Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Hi all! Opinions please....I am in the market for another Wrangler, as my lease is coming to an end. I would really love to get a Rubicon, because right off the lot I’m happy how it looks with the factory wheels and so for me all I would really want to do is put bigger tires and maybe a 2.5” lift and a few other things. I’m not sure what it is about the Rubicon that I love so much, maybe it is just the rugged look it has right off the lot and I know if I got a Sahara I can get the same rugged look, I’d just have to purchase and change more to get it that way. There are things on the Sahara that I prefer over the Rubicon, like the leather dash as I don’t care for the plastic red or grey dash. And I probably won’t ever use the sway bar disconnects either. So my question is this....is it a waste to get the Rubicon since I’m not an off roader? And I know nobody says that you have to off-road to get a Rubicon either. Do they drive/handle differently then a Sahara because of their suspension? I mean I’ve even had a sales person say that unless you do off roading, the Rubicon is not necessary. I’d like to try some lite off roading but nothing that I couldn’t do with a Sahara. I just figured I would have to do/purchase less if I got the Rubicon. On the other hand I was also told from a fellow Jeeper to get a Rubicon wether I off road or not because it has a better resale value. I know it’s ultimately my choice but I’m definitely gonna have to lease whatever I get because I know for sure that I don’t want to pay that big monthly payment. Actually for awhile I was searching for a 2019 or 2020 in the Ocean Blue Metallic because I’m obsessed with that color but I couldn’t find one with all the options I want so my husband said I should just build one with exactly what I want and just lease to get a manageable payment. Sahara or Rubicon? Decisions decisions!! (Which I hate doing BTW!)
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You can make any Wrangler look any way you want. That’s the beauty of Jeeps.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I understand your questions. I went the route of Sahara in part for some of the reasons you mentioned.

I have changed the wheels and tires as well as added the Mopar lift. I have done some minor off roading. Nothing serious.

Mine is more of a country road and state road cruiser.

Good luck with whichever route you take.

Oh and mine is Ocean Blue. LOVE IT!!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara 03F54347-2886-4C2B-AE45-D6EF88FB0350
Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara 6B94051A-C9AA-466F-A85A-70A7E96EB67A
Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara 22AEAB04-2170-475D-A838-42051E29536B
Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara 5C3F8DF1-2510-4235-AEEE-D263BE228460
Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara 56D02C70-E851-4E2B-8A3F-5DDB5E7AAD66
Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara 820F016F-049A-420E-BE9B-1D770C94BBAD

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
Do you want to pay for lockers if you aren't going to use them?
Do you want to pay for the electronic swaybar disconnect if you aren't going to use it?
Do you want to pay for the 4:1 transfer case if 4.10 gears if you aren't going to use them?

IMHO, if you're answering no to the above questions, I'd go for the Sahara and throw some Rubicon take-offs on it. Stock Jeeps (and non-Rubicons) are really very capable to begin with

OP
OP
RoxyBoxer

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
I understand your questions. I went the route of Sahara in part for some of the reasons you mentioned.

I have changed the wheels and tires as well as added the Mopar lift. I have done some minor off roading. Nothing serious.

Mine is more of a country road and state road cruiser.

Good luck with whichever route you take.

Oh and mine is Ocean Blue. LOVE IT!!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara 820F016F-049A-420E-BE9B-1D770C94BBAD
@cOtter ugh!! thanks!! 😂 you’re killing now with that!! LOVE!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
RoxyBoxer

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Do you want to pay for lockers if you aren't going to use them?
Do you want to pay for the electronic swaybar disconnect if you aren't going to use it?
Do you want to pay for the 4:1 transfer case if 4.10 gears if you aren't going to use them?

IMHO, if you're answering no to the above questions, I'd go for the Sahara and throw some Rubicon take-offs on it. Stock Jeeps (and non-Rubicons) are really very capable to begin with
I totally get it, that’s why I’m hesitant. Thanks!

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
The Sahara we have rides nicer than the Rubicon, and came with a bunch of creature comforts standard. Sahara also can be equipped with body color bits you can't get on sport, and other options only available on the upper trim models. If you haven't already go over and look at the order guides, it will show you what comes standard in each package, I am always really impressed with how the Sahara is equipped, standard. I think the FWP on a Sahara JLU starts at 37,5.k and JLUR around 41k. That's quite a bit of extras on a Sahara or lockers and disconnects you don't think you'll use.

I'm with you, Rubicons look awesome. However an extra 3-4k for a sky one touch or leather or whatever, stuff you'll use everyday....along with a better ride on the road......

I love my Rubicon and am sending it down the road for another JLR, but really I think Sahara is a great trim level and sounds like it is perfect for you. Body color fenders, sky one touch top, and a lift and you're probably going to forget Rubicons even exist, and maybe still be out ahead.

But, Rubicons look awesome, soooo.... 😀

Good luck, either way you'll love it.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I chose the Sahara option, it fit my budget a bit more..

