Reconatrek

First Name
Mamba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Hi Team -

Lifetime Jeep owner, Wrangler newbie here. I picked up my ‘20 Rubicon Recon a couple weeks ago and am completely in love. I am going through the painstaking task of spending countless hours looking at various wheel/tire/lift combinations to figure out precisely the look that strikes my cord and still meets my driving preferences as an every day driver which will probably see off-road every 4-6 weeks, camping and fishing trails predominantly. I have a 2 year old with one on the way.

I keep reading that 35”s are about as big as I would want to go before I fall out of daily driver territory, but it also sounds like the stock Rubi drivetrain could ‘handle’ 37”s, and although it would probably sweat a bit (slight hit to MPG, acceleration and braking), I could get away without any other suspension work.

At this point, I am leaning towards the 2” Mopar Lift and 37s (tires and wheels TBD). I like the aggressive stance with fuller wheel well with this combo.

A few questions, and keep in mind the Recon has the I4 Turbo with eTorque with 4:10s:

Should I foresee any rubbing issues in moderate trail running / light crawling (say 50-75% articulation) with this setup? Are there any other modifications I would want to consider as a preventative to any bumping/rubbing? Mopar lift comes with longer control arms and bump stops, Recon comes with Mopar Rock-rails.

Is there a wheel/tire combo WEIGHT threshold before these Dana 44s get unhappy?

General thoughts on road manners with a 2” lift on 37s? Obviously stock ride quality is out, but if stock is 10 and Colosus at Disneyland is a 0, where would you put the ride quality? (Given that other variables like wheel size and tire type will vary)

Does a 37”, 13.5” in tire fit on the JLUR? Backspace?

Here are a few 33”, 35”, and 37” comparison pics on the Mopar 2” lift

Jeep Wrangler JL Decision Time FBE1B1D5-567E-49D9-BFC1-B37698B37B0C

Jeep Wrangler JL Decision Time EF14552E-43C1-4D31-A416-69061D02D555

Jeep Wrangler JL Decision Time 05F31544-95ED-4990-884F-3D31C7D86F89

Shot out to Extreme Terrain for always coming through with visual and informative content.

Sponsored

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Mamba, congrats on the new Rubicon!
Might consider other lift options as well, seems the Mopar lift gets pretty mixed reviews around here.
Wish I could steer you to a specific lift but it would be just what I've read, not firsthand. But I would suggest looking at several others before putting the Mopar in your cart :)

OP
OP
Reconatrek

Reconatrek

First Name
Mamba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Mamba, congrats on the new Rubicon!
Might consider other lift options as well, seems the Mopar lift gets pretty mixed reviews around here.
Wish I could steer you to a specific lift but it would be just what I've read, not firsthand. But I would suggest looking at several others before putting the Mopar in your cart :)
Thanks for the words of caution. I hadn’t seen any negative reviews on the Mopar lift. I assumed the Fox shocks (good brand) and factory specs added up to a solid product, but I will do a bit more digging here.
Sponsored