originally drawn to with the Rubicon.

Last edited:

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
I went with an 80th Anniversary, because I don't need lockers and I wanted a limited slip differential for snow (and I liked some of the trim better than the Sahara). But, I have the EcoDiesel, so I did get Dana 44s with 3.73 gears (and added Rubicon Takeoff suspension)... if I was going with a gas motor, I would have gone with the Rubicon to get the lower 4.10 gears. The Rubicon's red stitching grew on me, but the red dash would have been replaced with the red stitched leather dash from the Gladiator Launch Edition(?). There is no right or wrong answer... it's personal preference

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I went with an 80th Anniversary, because I don't need lockers and I wanted a limited slip differential for snow (and I liked some of the trim better than the Sahara). But, I have the EcoDiesel, so I did get Dana 44s with 3.73 gears (and added Rubicon Takeoff suspension)... if I was going with a gas motor, I would have gone with the Rubicon to get the lower 4.10 gears. The Rubicon's red stitching grew on me, but the red dash would have been replaced with the red stitched leather dash from the Gladiator Launch Edition(?). There is no right or wrong answer... it's personal preference
My understanding is the JLUR Recon also had the stitched leather dashboard covers.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Might as well chime in with my own process, as I've been going through this for the past ~6 months.

Context: I currently drive an '07 GMC Sierra 2WD. Never been offroading, etc. But I wanted something "fun" for my next vehicle, don't need the bed/towing, and had Wrangler rentals on a few trips and really loved it. It'll be my daily driver, but I'd like to be able to do some light offroading, maybe the easy/medium trails on a few parks, etc. So I knew "Wrangler" but then freaked a bit when I realized there's like, 37 different trims to try to pick between.

Some base research and knowing some things that are important to me pointed me at either the Sahara or Rubicon. I've clearly no need for a Rubicon - couldn't begin to tell you WTF "lockers" do or why you'd want to disconnect stuff. Was leaning towards Rubi just so that I'd have everything - if I wound up really, really loving offroading, then I'd already be a little ahead of the game, from a capabilities standpoint. Plus they look cool* and have great resale.

For *ME* personally, though, there are a lot of problems with the Rubicon:
  • That tacky red interior - I hate it. H.A.T.E. it. So I'd have to spend $$ to get rid of it. The cheapest option I've determined is to order with the tan leather interior ($1.7K) to get the grey dash/stitching, but then use Katskinz ($1.8K) to go back to black. Nearly $4K to get rid of something I didn't want in the first place.
  • The Rubicon is $$$ - Yes, I realize at "Base" the Rubi is more expensive than the Sahara, but also FOR ME it is because of options I'd have to add, etc. So this price difference grows even beyond the base.
  • This one's a bit of a mind-game, but FOR ME, the Rubicon would be dangerous - I'd be out on trails and thinking "It's a Rubicon, it can handle anything", throw caution to the wind, and do something crazy. Normally, that'd be the point of a Jeep, but as this is also going to be my daily driver, that would wind up bad. I don't mind wrenching on my own vehicle (again, I currently drive an '07 GMC...) but I can't really have my main vehicle be out of commission because I was being stupid. So, *knowing* that the Sahara is [slightly] less capable than the Rubicon actually works in my favor, keeping that air of caution in my mind. Again, I realize that's kind of idiotic and against the whole point of a Jeep, but that's why it's my reason and not yours, necessarily.
  • I've driven a somewhat-base-level truck for ~14 years. Yeah, it's got power windows/locks, but it's pretty basic. Having the extra $$ to load up the Sahara vs a more stock Rubicon is appealing to me. If I'm going to get a new vehicle, I might as well get some new toys/creature comforts out of it.

So for me, the Sahara is [slightly] cheaper, will require less work (and money) to be visually appealing, and leaves me more money for other stuff (like a lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, etc) while staying within my budget.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I would really love to get a Rubicon
I know for sure that I donā€™t want to pay that big monthly payment
It sounds to me like Paula wants a Rubicon but doesnā€™t want to pay for it.
my husband said I should just build one with exactly what I want and just lease to get a manageable payment.
Leases on vehicles are mostly social traps. Few people know how to work leasing in their favor to where it is advantageous and makes sense.

If youā€™re drawn to a vehicle lease only by the ā€œcheaperā€ or ā€œmore affordableā€ monthly payments and donā€™t really understand how leasing works, donā€™t do it.

