Sponsored

Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Is it a "waste" to get a rubi if you don't off-road? Technically, yea. It's objectively a waste to pay for something you won't really use. But subjectively, if you like the styling and that's what you want to be seen in, it could be "worth" it for you in the end.
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thank you. I am very happy with it.

Looks like I have to replace the batteries in it, though.
Common problem, don't let that spoil your love for your Sahara.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Haha love this thread. So ready to order my 2022 and going through every and all options. EcoDiesel or 4Xe? Rubicon or Sahara? Will I have 35" tire options and maybe other add-ons not seen before? Exciting times! Right now I am leaning towards the rubicon since my wife has a Sahara Altitude with 3.6/etorque. If I got the exact same thing, it just wouldn't make sense. Now if only 4Hi Auto can come to the diesel.

If so, I am going with a Rubicon, EcoDeisel and hopefully factory 35" tires/factory lift... Oh and come on uConnect 5!!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all! Opinions please....I am in the market for another Wrangler, as my lease is coming to an end. I would really love to get a Rubicon, because right off the lot I’m happy how it looks with the factory wheels and so for me all I would really want to do is put bigger tires and maybe a 2.5” lift and a few other things. I’m not sure what it is about the Rubicon that I love so much, maybe it is just the rugged look it has right off the lot and I know if I got a Sahara I can get the same rugged look, I’d just have to purchase and change more to get it that way. There are things on the Sahara that I prefer over the Rubicon, like the leather dash as I don’t care for the plastic red or grey dash. And I probably won’t ever use the sway bar disconnects either. So my question is this....is it a waste to get the Rubicon since I’m not an off roader? And I know nobody says that you have to off-road to get a Rubicon either. Do they drive/handle differently then a Sahara because of their suspension? I mean I’ve even had a sales person say that unless you do off roading, the Rubicon is not necessary. I’d like to try some lite off roading but nothing that I couldn’t do with a Sahara. I just figured I would have to do/purchase less if I got the Rubicon. On the other hand I was also told from a fellow Jeeper to get a Rubicon wether I off road or not because it has a better resale value. I know it’s ultimately my choice but I’m definitely gonna have to lease whatever I get because I know for sure that I don’t want to pay that big monthly payment. Actually for awhile I was searching for a 2019 or 2020 in the Ocean Blue Metallic because I’m obsessed with that color but I couldn’t find one with all the options I want so my husband said I should just build one with exactly what I want and just lease to get a manageable payment. Sahara or Rubicon? Decisions decisions!! (Which I hate doing BTW!)
I am way late to this Sahara thread, and I know I’m not gonna be a popular post from what I’ve read so far...😄... But if there’s a part of you that wants a Rubi , then do it , cause that voice in your head never shuts up......... mine ain’t as purrty as some of these amazing looking Saharas but I love it and have “ no regerts “..........😉

Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara DF77FC6F-15DB-4183-807D-3BB43B7658A2

Sponsored

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
I went from a Sport (non S) to a Rubicon.

I spent an hour going back and fourth between my JLUR and a white Sahara with the Sky One Touch. Same price.

Did not care for the wheels and tires or the front grill on the Sahara.
The top would have been amazing, but felt that I would have regretted it later in not getting the Rubicon.

The Moab looked like the sweet spot for people that want a bit of both.

