Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bongorayproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimted
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing everything from slight steering wheel shimmy to death wobble on my 2018 Jeep JLUR. I have a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift with 35" BFG KO2s mounted. I've had an alignment done with everything in spec. I'm still having the issue.

Jeep has been pretty attentive and willing to help until I told them I have a lift installed. It's a pretty easy cop out in my opinion. Long story short. Has Jeep done anything for anyone with this same issue? I remember seeing some people had Jeep spring to replace their steering damper with an aftermarket Fox unit. I've searched for these posts but cannot find them.

My dealership refuses to diagnose my issue since I have a lift. I'm not putting the Jeep back to stock. Jeep has already replaced my steering damper, but it didn't fix the issue. They said a redesigned front track bar, but it won't help me with the lift installed. The RK lift already has a beefier track bar.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing everything from slight steering wheel shimmy to death wobble on my 2018 Jeep JLUR. I have a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift with 35" BFG KO2s mounted. I've had an alignment done with everything in spec. I'm still having the issue.

Jeep has been pretty attentive and willing to help until I told them I have a lift installed. It's a pretty easy cop out in my opinion. Long story short. Has Jeep done anything for anyone with this same issue? I remember seeing some people had Jeep spring to replace their steering damper with an aftermarket Fox unit. I've searched for these posts but cannot find them.

My dealership refuses to diagnose my issue since I have a lift. I'm not putting the Jeep back to stock. Jeep has already replaced my steering damper, but it didn't fix the issue. They said a redesigned front track bar, but it won't help me with the lift installed. The RK lift already has a beefier track bar.

Thanks!
Just got my 19 jlu back Friday. Was experiencing light death wobble. Don't have a lift. Dealer replaced track bar and steering stabilizer with updated versions
I haventdriven it much since I got it back but steering is stiffer and tighter. Will know more after Tuesday's 115 mile trip.

Dealer should still be able to swap you out for the upgraded stabilizer and trackbar. Also need up your drag link and add more caster.

OP
OP
bongoray

bongoray

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my 19 jlu back Friday. Was experiencing light death wobble. Don't have a lift. Dealer replaced track bar and steering stabilizer with updated versions
I haventdriven it much since I got it back but steering is stiffer and tighter. Will know more after Tuesday's 115 mile trip.

Dealer should still be able to swap you out for the upgraded stabilizer and trackbar. Also need up your drag link and add more caster.
Thanks for the reply! I already have an aftermarket track bar with my lift. I'm also running almost 6 degrees of castor and I still have the problem.

Jeep is about to close my case and walk away. That's why I'm checking to see what others have had luck with.

Buckleup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Jl 2.0
The only reason I got the Mopar lift is because they would repair and replace parts and diagnose problems. I suffered from the death wobble on my new Jl with 800 miles after the lift. I went to the dealer and discovered there is an active case on the wobble and shimmy and they are replacing some of the front end components with superseded components with upgraded bushings. I believe they are first replacing A arms. The A arms that came in the lift were recalled, but for some reason they were left in the kits when installed. I would also recommend checking to see if the axle is sitting square over the frame. I learned my front and rear are off by 3/4 of an inch. Some type of rear relocation bracket is going to be installed in the rear and adjustment somehow to the front track bar to bring the frame back to center. I believe FCA is discovering the 2 inch lift (which raised mine 3.5 inches) is throwing off the geometry too much. My dealer is being guided by a tech directly with FCA.

Last edited:

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, at 500 miles it happened....brought it in, fixed it no problems. No front end modifications were done so I'm sure that why I didn't get any hassles.

Sponsored

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have a lift? What did they change?

Thanks!

No, no lift, they replaced the steering stablizer. cleared up pretty well. The left side still does it a little. They said to bring it back and they will redo the left side.

OP
OP
bongoray

bongoray

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update...

I reached out to Dr. Deathwobble on facebook. He suggested having slightly less toe in and more caster than what I was previously running. BOOM! No more wobble. The Jeep is rock solid over all bumps and tracks way better.

Previous settings:
Caster L: 5.1 R: 5.2
Total toe: .22 deg in

New settings:
Caster L: 6.7 R: 6.9
Total toe: .17

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
My JLUR has no wobble

Leafs3

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara Ocean Blue
Follow up from months ago. I had my '18 JLU Saraha into the dealer 4 times, starting at 2000 miles. 3 bad factory steering dampers. They put the Fox one on at 13,000 miles, and I haven't had a problem since. They also gave me $1400 (4 payments) for my troubles.
No issues since!

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
No wobble but definitely drifts hard at times with a lift and 35s
Sponsored