Death Wobble Without Stabilizer

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have the steering stabilizer off my JLUR and kept getting death wobble. When I'd hit a bump going 35-50 mph. I've got a Metalcloak 3.5 Game Changer, track bar brace, Steer Smart tie rod and drag link. Alignment specs are 1/8" toe in (.43*) and I'm at 6.8* caster. Everything is torqued to spec and I have the updated steering box. Is it normal to get death wobble without a stabilizer running 37s? All components are basically new. Lift has about 3000 miles on it and Steer Smart components have less than 500 miles.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the steering stabilizer off my JLUR and kept getting death wobble. When I'd hit a bump going 35-50 mph. I've got a Metalcloak 3.5 Game Changer, Steer Smart tie rod and drag link. Alignment specs are 1/8" toe in (.43*) and I'm at 6.8* caster. Everything is torqued to spec and I have the updated steering box. Is it normal to get death wobble without a stabilizer running 37s? All components are basically new. Lift has about 3000 miles on it and Steer Smart components have less than 500 miles.
Describe the "Death Wobble" you're experiencing.....this will help us help you.

In my experience, when you drive a Jeep w/out stabilizer, what you're experiencing is called "bump steer". Upon hitting a bump, your steering wheel moves back and forth as there is no longer a device (stabilizer) to dampen the steering the sharp forces being exerted laterally. If all you are experiencing is the steering wheel moving back and forth, relax, as that is perfectly normal.

Full on death wobble is when there is an uncontrollable harmonic vibration with the front axle which cannot be controlled through the track bar, control arms, etc. True death wobble is very scary when it happens (especially the first time) as it makes you feel the Jeep is going to overturn and the only way to stop it is to slow down/come to a complete stop.

There's a lot of people new to Jeep's who say they have death wobble, when it truly isn't.

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
When I hit a bump the steering wheel starts going back and forth until I slowed down. It wasn't just a couple shakes back and forth. The wheel would go back and forth from about 10 to 2 o'clock continuously. I've had more violent death wobble in my old JK. This wasn't as bad. Almost a slow motion version but it wouldn't stop until I was under 30 mph.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That's a little more than normal bump steer then. I ran my 18 JLUR without a steering stabilizer (and other Jeeps too) without issue. Your toe and caster settings look good to me.

First thing I'd focus on is ensuring the track bar and control arms were torqued correctly. When your lift was installed, were all the suspension bolts tightened with the wheels on the ground and at ride height? If not, there could've been some preload on the joints.

It's possible (but not likely) that one of the track bar or control arm bushings is bad. Or possibly even a ball joint in your steering system. Have someone "saw" (not a really turn, but just move the steering wheel slightly side to side) the steering wheel while you inspect all of the suspension and steering joints. This is an easy way to look for abnormal movement in all of the joints/bushings of your front end (except for the actual ball joints).

When's the last time you had your tires balanced?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
When I hit a bump the steering wheel starts going back and forth until I slowed down. It wasn't just a couple shakes back and forth. The wheel would go back and forth from about 10 to 2 o'clock continuously. I've had more violent death wobble in my old JK. This wasn't as bad. Almost a slow motion version but it wouldn't stop until I was under 30 mph.
I would check your ball joints, probably not it, but good to check all the boxes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Everything was torqued on the ground. I did a nut and bolt check. All control arms, track bars, steering components..... I checked ball joints by putting a bar under my tires. No up or down movement. Kind of weird.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Also following new steering gear box install threads there has been a few folks that dealer did not torque gear box correctly. Just a thought

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Everything was torqued on the ground. I did a nut and bolt check. All control arms, track bars, steering components..... I checked ball joints by putting a bar under my tires. No up or down movement. Kind of weird.
Have you laid under the Jeep and watch the track bar for movement while someone turns the the steering wheel back and forth , I know it’s fairly new but could be defective bushings. With what your describing it almost has to be worn or defective bushing/joints or somethings not tightened.

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Also following new steering gear box install threads there has been a few folks that dealer did not torque gear box correctly. Just a thought
Mine was loose. I checked the torque when I got home from the dealer after it was done. Frame bolts were loose, sector shaft nut was loose, and I was low on fluid. All of those are tight before I took the stabilizer off.

Have you laid under the Jeep and watch the track bar for movement while someone turns the the steering wheel back and forth , I know it’s fairly new but could be defective bushings. With what your describing it almost has to be worn or defective bushing/joints or somethings not tightened.
I haven't checked that yet. Thats about the only thing I haven't checked.

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I haven't had a chance to check the track bar yet. Waiting for my wife to get home to turn the wheel. The only thing I noticed that might be a little off was where the drag link goes into the knuckle. The end look is not straight up and down with the wheel straight. I did talk to Steer Smart about this and he said it shouldn't be a problem.

20200915_093237.jpg

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If everything that both limeade and Roky mentioned checks out, try decreasing the toe-in to 1/16". I know it doesn't sound like much, but it fixed my bouts of DW after doing my first lift and steersmarts install.

Normal bump steer will stop as soon as the front wheels clear the bump. A shimmy feels the same, but lasts a second or so after the bump. Full on death wobble won't go away on its own, can't be driven through, and will only stop after slowing to well below minimum highway speeds.

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If everything that both limeade and Roky mentioned checks out, try decreasing the toe-in to 1/16". I know it doesn't sound like much, but it fixed my bouts of DW after doing my first lift and steersmarts install.

Normal bump steer will stop as soon as the front wheels clear the bump. A shimmy feels the same, but lasts a second or so after the bump. Full on death wobble won't go away on its own, can't be driven through, and will only stop after slowing to well below minimum highway speeds.
I may try that. Everything else looks fine. No visible play in the track bar. My wobble won't go away until I get below 30. Was half tempted to try steer smart's toe out setting

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I may try that. Everything else looks fine. No visible play in the track bar. My wobble won't go away until I get below 30. Was half tempted to try steer smart's toe out setting
Did you ever get this resolved? every 4-6 weeks I get a little death wobble incident. Everytime I think I have it nipped, it shows back up. Just did last saturday on a buckled piece of pavement doing 45 mph. Just looking for people that have resolved theirs to see what works for them. Thanks.

OP
OP
SilverRubi

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Did you ever get this resolved? every 4-6 weeks I get a little death wobble incident. Everytime I think I have it nipped, it shows back up. Just did last saturday on a buckled piece of pavement doing 45 mph. Just looking for people that have resolved theirs to see what works for them. Thanks.
Still haven't figured it out. In the shop right now getting ready to move my toe in from 1/8 to 1/16. See if that helps.

Guess I could always try steer smart's toe out. I know when I had it that way I wasn't getting any wobble. It was chewing up the inside of my tires though.

20201006_171036.jpg

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Still haven't figured it out. In the shop right now getting ready to move my toe in from 1/8 to 1/16. See if that helps.

Guess I could always try steer smart's toe out. I know when I had it that way I wasn't getting any wobble. It was chewing up the inside of my tires though.

20201006_171036.jpg
Right?! 0.5 degrees toe out is kind of a lot, right? I think it’s like 1/2” toe out on 37’s. I also really didn’t like how it felt. Felt like I was plowing snow on the road. Like there was resistance. I backed off to 3/16” toe out, but like I said, it did it again last weekend. If I have to toe it out more to drive it, I will. But it’s gotta chew up the tire. And doesn’t feel awesome. Let me know what 1/16” does. I tried ALL the toe in settings before my steering box TSB. I’ve been afraid to go back.
Sponsored