Yaak392

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Rubicon 392
Hi all! Opinions please....I am in the market for another Wrangler, as my lease is coming to an end. I would really love to get a Rubicon, because right off the lot I’m happy how it looks with the factory wheels and so for me all I would really want to do is put bigger tires and maybe a 2.5” lift and a few other things. I’m not sure what it is about the Rubicon that I love so much, maybe it is just the rugged look it has right off the lot and I know if I got a Sahara I can get the same rugged look, I’d just have to purchase and change more to get it that way. There are things on the Sahara that I prefer over the Rubicon, like the leather dash as I don’t care for the plastic red or grey dash. And I probably won’t ever use the sway bar disconnects either. So my question is this....is it a waste to get the Rubicon since I’m not an off roader? And I know nobody says that you have to off-road to get a Rubicon either. Do they drive/handle differently then a Sahara because of their suspension? I mean I’ve even had a sales person say that unless you do off roading, the Rubicon is not necessary. I’d like to try some lite off roading but nothing that I couldn’t do with a Sahara. I just figured I would have to do/purchase less if I got the Rubicon. On the other hand I was also told from a fellow Jeeper to get a Rubicon wether I off road or not because it has a better resale value. I know it’s ultimately my choice but I’m definitely gonna have to lease whatever I get because I know for sure that I don’t want to pay that big monthly payment. Actually for awhile I was searching for a 2019 or 2020 in the Ocean Blue Metallic because I’m obsessed with that color but I couldn’t find one with all the options I want so my husband said I should just build one with exactly what I want and just lease to get a manageable payment. Sahara or Rubicon? Decisions decisions!! (Which I hate doing BTW!)
Just an opinion...
If you settle for the Sahara will you always wish you had gone for the Rubicon? Settling for the Sahara instead of going for the ultimate jeep is (to me) a poor choice. Whether or not you ever need the stronger axles doesn't matter. You have them if you need them. I've had a few jeeps along the way. My last jeep was a Rubicon and I was comfortable knowing that it could take me anywhere I wanted to go. (A winch is always good) One last thing, look into the Old Man Emu coil springs. I think they are a vast improvement from stock springs. Good luck.

Sponsored

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
A Sahara is all I need as I'm never going major rock climbing, probably just basic off road stuff but im too superficial and have to get the top of the line so I got a fully loaded Rubicon. It will be a mall princesses for me with a one time a year off roading so I don't need all the axle and stuff but for me just to say I have a Rubicon is what I had to get.

If you have the money get the Rubicon so you don't have regrets. But if cost is an issue get a Sport or something and mod it up. Just could never justify a Sahara as it's not that much better than sport or willy. And pricing is close to Rubicon so either go all in or go minimum. Didn't make sense for me to do Sahara

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My First Jeep was a Rubicon, My second Jeep was a Rubicon Unlimited and my soon to be third Jeep is a Rubicon Unlimited.
It is worth every Penny!!!
Every Wrangler is worth every penny. Not just Rubicons.

OP
OP
RoxyBoxer

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
I am way late to this Sahara thread, and I know I’m not gonna be a popular post from what I’ve read so far...😄... But if there’s a part of you that wants a Rubi , then do it , cause that voice in your head never shuts up......... mine ain’t as purrty as some of these amazing looking Saharas but I love it and have “ no regerts “..........😉

Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara DF77FC6F-15DB-4183-807D-3BB43B7658A2
No regerts huh! 😂 I know, there is just something about them!

OP
OP
RoxyBoxer

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
No regerts huh! 😂 I know, there is just something about them!

Oh and I know all about that voice in my head! Sometimes I want to punch her! 😂

OP
OP
RoxyBoxer

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
The Skytop can be had with the Sport S models. It is part of the Sun and Sound package. It doesn't get you painted fenders, but you can get leather.

The Rubicon has a 3% worse residual value (CCAP 36-38 mont leases) than a Sahara. Rubicon will have higher payments with the same MSRP. The Sport S Lease is 4% better residual which will also have lower monthly payments than a Sahara or Rubicon if they had the same MSRP. The Wily's and Sport Altitude will also have the better residual value like the Sport S. Most likely the Sport S will have lowest MSRP, then the Sahara, Rubicon. The one wild card is the 4Xe models with $7500 lease credit sometimes will have a lower payment depending on how many options you are ordering.

If you Rubicon leasing is expiring in more than month, you may want to trade it in. It likely has equity that you could apply to your next Jeep purchase.
Thank you, I will check those other models out!
Sponsored