Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I drive a sport....capability shouldnt be a factor. Electronic sway bar disconnect is nice but it's easy to disconnect a sport/Sahara
Only buy what you can afford...otherwise you won't be able to so what you want to it anyway

IMG_20210528_112748.jpg

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
I should add. For 1250 extra I was able to get a rubi take off suspension, wheels, and rock sliders to make it look better (all via this forum) and will slowly replace with things I want (35s, better suspension, ect). Out the door all staying under 43k. Don't make yourself broke over a vehicle. It's not an investment. They depreciate.

atso

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
I'm guessing if you are going from lease to purchase you are going to keep it for a while. Yes you might get a better resale value but you're also paying more upfront so that wouldn't be a great incentive imo. Since you're not using much of the Rubi's features I'd save that $ for upgrades. Depending where you are, there are lots of Rubi takeoffs that can be had for a fraction of what you'll need to pay for a Rubicon. Team Sahara holla!
Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara 1622329971387

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I think in this case specifically, the OP should go with a Sahara. You can get the Rubicon look with some after market bits or takeoffs and they shouldn't be that hard to install. Some of the creature comforts and leather dash of the Sahara would be harder or impossible to put on a Rubicon.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have both. 2019 Sahara and 2021 Rubicon. You asked about the ride. I really don't notice much difference at all. I drove the Rubicon for 2 weeks stock before backorder wheels came in.

Installed the Mopar 2.0 lift and Toyo Open Country 35's and Rubicon drives smooth and nice still.

The Sahara has the Sky One Power top. It's great to use anytime you want. I found out not a fan of how it looks with side panels off and top open. Just because it's not really open in the rear.

I went with the Hardtop for my Rubicon. I ordered the Top-lift Pro to remove and store the top.

You really can't go wrong with whichever Jeep you choose.

Good luck with your decision !!!

Panels off with Half-doors 3.jpg

2019 JUL Sahara .jpg

Mopar 2.0 Lift.jpg

Nice Break.jpg

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If you are thinking of putting bigger wheels/tires and are not planning hard off road then go *Rubicon*. I know this is a contrarian opinion here, but here are the reasons:

1 - Rubicon has 4.10 gears which will handle large tires without the need, expense and warranty voiding potential of a regear.

2 - You can fit 35" tires with no lift on a Rubicon for street driving and moderate off-roading (with light loads on the Jeep 1 or 2 people). Again, specially for a lease, you can do that with suspension lifts.

3 - With the Rubicon you can get steel front/rear bumpers from the factory that not only look rugged, they are more rugged than the plastic on the Saharas.

Good luck with your decision, but I think you will be happier with the Rubicon.
I was going to say the same thing. Iā€™ve had both a Sport S and a Rubicon. I bought the Rubicon for off-road reasons, but i was able to put 35s on without a lift or regear. The gears are better than my Sport was with 33s.

LtRoastABotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Sounds like Rubicon is not a good choice for you. Even if money werenā€™t a concern, there is no sense in paying for features you have no interest in using. Best of luck to you and Iā€™m sure youā€™ll love whatever you end up with.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Do you want to pay for lockers if you aren't going to use them?
Do you want to pay for the electronic swaybar disconnect if you aren't going to use it?
Do you want to pay for the 4:1 transfer case if 4.10 gears if you aren't going to use them?

IMHO, if you're answering no to the above questions, I'd go for the Sahara and throw some Rubicon take-offs on it. Stock Jeeps (and non-Rubicons) are really very capable to begin with
Well said Sparty!!!!

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Youā€™re at opposite ends of the spectrum. The Rubi is the most capable and least comfortable Wrangler while the Sahara is the most comfortable and least capable. You can add options to make either more capable or comfortable, but in the end I think youā€™d be happiest with a well equipped Sport S, plus youā€™d have some extra beer money.
How is a Sport ā€œmore capableā€ than a Sahara...?

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
For me the decision was easy to go Rubicon vs Sahara because i love the way the Rubicon comes right out of the box and wouldnā€™t have to change anything. However, if youā€™re going to do tires and lift anyway then just save the few thousand and go Sahara.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I donā€™t think that argument is being made. I think the poster was comparing Sahara vs. Rubicon, and I chalked it up to poor grammar common on this forum. I think the posterā€™s intention was Sahara and Sport are similar aside from brakes/shocks, and Rubi has the advantages of disconnects, lockers and clearanceā€¦but I could be wrong, given the intense Sahara hate that some Rubi owners exhibit.

Last edited:

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
Maybe I shouldnā€™t have said capable, but it is the least suited. 18ā€ wheels, painted fenders and plastic side steps all get destroyed pretty quickly with most types of off-roading. If your intention is to have a nice Jeep to drive then the Sahara is a good choice, but if you want to Mod your Jeep into something like a Rubicon a buying Sahara is a waste.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I shouldnā€™t have said capable, but it is the least suited. 18ā€ wheels, painted fenders and plastic side steps all get destroyed pretty quickly with most types of off-roading. If your intention is to have a nice Jeep to drive then the Sahara is a good choice, but if you want to Mod your Jeep into something like a Rubicon a buying Sahara is a waste.
I have a modded Sahara that I take on the trails. The only thing Rubicon has I wish my Sahara had is the swaybar disconnect, so I got JKS FlexConnect articulated swaybar links, which is second best.

For the snowy climate we get here, I much prefer my Saharaā€™s Selec-Trac + rear LSD. None of my prior Rubicons handled snow this well.

Other minor stuff: Saharaā€™s painted fenders are a breeze to clean from dirt and mud; I donā€™t have to deal with Rubiconā€™s big fender gaps that trap all sorts of dirt, rocks and debris.
Sponsored