chaynech1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Hi all! Opinions please....I am in the market for another Wrangler, as my lease is coming to an end. I would really love to get a Rubicon, because right off the lot Iā€™m happy how it looks with the factory wheels and so for me all I would really want to do is put bigger tires and maybe a 2.5ā€ lift and a few other things. Iā€™m not sure what it is about the Rubicon that I love so much, maybe it is just the rugged look it has right off the lot and I know if I got a Sahara I can get the same rugged look, Iā€™d just have to purchase and change more to get it that way. There are things on the Sahara that I prefer over the Rubicon, like the leather dash as I donā€™t care for the plastic red or grey dash. And I probably wonā€™t ever use the sway bar disconnects either. So my question is this....is it a waste to get the Rubicon since Iā€™m not an off roader? And I know nobody says that you have to off-road to get a Rubicon either. Do they drive/handle differently then a Sahara because of their suspension? I mean Iā€™ve even had a sales person say that unless you do off roading, the Rubicon is not necessary. Iā€™d like to try some lite off roading but nothing that I couldnā€™t do with a Sahara. I just figured I would have to do/purchase less if I got the Rubicon. On the other hand I was also told from a fellow Jeeper to get a Rubicon wether I off road or not because it has a better resale value. I know itā€™s ultimately my choice but Iā€™m definitely gonna have to lease whatever I get because I know for sure that I donā€™t want to pay that big monthly payment. Actually for awhile I was searching for a 2019 or 2020 in the Ocean Blue Metallic because Iā€™m obsessed with that color but I couldnā€™t find one with all the options I want so my husband said I should just build one with exactly what I want and just lease to get a manageable payment. Sahara or Rubicon? Decisions decisions!! (Which I hate doing BTW!)
We had a Sahara JK for about 7 years and loved it. Was almost going to get an altitude JL Sahara, but the look of the Rubicon sold me. Even if you don't use the lockers etc, the upgraded hood, slight lift, better bigger tires, overall look is so much better. I don't know what it is but I liked the look of the Sahara better on the JK and now it's the other way around for the JL. I think as the JL had a rounder, softer look, the edgy bits from the Rubicon look better. Absolutely in love with our Rubi.

OP
OP
RoxyBoxer

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
i was in the same boat. That said, my recommendation is not to get new. At the end of your lease, you can walk right? You can get a loaded 2019/2020 Sahara for around $44k (if not lower), low miles.

when I got my Sahara in December 2019, i was also looking at a 2018 Rubicon. Similar miles. Rubicon was priced 7500 more, didn't have LED, or leather. Didn't have the cold weather group or hard top. Both had the premium alpine sound. Leather, LED (won't buy another vehicle without LED lights again), cold weather group and premium sound were must haves. Found a 2018 Sahara list for $36,900. Ended up walking out of the dealership with a 31,900 price tag.

But as others have said, only 1 vehicle gets modified more than the Jeep Wrangler and that's a harley davidson.

a year and a half later, i'm adding new wheels and tires. I'm adding rubicon suspension if I ever find the spring numbers I want. I'll have a lifted jeep, bigger wheels and the look i was originally drawn to with the Rubicon.
Yeah I can walk but itā€™s worth more then I owe, so Iā€™ll trade regardless what I do. I was looking for used but right now they are so over priced!

Sponsored

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
Yeah I can walk but itā€™s worth more then I owe, so Iā€™ll trade regardless what I do. I was looking for used but right now they are so over priced!
Yeah, I get it. used prices are definitely up there. I still would trade in on the trim that has the options you want. make a list. If you want the same options as I had in my sahara, you aren't getting that rubicon for less than $57/58k vs 48k for a Sahara.

all comes down to you. No one can really say what is right or wrong.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Even if you talk yourself into a Sahara you will always have Rubicon envy. I think you already know what you need to do stay happy with your choice.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I posted this back in March when basically the same question was asked.

" I have owned a few Sahara Jeeps in the past both 2 door and 4 door. with a few mods they were able to take me anywhere I wanted or needed to go. The also were very reliable and had great resale value. This time around I got a Rubicon and there will be no going back. Do I really need everything that it came with "NOPE" but I sure like having them. Did not give a damn about difference in price, waste more money on that difference every year on beer."

In my humble opinion just make a decision and have no regrets.

Both are capable and no matter where you go both on and off the road you will see Sahara and Rubicon Jeeps there, and by the way you will also see every other model there as well because they are all made to get the job done with a little help from driving skills.

I have never met a Jeep I didn't like

Down South

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I've been following this thread but have yet to comment.

I say, get what you want the most. I've been down this road a number of times in life. Most everytime I bought something less than what I really wanted, it seems that I always regretted not getting what I really wanted in the first place.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
šŸ˜‚ Not saying I canā€™t afford it, I just really didnā€™t want that big of a payment.
Do you really want a Rubicon? Will you feel as if you are losing out on something if you get a Sahara?

Sometimes people buy things they don't need or don't want because they feel they have to get the best one.

Will you regret your purchase every month when it is time to make the payment?

Years ago I had to choose between a Samsung Tablet and an Ipad. All the hot people had Iphones and Ipads. The not so hot people had Samsung. Did I really need an Ipad? Not really, but I so wanted to be one of the hot people.

Just think things through. Is the Rubicon worth the additional monthly payment or is it just because you want to be one of the hot people?

If you decide you really need the Rubicon, go for it. Every month, go outside and take a look at it before you make the payment.

If you don't need it, smile every month when you have extra cash to do other stuff.

BTW... Most nights, I lie in bed and watch a movie on my Samsung tablet. It helps me to relax so I can fall asleep.
Sponsored