Sponsored

Death Wobble on '21 stock Wrangler Sport

Rammingspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 2 Door
Been lurking on this form for a month or so and I’ve learned a lot. This has been a very nice resource.

I have a ’21 Wrangler Sport S 2-door purchased in May of ’21 with 7000 miles and just experienced death wobble on Texas interstate highways a few times yesterday and today. Always after bumpy sections and they scared the crap out of me. Honestly, if I had not had both hands on the wheel I’m not sure I could have maintained control. And, I was lucky enough to not have someone tailgating me as I slowed down enough for oscillations to subside and regain control.

I have totally stock wheels, suspension, etc. Only functional mods are LED headlights and a base plate, wiring and supplemental braking for flat towing. Reading through these threads makes me even more concerned as most posting with the issue have aftermarket wheels & tires and suspension mods. I consider the issue a warranty issue. My question is…. What can I reasonably expect a dealer service department to do other check & tighten the ball joints?

Thanks
Sponsored

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
Been lurking on this form for a month or so and I’ve learned a lot. This has been a very nice resource.

I have a ’21 Wrangler Sport S 2-door purchased in May of ’21 with 7000 miles and just experienced death wobble on Texas interstate highways a few times yesterday and today. Always after bumpy sections and they scared the crap out of me. Honestly, if I had not had both hands on the wheel I’m not sure I could have maintained control. And, I was lucky enough to not have someone tailgating me as I slowed down enough for oscillations to subside and regain control.

I have totally stock wheels, suspension, etc. Only functional mods are LED headlights and a base plate, wiring and supplemental braking for flat towing. Reading through these threads makes me even more concerned as most posting with the issue have aftermarket wheels & tires and suspension mods. I consider the issue a warranty issue. My question is…. What can I reasonably expect a dealer service department to do other check & tighten the ball joints?

Thanks
Stock tire size, too? I wouldn't set your expectations too high when it comes to dealership troubleshooting effort. From what I've seen it varies widely from dealer to dealer but generally speaking is pretty bad. From what you've described, and in my experience, I'm guessing it's the crap stock ball joints. But all the stock steering components on the JL are crap, especially outside the steering gearbox itself.

How much have you had it off-road in that 7k miles?

OP
OP
Rammingspeed

Rammingspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stock tire size, too? I wouldn't set your expectations too high when it comes to dealership troubleshooting effort. From what I've seen it varies widely from dealer to dealer but generally speaking is pretty bad. From what you've described, and in my experience, I'm guessing it's the crap stock ball joints. But all the stock steering components on the JL are crap, especially outside the steering gearbox itself.

How much have you had it off-road in that 7k miles?
Yes. Tires are the stock 245/75 R17 All Season. It probably has 100 miles of gravel & forest service road travel - some of it was washboard. In other words, no 'real' off-roading. Everywhere we've been, we could have done in our minivan!

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I just posted a similar message on a similar post.

You should check for proper torque for all nuts and bolts suspension related. The dealer, jeep assembly, and shops don't always do their job correctly. I did a video awhile back on my JT on my youtbe channel. I had the TSB steering box replacement done. Got my jeep back and it was all over the place. Found my pitman arm nut to be finger tight. That nut has to be 180 ft/lbs and has to have loctite. In fact, if you order a new nut, it comes with loctite already on it. Also found both lower balljoints not within torque specs.

So you have to checck all nuts and bolts for proper torque. Could be that one balljoint, track bar, or draglink nut or bolt not within specs causing your issue.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Rammingspeed

Rammingspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just posted a similar message on a similar post.

You should check for proper torque for all nuts and bolts suspension related. The dealer, jeep assembly, and shops don't always do their job correctly. I did a video awhile back on my JT on my youtbe channel. I had the TSB steering box replacement done. Got my jeep back and it was all over the place. Found my pitman arm nut to be finger tight. That nut has to be 180 ft/lbs and has to have loctite. In fact, if you order a new nut, it comes with loctite already on it. Also found both lower balljoints not within torque specs.

So you have to checck all nuts and bolts for proper torque. Could be that one balljoint, track bar, or draglink nut or bolt not within specs causing your issue.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the thoughtful advice. I've taken it to the dealer. They assure me that they have checked torque. They've also ordered a 'new' gear box for the steering. The advisor claims that the gear box is a newer version than what I had. Not sure I believe him, since we purchased in April.......

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
They’re getting paid to replace the steering box. It’s an easy warranty claim for them. Have you experienced any hard curb, rock or pothole strikes? They can damage the plastic in the factory ball joints. No amount of visual or torque checking will discover the issue.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thanks for the thoughtful advice. I've taken it to the dealer. They assure me that they have checked torque. They've also ordered a 'new' gear box for the steering. The advisor claims that the gear box is a newer version than what I had. Not sure I believe him, since we purchased in April.......
It's not updated since then. They are unfamiliar with what they are referring, and it shows. Your best bet is to install a nice lift kit to replace the undersized stock parts.

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
They’re getting paid to replace the steering box. It’s an easy warranty claim for them. Have you experienced any hard curb, rock or pothole strikes? They can damage the plastic in the factory ball joints. No amount of visual or torque checking will discover the issue.
Bingo! Great answer!

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Ok. I hope they figure it out. Just remember, they changed my steering box as well and they were the ones that didn't torque it properly. But, best of luck. I wouldn't wish anything bad and costly on anyone.

akabonanza

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara
I just had my 4 door Sahara 2022 all stock with the same issue. Go to parts and make sure it is the latest. There is a new fix out . Service manager didn’t even know that.
I have bigger issues of vibration they can not fix.

Sponsored

hsracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2DR JL Sport (Sold); 2022 JLU Sport S ordered
I just had my 4 door Sahara 2022 all stock with the same issue. Go to parts and make sure it is the latest. There is a new fix out . Service manager didn’t even know that.
I have bigger issues of vibration they can not fix.

What did they swap out for you? I'm having some serious play and a bit of death wobble in my 2022 JL Sport.

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
Just for a heads up my new 2022 came from the factory with a loose sector nut, more than one ball joint nut loose and a tierod nut loose. Just food for thought. Dealer is probably not actually checking each nut and bolt for proper torque like one would hope.

If you can have someone turn the steering wheel side to side while you look at every part of your steering and linkage. You are looking for any play in these parts.
Sponsored