Death Wobble - NHTSA Now Investigating

lak56

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
I have a 2018 JL with 23000 miles. I first experienced DW last week on the Mass Pike. I was in the passing lane and experienced the violent shaking of the steering wheel and wobbling of the wheels described by others after hitting an expansion joint. On my way from PA to ME this week, it happened 5 times. The first time, the shaking was so severe that the person behind me dropped back and the cars next to me switched lanes for me to get over to the shoulder.I called the service department at my dealership while on the road and they claimed to have never heard of the problem. A local dealer at my destination said they were aware of the problem in older models with high mileage. Found out I am not alone by searching the internet. This is a major problem and is terrifying to experience. I will file a report with Jeep and with the NHTSA.
Sponsored

71beepbeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Sahara
Thats my video. Thank you for sharing your story. This happened to me about 4-5 times on my way home from work. The first dealership couldnt resolve it and tried to say wheel spacers could help...yeah that didn't make any sense.

I'm getting it looked at by a different dealership this weekend and will see if I have any better luck. Until then I have to drive a vehicle that occasionally loses control on the highway... Oh yeah the engine still knocks too but after having my vehicle for 48 hours the dealership couldn't find anything wrong with that either...
Thanks for posting the video. There is a star bulletin for this issue. They need to inspect your stabilizer date code, and replace if it is lower than 256. I can get you the number if you need it.

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Instant death wobble will happen with worn or faulty suspension components. It is a feature of the awesome articulation and wheel travel your new jeep has by design and allows you do this kinda stuff...

Also in the news...

40euMFFKX4ASA7LIGUs-b6xbiBTBdL29nqx12CPSt--WEl9dYu79eniutTbd1M6dLQ3i_h38emJYxpVPQ=w1712-h1284-no.jpg

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
@xpsruler @71beepbeep are you guys hitting potholes to induce this? What is causing it to begin/occur, or does it just happen randomly on flat smooth roads??

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
@xpsruler @71beepbeep are you guys hitting potholes to induce this? What is causing it to begin/occur, or does it just happen randomly on flat smooth roads??
It happens for me mostly on expansion joints and bridges. No lift, stock sahara. Stabilizer replaced and still happening somewhat.

Here's a video of a 'normal' wobble before I had the stabilizer fixed. Had a few where I had to stop.

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is exactly what mine is doing. Took it to the dealer today and they ordered an updated steering stabilizer.
That is a steering shimmy - if you had death wobble at 72mph you would crap your pants and would have to pull over and stop as quickly as you could, if you were lucky enough to control it to a complete stop.

You definitely wouldn’t be filming it or taking your hands off the wheel.

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
That is a steering shimmy - if you had death wobble at 72mph you would crap your pants and would have to pull over and stop as quickly as you could, if you were lucky enough to control it to a complete stop.

You definitely wouldn’t be filming it or taking your hands off the wheel.
Correct. I've been calling it just steering wheel wobble. But there have been times that are much more similar to the actual death wobble where the whole vehicle shakes violently.

Bonzy

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered Jeep Jl
I dont see how losing steering control at 75mph is not a safety issue. No one should experience this with a brand new vehicle.
Has the dealer helped the wobble by fixing it for you?

First Name
Beth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited
Don't know if this has been posted already, but interesting article. I know there is a thread already on is this still a thing, but didn't want it to get buried in that one.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c.../jeep-wrangler-death-wobble-nhtsa/2028633002/

I guess this would indicate that this still is a thing.
I had me Jeep in on 11/20 for this issue. Service member said I would have to wait for the recall on the track back and for a part that is on backorder for the stabilize. He assured me it was safe to take a 5+ hour drive on Thanksgiving.

Today the FCA recall letter came in the mail, which clearly states the "track bar bracket welds issue can cause a reduction in the steering response, which can cause a vehicle crash without prior warning."

Just got off the phone with FCA, they said take the Jeep to your dealership immediately it is NOT safe to drive and they should have never let me leave in it on Tuesday 11/20 when I brought it in.

If you are experience the wobble/shake, take it to the dealership.

Sponsored

fzdan4256

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Billet Silver , 6 speed
I took my 2018 JLRU with a dealer installed 2 in Mopar lift and dealer installed 35in tires. They pulled a " Case " and are waiting on a reply from FCA ......UGH Very frustrating. Thank you Jeep wave , Received a free rental. Care to offer a comment @JeepCares ?

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
My dealership replaced the drag link and steering stabilizer. It has definitely improved but is still occurring :-(.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
Yep, mine does it and it’s stock. Took it to the dealer today and they ordered an updated steering stabilizer.
Did the dealer give you any pushback? I'm sure my dealer will not be able to replicate it and I would like to be in the right mindset before taking my JL in! :)

71beepbeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Sahara
Did the dealer give you any pushback? I'm sure my dealer will not be able to replicate it and I would like to be in the right mindset before taking my JL in! :)
No, I just told them about the Star bulletin and they ordered it. As long as the number on your stabilizer falls within the replacement range they have to replace it.

CyBourg

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 07 Honda S2000, 2018 JLU Sport O)|||||(O
If I hit a small bump at 70+ my entire front end feels like it’s violently wobbling from aside to side, almost bouncing. It doesn’t stop until I decelerate to around 50 mph? Anyone else experience this? Death wobble?
Sponsored