There are several things a Rubicon has over the Sahara but for me it was paying for things I would likely not use that much to justify the cost

This was it when first getting in 2018

Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara 7954718F-55B2-4887-9E9E-0BA461778231

And this is how it sits now with a few mods

Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara 5BA2CFC6-D4A5-4996-B754-C55F03A59F31
Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara C3E8D559-188B-4803-8773-AC9E7C64809A
Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara 4EE428F2-2541-45AE-8F63-AF2711BFB468
Jeep Wrangler JL Decisions, decisions....Rubicon or Sahara 2E505C0F-7DD4-4C43-93FE-0BCA557F1528

I say get what you like and don‘t look back with regrets

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Hi all! Opinions please....I am in the market for another Wrangler, as my lease is coming to an end. I would really love to get a Rubicon, because right off the lot I’m happy how it looks with the factory wheels and so for me all I would really want to do is put bigger tires and maybe a 2.5” lift and a few other things. I’m not sure what it is about the Rubicon that I love so much, maybe it is just the rugged look it has right off the lot and I know if I got a Sahara I can get the same rugged look, I’d just have to purchase and change more to get it that way. There are things on the Sahara that I prefer over the Rubicon, like the leather dash as I don’t care for the plastic red or grey dash. And I probably won’t ever use the sway bar disconnects either. So my question is this....is it a waste to get the Rubicon since I’m not an off roader? And I know nobody says that you have to off-road to get a Rubicon either. Do they drive/handle differently then a Sahara because of their suspension? I mean I’ve even had a sales person say that unless you do off roading, the Rubicon is not necessary. I’d like to try some lite off roading but nothing that I couldn’t do with a Sahara. I just figured I would have to do/purchase less if I got the Rubicon. On the other hand I was also told from a fellow Jeeper to get a Rubicon wether I off road or not because it has a better resale value. I know it’s ultimately my choice but I’m definitely gonna have to lease whatever I get because I know for sure that I don’t want to pay that big monthly payment. Actually for awhile I was searching for a 2019 or 2020 in the Ocean Blue Metallic because I’m obsessed with that color but I couldn’t find one with all the options I want so my husband said I should just build one with exactly what I want and just lease to get a manageable payment. Sahara or Rubicon? Decisions decisions!! (Which I hate doing BTW!)
Are you buying or leasing? If leasing you may want to get the dealer to write you up an estimate for both. The Rubicon likely has a higher residual so even if it cost a bit more $$$ it could be the same payment.

If you're purchasing, a rubicon will sell for more/be easier to sell when the time comes. Look at your local craigslist and look for used JL, JK, and TJ's and compare Rubicons to non rubicons. Either would work for your intended use.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Hi all! Opinions please....I am in the market for another Wrangler, as my lease is coming to an end. I would really love to get a Rubicon, because right off the lot I’m happy how it looks with the factory wheels and so for me all I would really want to do is put bigger tires and maybe a 2.5” lift the options I want so my husband said I should just build one with exactly what I want and just lease to get a manageable payment. Sahara or Rubicon? Decisions decisions!! (Which I hate doing BTW!)

Since you may be ordering a new build, your timing might be just right...There are very reliable rumors that 35's may be an option for 2022, at least on some trims. The preliminary order info should be out soon and we will know for sure! Also since you plan to lease, the fewer aftermarket mods (tires, wheels & lift are expensive) you have to make the better...Congrats in advance and hope you get just the right Jeep for you!

Sponsored

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Why not a Sport? You yourself said that you cannot really afford either the Sahara or Rubicon trims, and will have to lease it - which doesn't solve the affordability issue, just defers it into the future. A Sport can handle the off-roading in your area, which is fairly limited. Sports can take any mod you have in mind, and have an active resale market, too.

OP
OP
RoxyBoxer

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Why not a Sport? You yourself said that you cannot really afford either the Sahara or Rubicon trims, and will have to lease it - which doesn't solve the affordability issue, just defers it into the future. A Sport can handle the off-roading in your area, which is fairly limited. Sports can take any mod you have in mind, and have an active resale market, too.
I get that, but I wanted the sky touch for sure, painted fenders, along with leather and some other things that doesn’t come with the sport.

OP
OP
RoxyBoxer

RoxyBoxer

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler
Since you may be ordering a new build, your timing might be just right...There are very reliable rumors that 35's may be an option for 2022, at least on some trims. The preliminary order info should be out soon and we will know for sure! Also since you plan to lease, the fewer aftermarket mods (tires, wheels & lift are expensive) you have to make the better...Congrats in advance and hope you get just the right Jeep for you!
It’s gonna be a 2021 so that won’t help.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Rubicon is serious overkill for 99% of folks. If “the look” means that much to you then go for it, but you’d be better served with a Sahara or a Sport. Rubi will ride a bit stiffer (heavier springs) and get slightly worse mileage (gears) too. Your call.
Sponsored