Sponsored

Death Wobble - Brand new 2022 Sahara @ 500 miles

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Ok - will keep it short. This is only my 2nd post here and i may be labeled a troll - far from it - but i warn you now this is a rant!. I took my first real highway trip today and a slight change in topography at highway speed sent the car into the "wobble". I was like wtf and pulled off to the shoulder but the ride smoothed out when i slowed down. I resumed my trip and it triggered on similar topography changes but not as bad cuz i knew how to minimize it by slowing and a little finger crossing. I scanned thread topics looking for recourse - not a fix - because clearly these incompetent fools who produce the POS are clueless on its cause or how to fix it because they are still churning out cars with this problem. Thankfully i was driving the car because my wife may have died if she was!!! I am going to call headquarters and demand a refund. I refuse to have me or my wife be added to their collection of lab rats to be used to find a cure because right now there doesn't appear to be one!!! As stated in the title - there are only 500 miles on the vehicle.
Wait…

the thread title says death wobble on a Jeep Sahara, but you said you were driving a “car”?

sorry I had to…

but on a serious note I hope whatever is going on gets rectified for you and the wife driving safety wise.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mountainrivera

mountainrivera

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Unlimited
Wait…

the thread title says death wobble on a Jeep Sahara, but you said you were driving a “car”?

sorry I had to…

but on a serious note I hope whatever is going on gets rectified for you and the wife driving safety wise.
Lmao. It was meant to insult.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm really sad and mad at the same time. I wish the leadership at Jeep would prioritize the engineering resources to put this issue to rest. I mean, what the hell else is the suspension and steering engineering department doing anyway? The incompetent leadership in Jeep is building a legend, a bad one, while exposing the public to an undue hazard. How are these people still in a job? I want Jeep to succeed. But, the leadership apparently is either so incompetent that they can't fix the obvious issues that have become part of the Jeep lore, or they are intentionally trying to trash the brand.

Meanwhile NHTSA has been negligent in their duties on this and other Jeep issues.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If this happened to me, I would be as upset as the OP is. However, if you search the internet there are stories like this of new vehicles having catastrophic failures from every make and every model. It is rare, but it happens. As others have said, take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. Hopefully as simple as a something not tightened properly.
That's really the issue, isn't it? It isn't "rare" with the Jeep.

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD > BMW X5, Toy > JLUR 392
Jeep has quality issues. Learn to live with them or just move on.

I had heard that out of all Jeep models, the Sahara and the High Altitude drive the best. It’s sad to know you’re having this issue.

In case this makes you feel any better - I have a new 392, every option, bone stock. It was unsafe to drive new (not death wobble). I had a wandering issue. It just would not go straight.

I got the front LCA’s replaced to correct caster. The shop that did the work said the welds on the front axle are 1/4” off (I think left side). So it is impossible to have equal caster on both sides, there will be a difference of 0.5 -0.3 degrees between the sides.

should it come from factory like this? I don’t know. It’s atleast safe to drive now. But does not drive like a new 85k-90k vehicle should drive.

Sponsored

Birdcatcher

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD > BMW X5, Toy > JLUR 392
Till the time Jeep owners (and new people) continue to buy Jeeps, spend their own hard earned money to fix issues that come from factory, even void warranty in some cases, JEEP/ Stelantis will not do anything to improve quality.

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Ok - will keep it short. This is only my 2nd post here and i may be labeled a troll - far from it - but i warn you now this is a rant!. I took my first real highway trip today and a slight change in topography at highway speed sent the car into the "wobble". I was like wtf and pulled off to the shoulder but the ride smoothed out when i slowed down. I resumed my trip and it triggered on similar topography changes but not as bad cuz i knew how to minimize it by slowing and a little finger crossing. I scanned thread topics looking for recourse - not a fix - because clearly these incompetent fools who produce the POS are clueless on its cause or how to fix it because they are still churning out cars with this problem. Thankfully i was driving the car because my wife may have died if she was!!! I am going to call headquarters and demand a refund. I refuse to have me or my wife be added to their collection of lab rats to be used to find a cure because right now there doesn't appear to be one!!! As stated in the title - there are only 500 miles on the vehicle.
I read through all the posts, didn't see an answer. Is your brand new Jeep modified in any way? Wheels, tires, lift, etc?

Thank you.

JonL

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Obviously covered under warranty, but a major pain. I had the wobble hit hard around 40k just after warranty ran out on my ‘19. I know many say steering stabilizer isn’t a real fix, but upgrading to the Mopar/Fox one has solved it for me so far. If their fix is to just replace the stabilizer with the basic factory one(which is what the dealer said is their default action on warranty), I’d push hard at least for the upgraded Fox version on warranty.

1046john

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
My 2021 Sahara 4xe started this wobble at 7,000 miles. In earnest, I’m sure, was given all kinds advice and a checklist a mile long of things I should check. Well at 7,000 or much less 500, there’s nothing anyone should be checking, nor should we or could we be giving advice to the dealership service department. I documented my episodes and got several good videos. After the 4th attempt and 40?days in the shop, I contacted Stellantis to begin a buyback. That took several weeks of moving from one approval process to the next. This company gets a 5 star for customer service and making the process seamless. My dealership has been stellar as well. My new 2023 identical 4xe arrived yesterday. At every step, I felt they were there to solve my problem and keep my business. I got every penny back, less the 7000 miles prior to my first report. I was given an Employees CDI number for a substantial discount. This is how I fixed the wobble.

akabonanza

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara
I had 400 miles on my 22 Sahara and experience a similar wobble . There is no recall so I called parts and they researched and under "steering issues" not totally sure what they called it in there research.The part was just installed it. On my work order it is called Damper-steering replacement. Service said it is the latest fix ?? I need a good hole as I just got it back, will advise.
This may be the part # on the WO , 1 68251580AG 19030006Y. I have big an issue of oscillation that can not be fixed so I think am off to lemon law , good luck.

Sponsored

akabonanza

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara
I also was offered a new 23 Sahara at no cost but they would not say if the replacement jeep would not have the same issue so I lost all my confidence on a new Jeep.

treesmacker

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Sport S 2.0, 2013 Honda Accord V6
I had 400 miles on my 22 Sahara and experience a similar wobble . There is no recall so I called parts and they researched and under "steering issues" not totally sure what they called it in there research.The part was just installed it. On my work order it is called Damper-steering replacement. Service said it is the latest fix ?? I need a good hole as I just got it back, will advise.
This may be the part # on the WO , 1 68251580AG 19030006Y. I have big an issue of oscillation that can not be fixed so I think am off to lemon law , good luck.
https://www.mopar-discounts.com/oem-parts/mopar-steering-damper-68251580ag

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Could be a bum steering stabilizer still. Even new ones have some bad ones in the mix.
I know as I sell them. Sold hundreds of thousands but have had hundreds of bad ones over time
Gabriels
Hopefully its something simple like that :(
As far as all the death wobbles on Jeep Wranglers go - many suspiciously appear right after a mod as not all the stuff we buy actually works right - even the Mopar stuff 🤪

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Nobody has mentioned wheel balance. Have driven quite a few 0 mile trucks, GMs, with wheel balance problems. Had the problem with my "20 JLU Eco Diesel recently. Stick on weights had come off. Discount Tire has the Road Force Balancer, the best. Bought / mounted my Nittos there, free rebalance / rotation.
I agree - dealer should retorque everything…and road force balance tires. I picking up a bit of wobble on some surface transitions at high speed. My first step is a tire rebalance.
Sponsored