Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone... I lifted my 2018 JL Unlimited Sport about 14 months ago. No issues until last week, when all of a sudden, the "death wobble" started happening. It was so crazy! I had installed a RC Dual Shock Steering Stabilizer about a year ago and had to warranty it after about 6 months because the center bracket split in half. I just took the replaced one off a few days prior to the death wobble happening because one of the C brackets broke. I'll be contacting RC about that today. My question is this: Is the wobble related to me not having a Steering Stabilizer on it anymore, or is it something different that would have eventually happened anyway, like a new Track Bar was needed?
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey everyone... I lifted my 2018 JL Unlimited Sport about 14 months ago. No issues until last week, when all of a sudden, the "death wobble" started happening. It was so crazy! I had installed a RC Dual Shock Steering Stabilizer about a year ago and had to warranty it after about 6 months because the center bracket split in half. I just took the replaced one off a few days prior to the death wobble happening because one of the C brackets broke. I'll be contacting RC about that today. My question is this: Is the wobble related to me not having a Steering Stabilizer on it anymore, or is it something different that would have eventually happened anyway, like a new Track Bar was needed?
Steering stabilizers absorb the shimmy and vibrations in the tie rod and convert them to heat. Your Jeep is lifted with larger tires which accelerates the wear on everything. It's quite likely you have something or somethings that have developed slop, causing extra vibration, resulting in the broken stabilizer, and now the wobble.

You might find one obviously worn component, or you may need to change all your rod ends, wheel bearings, etc to bring it back to stock "tightness"

MORubi

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JLUR, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Construction
Death wobble can be a bunch of different things. From what I’ve seen, it’s mostly seen in the earlier model years (18, 19, and some of 20). My 2018 jlur had it after I did the mopar lift. I didn’t notice it until the front stabilizer started to wear out. I took it off and the DW was crazy. Tried 2 different tsb stabilizer replacements and a fox stabilizer as well. I had a yeti front track bar and teraflex lca’s installed too. None of it fixed it. Even with everything torqued properly. Changed out the steering gear box and that made an improvement but I got to the point that I didn’t want to put my wife and kids in it anymore with the unknown. We sold it and I’m currently waiting on my 392.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The stabilizers are wearing prematurely because they are working hard to control and issue that needs to be found and fixed. Every bolt that was touched when the lift was installed needs to be retorqued, or replaced if it won't hold the torque. The OEM ball joints leave a lot to be desired and should also be replaced. Make sure that your alignment is good and that your tires are balanced out to zero. If they can't get them that way, consider adding balance beads.

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Death wobble can be a bunch of different things. From what I’ve seen, it’s mostly seen in the earlier model years (18, 19, and some of 20). My 2018 jlur had it after I did the mopar lift. I didn’t notice it until the front stabilizer started to wear out. I took it off and the DW was crazy. Tried 2 different tsb stabilizer replacements and a fox stabilizer as well. I had a yeti front track bar and teraflex lca’s installed too. None of it fixed it. Even with everything torqued properly. Changed out the steering gear box and that made an improvement but I got to the point that I didn’t want to put my wife and kids in it anymore with the unknown. We sold it and I’m currently waiting on my 392.
I wish i could have fixed my steering issues with a 392!!! ;)

In all seriousness though, like others have said, go through and check everything for slop. Torque all steering related bolts. Did you center your axle after lifting? Did your kit include extended LCA's or brackets to account for the lift? Have you had an alignment? If your toe or caster are off it could be playing a role.

I had a bit of steering wheel shimmy over bumps at certain speeds and in the end adjustable LCA's fixed it completely. Maybe it was a combination of everything but as soon as i put those on it was gone. This was after checking everything for play, torquing everything down, checking alignment, etc...

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I got death wobble really bad the other day, to the point were I had to pull over. It felt like the Jeep was going to shake apart. I had the dynatrack 2” lift installed recently. I have a lot of upgrades to the steering (adjustable track bar , steering stabilizer, LCA’s).

It only happens in one spot on a specific road I travel on. I purposely went over it to test things out, and immediately regretted it. I’ve asked the shop who installed the lift to look it over, while I’m getting new tires.. I’m also going to go over everything when I get home.
Sponsored