Sponsored

Decision made. Rubicon order going in.

TheBigBadWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Firecracker (3 Pedal Version)
My wife asked me to sit down and talk with her the other day. Oh... crap, what did I do. What she wanted to talk about is my buying a Jeep. Listen, I think you should get it, this year has been a drag. What a woman!

I have a CJ-7 I bought as a teenager, while its a heap of junk, I will get to it one day. Have yet to find a reason to sell a CJ

I factory ordered a 2015 JKU willys wheeler. I loved that Jeep. It was fantastic and I felt at home in it.

With more kids, I started to feel that I was being selfish forgoing the safety advances in modern vehicles and opted to get into a GMC Sierra with all the bells and whistles (including the 6.2L V8). My father bought the Jeep. I’ve had the truck for a couple of years and found myself always.... looking. The truck is great, it does everything I NEED it to do. It just doesn’t excite me.

Here’s what does:
JLU Rubicon
Firecracker Red
Manual
Cloth (I keep the top down as much as possible, leather is HOT!!)
Proximity entry
Safety group
Advanced safety group
8.4” w/ premium audio
Cold weather group (heated seats let me keep the top down longer)
Dual top
LED lighting
Trailer tow (for the upgraded electrical components and aux switches mainly)
Steel bumper group

There are things that I will likely get aftermarket, some to save money some to have redundancy in parts. For example, I want to run the satin black grill, but can buy it aftermarket and have both, same with floor mats.

ANYTHING I MISSED?!?!

Can someone direct me to the line to the waiting room?
Sponsored

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
Looks like a good build. Now shoot off an email to Mike Clinnin at Mall of Georgia Jeep in Buford GA. In my search his price and service was fantastic.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Consider the dual doors rather than dual tops if you are keeping the truck. I ordered the hard top and dual doors mainly because it's such a pain to retrofit a hard top to a Jeep that came without one. But honestly, I expect to get way more use out of the half doors than the hard top...

OP
OP
TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Consider the dual doors rather than dual tops if you are keeping the truck. I ordered the hard top and dual doors mainly because it's such a pain to retrofit a hard top to a Jeep that came without one. But honestly, I expect to get way more use out of the half doors than the hard top...
This is a good point and I agree with what you said. The truck is going to go away with the Jeep arrival (I already spend any “lets just keep the other one” credit on a car)
I actually ran the JKU I had with soft top only through the first winter I had it. Worked fine, but I got the opportunity to get a hard top and jumped on it. Would have been nice to have factory provisions for wiper and fluids though. Ideally wish I could get both, but apparently the shipping logistics are impossible.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You should drive one with the 8 speed auto. It is an awesome transmission. I thought of buying the manual, but after a 10 mile test drive and shifting it about 50+ times in ten miles, I thought that the manual would be fun for about 10 minutes and then turn into work. Heck I could never drink coffee and drive the manual. I would skip the steel bumpers as for the cost, you can get good steel bumpers and an oversized tire carrier for less than the cost of the factory steel bumper package.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should drive one with the 8 speed auto. It is an awesome transmission. I thought of buying the manual, but after a 10 mile test drive and shifting it about 50+ times in ten miles, I thought that the manual would be fun for about 10 minutes and then turn into work. Heck I could never drink coffee and drive the manual. I would skip the steel bumpers as for the cost, you can get good steel bumpers and an oversized tire carrier for less than the cost of the factory steel bumper package.
Thank you for your input here!! I do genuinely appreciate it!

The thought about the cost of steel bumpers, particularly the addition of the integrated tire carrier is great. Ultimately, I like factory front look, but agree that the aftermarket rear, particularly with oversized tire carrier is better than the factory option. I wish I could get the front from the factory and replace rear with steel and integrated tire carrier.

I totally get it with the auto sentiment. For me, the Jeep is more of an experiential driving machine, wind in hair, sun on face, driving. Ive had equal numbers of both auto and manual in my adult driving life, and generally enjoy driving the manuals more. That said, I acquiesce that the auto is more refined, and possibly, stronger.

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
Been driving manuals since 1969. They are fun until you injure one of your legs, knees, or arms. And sooner or later it will happen. Rowing the gears is a blast when you have all your parts working in harmony.

OP
OP
TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been driving manuals since 1969. They are fun until you injure one of your legs, knees, or arms. And sooner or later it will happen. Rowing the gears is a blast when you have all your parts working in harmony.
Agreed. In fact, this very thing happening in my father was one reason I sold my JK to him. He had a manual TJ, and progressive nerve damage and cramps precluded his driving the TJ as much as he wanted.
I've certainly had injuries that make this point come to life. I lived in a place that took me between 60 and 90 minutes to get across a tunnel to go roughly six miles for my commute. The manual was occasionally trying in that situation. My situation has changed, making that less of an issue.

The jiujitsu will almost assuredly make me occasionally regret the choice.
Sponsored