Sponsored

Death Wobble looking for fix

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I have about 13k on my 18 JLUR. It has had the 37's and mopar lift since it had about 500 miles on it. I have noticed under the right conditions it would have a hint of death wobble. Nothing so bad it kept me and my wife from racking up 13k over the last year or so.

Recently I have noticed it seemed to have gotten worse. Not wanting to deal with the dealer I ended up just putting a steersmarts Yeti track bar on it. Afterwards it seems worse...which is kind of hard to believe.

I haven't had it aligned since, and probably should....I am considering replacing the drag link and tie rod with steersmarts next.

Anyone have any feedback on this? I have read a few on this board swear that eliminated all poor handling issues. I hate to have to dump $1500 into the steering on this rig at the moment...other priorities currently.

Reluctant to get the dealer involved now, esp after I have replaced the track bar because I am sure they will complain about that and point fingers.
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
There was a V41 recall on the steering stabilizer for death wobble under certain conditions (I believe it was colder temps and maybe certain speeds). With your setup it's no guarantee but if you take it in they'll swap it to the newer style for free.

Vicious

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 13k on my 18 JLUR. It has had the 37's and mopar lift since it had about 500 miles on it. I have noticed under the right conditions it would have a hint of death wobble. Nothing so bad it kept me and my wife from racking up 13k over the last year or so.

Recently I have noticed it seemed to have gotten worse. Not wanting to deal with the dealer I ended up just putting a steersmarts Yeti track bar on it. Afterwards it seems worse...which is kind of hard to believe.

I haven't had it aligned since, and probably should....I am considering replacing the drag link and tie rod with steersmarts next.

Anyone have any feedback on this? I have read a few on this board swear that eliminated all poor handling issues. I hate to have to dump $1500 into the steering on this rig at the moment...other priorities currently.

Reluctant to get the dealer involved now, esp after I have replaced the track bar because I am sure they will complain about that and point fingers.
I had bump wobble problems when I did the Mopar lift. I replaced with lower adjustable control arms, adjustable track bar fox factory steering stabilizer, and had alignment done. Drives great now. I believe the adjustable track bar and alignment fixed the problem.

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Id start by re-torquing all of your steering and front end components. Start with the trackbar as that's often the culprit

OP
OP
RELBUS

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Id start by re-torquing all of your steering and front end components. Start with the trackbar as that's often the culprit
Tried doing that the other night, and noticed no improvement.
Judging from your avatar pic, it looks like you you got over 3”’of lift, did you center your axle when you put on new track bar or did you match the factory one? Also you probably don’t have enough caster if you used the fixed control arms that came with the kit.
The track bar was matched to the factory one. I intended to have the alignment shop dial in the exact appropriate length to perfectly center the axle. That avatar pic was taken when it was brand new, I feel like it has settled some...and the axle never seemed THAT off. I would not have bought the SS trackbar had DW not shown up. I did use the fixed arms that came with the kit.

What is ideal caster? The Jeep is scheduled to go to get an alignment on Thurs morning. Arms were also on my wish list but until recently they didnt seem necessary. might need to bump up the urgency on that mod as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RELBUS

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I had bump wobble problems when I did the Mopar lift. I replaced with lower adjustable control arms, adjustable track bar fox factory steering stabilizer, and had alignment done. Drives great now. I believe the adjustable track bar and alignment fixed the problem.
What length did you set the adjustable arms to? Or do you remember the difference between the adjustable arms and the ones included with the mopar lift?

Vicious

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
What length did you set the adjustable arms to? Or do you remember the difference between the adjustable arms and the ones included with the mopar lift?
The lower control arms fixed the caster but did not fix the Bump wobble. Had to center the axle with the new adjustable track bar and threw in the steering stabilizer for good measure. The track bar fixed my bump wobble I believe.

OP
OP
RELBUS

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Around 6 degrees seems to be the sweet spot, I’m running 6.5 on mine. If you get a chance to measure a rubicon on the lot and measure yours, you can see how much lift you got, I’d be curious to know. Measure from top of the axle to bottom of upper spring housing if your willing and able of course.....:) Do you have more recent pics? Another way to tell if axle is off the bump stop will be close to if not touching the coil spring on drivers side. Good looking rig btw....:like:
Thank you. I will try and post some pics and report back Thursday once I leave the alignment shop. The axle looks pretty centered, I have been keeping an eye on distance from bump stop cup to coil because mopar springs like to bow. I will measure my sisters JLUR or hit the dealer to measure...whichever opportunity presents itself first.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. I will try and post some pics and report back Thursday once I leave the alignment shop. The axle looks pretty centered, I have been keeping an eye on distance from bump stop cup to coil because mopar springs like to bow. I will measure my sisters JLUR or hit the dealer to measure...whichever opportunity presents itself first.
If you get some rk coil isolators, they’re 30.00 or less with coupon code at @River City Offroad, Marcus will take good care of you. They’ll take the bow out of your springs. Here’s what mine looked like on the rk perches.

1D40613B-7919-47BA-8AE0-67665D6872D0.jpeg

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had some bump steer so not the "death wobble" everyone talks about. But similar setup to yours. I replaced both front and rear track bars with Rancho. Centered the axles when I installed. Verified my alignment with some measurements. Mine drives MUCH better. I checked my caster and mine is >6 degrees with the factory control arms, which I understand is the goal. Personally I don't think those are needed for everyone.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RELBUS

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Got under the Jeep tonight and had my wife saw the wheel back and forth while I inspected all the linkages. Draglink has excessive play. Ordered the steersmarts stuff draglink and it should be here Friday. Probably just going to add the tie rod and be done for good with steering. There goes my winch fund.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Also check wheel balance. A slightly out of balance front tire will give you fits.

OP
OP
RELBUS

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
Also check wheel balance. A slightly out of balance front tire will give you fits.
Appreciate the suggestion
I dont think its an out of balance tire...but I will have them checked at the next rotation.

Krawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon

I have almost the same exact setup (Mopar lift, 37s, Mopar bead locks). Recently (at ~7000miles) I've started noticing the bump wobble under certain conditions as well. Keenly interested to follow along as you solve the issue.

OP
OP
RELBUS

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I have almost the same exact setup (Mopar lift, 37s, Mopar bead locks). Recently (at ~7000miles) I've started noticing the bump wobble under certain conditions as well. Keenly interested to follow along as you solve the issue.
Yes you do, like my sting grey twin. Even the same RSE sliders. The steer smarts stuff arrives Friday, and I hope to install it Saturday morning.
Sponsored